HWS PQ

ggw2000

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 20, 2004
Out here somewhere
In looking at the specs for the HWS it appears that there is an option to output 1080P? Currently I have a 722K (1080i) and have heard that the Hopper outputs a better signal resulting in a better picture? I know this is subjective but what are your thoughts coming from a VIP to Hopper. PQ is not terrible on my 4K 75" display but would like better if possible.
Opinions more than welcome,
Gerry

Most here will agree the Hopper PQ is better than the VIPs thanks to improved chipsets. 1080p only applies to applicable VOD.

Reactions: navychop
Most here will agree the Hopper PQ is better than the VIPs thanks to improved chipsets. 1080p only applies to applicable VOD.

In other words, standard output is a high of 1080i like the 722K...
Also, will a HWS recognize a EHD coming from a 722K with all my shows on without reformatting? If so, could I then move all the shows from the EHD to the Hopper internal drive?
Thanks, Gerry

In other words, standard output is a high of 1080i like the 722K...
Also, will a HWS recognize a EHD coming from a 722K with all my shows on without reformatting? If so, could I then move all the shows from the EHD to the Hopper internal drive?
Thanks, Gerry
You'd be better off just leaving your recordings on the EHD.

Why put out cash you don't need to, unless you are chronic service provider switcher, chasing new customer deals? If not, just lease.

Why put out cash you don't need to, unless you are chronic service provider switcher, chasing new customer deals? If not, just lease.
Remember the fun fella that thought Dish was stealing from him because he could not take his recordings with him to his new provider.

Reactions: navychop and KAB

Yea, I know leasing is the way to go but I just have this thing in the back of my little pee brain about contracts :). Good or bad I have been with Dish since 1998 but have been out of contract for about 6 years now.. I currently have a 211K on my account that we use for our RV. And two 722Ks.. I use the 211K during the winter in one bedroom and it has to stay on my account. I would replace the two 722Ks with a HWS and Super Joey.. I have a DPP44 downstairs providing inputs to all the above. I really don't need any hassles with Dish on the 211K and one of the reasons I have been holding back on doing the upgrade..
Gerry

I really don't need any hassles with Dish on the 211K and one of the reasons I have been holding back on doing the upgrade..
Gerry
Why are you worried about hassles over the 211? Dish now allows two, owned 211s on a Hopper account. Just tell them you RV.

Reactions: Troch77
You don't even need to tell them you're a RVer!
Dish doesn't care if you have a 211 hooked up to your home address with your Hopper equipment. They will hook up the required equipment to make it all work.

Don't be Scared.

Thanks for all the feedback!! Since I'm not in a big hurry at this point what do you guys think that Dish will announce at CES? Maybe an updated hopper?
Gerry

Very possible. We know one was registered with the FCC, but beyond that, we do not have any details. It may be CES, it may be longer. If in no hurry, I would wait. Or upgrade now, get use to the functionality, then upgrade again if the new one comes out and give it a shot. You will already be pat the major learning curve. Depends on what you want to do. Both ideas are great in my opinion, and time is a valuable thing when it comes to dish releasing products(the new UI for example)

Very possible. We know one was registered with the FCC, but beyond that, we do not have any details. It may be CES, it may be longer. If in no hurry, I would wait. Or upgrade now, get use to the functionality, then upgrade again if the new one comes out and give it a shot. You will already be pat the major learning curve. Depends on what you want to do. Both ideas are great in my opinion, and time is a valuable thing when it comes to dish releasing products(the new UI for example)

At this point I will probably wait and see what's announced and timeframe of availability if an updated Hopper is indeed announced. Since we have to learn a new UI anyway might as well do it once in case there is any major differences between current UI and a different one with an upgrade (probably not).. If availability is a fairly long time then I would probably just go ahead and go with current HWS and then deal with an updated one after it's available. Appreciate your thoughts on the matter..
Gerry

Waiting might just prolong the wait. There could be a wait for roll-out. Then, it's usually wise to wait (not be an early adapter) for the firmware bugs to be worked out and get a feel for reliability. By this time next year, I would hope all would be known.

In the meantime, you could be enjoying a HWS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)