HWS to H3 setting question(s)

DTV2DISHGUY

Original poster
Aug 19, 2017
TX
I just upgraded from HWS to H3 and the installer assured me that the setting from the original remote transferred.
I kept the same (52.0) remote and am using that now, but it's been over 4 hours and I see NO Timers, Favorite Lists or configuration changes/customizations. How long should I wait before trying again?

I just upgraded from HWS to H3 and the installer assured me that the setting from the original remote transferred.
I kept the same (52.0) remote and am using that now, but it's been over 4 hours and I see NO Timers, Favorite Lists or configuration changes/customizations. How long should I wait before trying again?

Did you back up to your old remote? Do you still have the HWS and its Remote? If not, you're out of luck. If you did back up, then you should be able to restore most of that. If not, sorry, you have a lot of work to do. It's not automatic. Many of us also have kept and prefer the 40.0 remote.

Yes, I did the system fro Diagnostics/tools backup and kept that remote. The tech told me it was automatic, but I never saw prompts like the instructions said would happen.
I do not have the HWS, he took it back with him. I will try doing the restore in the Diag/Tools.
Thanks!

Yes, I did the system fro Diagnostics/tools backup and kept that remote. The tech told me it was automatic, but I never saw prompts like the instructions said would happen.
I do not have the HWS, he took it back with him. I will try doing the restore in the Diag/Tools.
Thanks!

The back-up is automatic, the restore isn't. I hope the new receiver hasn't backed up to the old remote and over written the settings yet. Good luck.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Wow. 72 hours. That's lot of lost recordings!

I went ahead and did the restore settings to receiver option and got all 82 Timers back immediately. Favorites and personalized settings I can redo if need be.

I have to say, the H3 is much more responsive than the HWS - especially when using the EHD (where I store all the movies).

I did get the Black Screen o' Death where nothing would happen once when I was high-speed channel swapping 4 live channels at once in MultiView. A channel up click fixed it, but dumped all the buffers. I am guessing it's just a lack of memory that causes it.

Wow. 72 hours. That's lot of lost recordings!

I went ahead and did the restore settings to receiver option and got all 82 Timers back immediately. Favorites and personalized settings I can redo if need be.

I have to say, the H3 is much more responsive than the HWS - especially when using the EHD (where I store all the movies).

I did get the Black Screen o' Death where nothing would happen once when I was high-speed channel swapping 4 live channels at once in MultiView. A channel up click fixed it, but dumped all the buffers. I am guessing it's just a lack of memory that causes it.

Glad you got your timers restored. The restore process has been hit or miss lately. :)

Thank you. I was really relieved to see all of them come back. Backing up and restoring was another selling point in my move to DISH.

I was surprised to find that when I press the INPUT button on the side of the remote that the H3 didn't switch to the next active tuner. Instead it went into MultiView with four active channels displayed. I can switch between them using the arrow buttons or (get ready) the RECALL button! Pressing the Select button makes the current one full screen and the buffers are retained in all 4!

You folks may already know that, but in all the reading I did before the switch I never saw anything about it - just that MultiView lets you watch 4 channels at once. I figure with all the negative posts about the H3 I should post something good for those contemplating an upgrade.

Can take up to 72 hours.
I'm really sorry to hear that some have to wait 24, 48, 72 hours for things to update but in all of my upgrades everything has been immediate. No need to wait for anything. Guides update within an hour or so. Once restored, timers show up and work right away. If you have to wait more than a couple of hours for the receiver to be up to date and for timers to begin functioning, something is wrong.

Waiting too long to attempt a restore from the remote risks the automatic update overwriting the old receiver's settings !!!

I have had difficulty with timer/settings restore. I have had to go back to the old receiver and perform another backup. So it's best to make sure the restore is successful before letting the tech leave with the old receiver.

BTW, Many (most??) techs don't even know about the backup/restore process.

I always to a manual backup with the old receiver before attempting a restore on the new receiver. I don't trust the automatic backups.

Thank you. I was really relieved to see all of them come back. Backing up and restoring was another selling point in my move to DISH.

I was surprised to find that when I press the INPUT button on the side of the remote that the H3 didn't switch to the next active tuner. Instead it went into MultiView with four active channels displayed. I can switch between them using the arrow buttons or (get ready) the RECALL button! Pressing the Select button makes the current one full screen and the buffers are retained in all 4!

You folks may already know that, but in all the reading I did before the switch I never saw anything about it - just that MultiView lets you watch 4 channels at once. I figure with all the negative posts about the H3 I should post something good for those contemplating an upgrade.

If you have already used MultiView during your current viewing session that's what happens. If you press Input when you first turn it on then the Input button should work like a swap function. Same with the Recall button, MV previously used then MV, if not then the Recall channel banner.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)