HWS vs H3

bchandler02

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 26, 2006
Like most people, I got carbon pushed to my HWS this week, and like many, I've grown to hate it quickly.

So far my two biggest issues are 1) recordings being split into multiple fragments, and 2) recordings showing black screen when trying to play back. This is the core function of a DVR, that I pay a monthly service for, and now am not getting that service.

Yes it's slower - I don't like that, but I could learn to deal if I had to.

So, chat with Dish and their answer is "How about upgrading to H3?" which they first offered for $100, then $50, now free. There's still the $3/month fee increase though, and on principal I refuse to pay more to fix what they broke. But it got me thinking - I've seen alot of H3 threads since it launched, which is what kept me from upgrading prior to this. Is it really more stable/faster, or do the same issues apply to it still? What other major bugs exist with it. Any OTA problems?

Thnaks!

Reactions: charlesrshell
Like most people, I got carbon pushed to my HWS this week, and like many, I've grown to hate it quickly.

So far my two biggest issues are 1) recordings being split into multiple fragments, and 2) recordings showing black screen when trying to play back. This is the core function of a DVR, that I pay a monthly service for, and now am not getting that service.

So, chat with Dish and their answer is "How about upgrading to H3?" which they first offered for $100, then $50, now free. There's still the $3/month fee increase though, and on principal I refuse to pay more to fix what they broke. But it got me thinking - I've seen alot of H3 threads since it launched, which is what kept me from upgrading prior to this. Is it really more stable/faster, or do the same issues apply to it still? What other major bugs exist with it. Any OTA problems?

Thnaks!
Just Do It! Most of the major bugs have been ironed out. No OTA problems, other than the old can't add channel vs a re-scan. You won't regret it.

Thnaks!
I just upgraded to Hopper 3 system. I have no issues at all thanks to members in SatGuys forum going thru all the bumps and bruises reporting issues to DISH since the Hopper 3 was available.. You are getting a good deal and in my opinion you need to jump on it. You will never be happier.

Reactions: gasman882001
Good to know. So the general consensus is that H3 is stable (at least more so than HWS on Carbon) and no major issues at this point?

The performance difference alone is worth the free upgrade you've been offered (assuming you don't mind the contract extension)...everything else is just gravy. :D

Thnaks!
Well....you can stand on principle if you want, but I'd want a functional DVR.

Got my H3 last June after moving to a new house. It's been rock solid with the exception of a couple of apps (Netflix & YouTube) that have HDMI problems. The only thing I miss from my 722 is the 4x FF; otherwise it is the best DVR I've ever used. No major issues at all from my perspective.

I upgraded from HWS to H3 a few weeks ago.
Once we transferred everything from the HWS to the H3 via Ethernet and recreated our timers (the CUI upgrade on the HWS reset them to blank) it has been working well.
The main hiccup has been the new 52 remote. It is different and there is a learning curve. I deleted a show I was watching when I missed the mute button and hit the recall/delete button. My wife rented a couple movies because she hit too many of the wrong buttons.

I upgraded from HWS to H3 a few weeks ago.
Once we transferred everything from the HWS to the H3 via Ethernet and recreated our timers (the CUI upgrade on the HWS reset them to blank) it has been working well.
The main hiccup has been the new 52 remote. It is different and there is a learning curve. I deleted a show I was watching when I missed the mute button and hit the recall/delete button. My wife rented a couple movies because she hit too many of the wrong buttons.
WOW, yall are having a ruff go of the o 52.0. LOL. Us too but gradually starting to like it, but of course the trusty 40.0 is sitting close by.

Reactions: pattykay
It's my understanding that an upgrade from the HWS to the H3 would require new LNB's which will not accommodate my wing dish. Then there's also the increased fee for the H3. I've read people's stories about how wonderful the H3 is and how one wouldn't have any more tuner/recording conflicts but I'm happy with the HWS and don't record everything under the sun and never use all the tuners I have.
One solution for existing non-H3 customers would have been to let them retain S545 even though Dish probably wouldn't upgrade it. At least it worked.

One solution for existing non-H3 customers would have been to let them retain S545 even though Dish probably wouldn't upgrade it. At least it worked.

I agree. While it sounds like the H3 experience is pretty good, (thank you all for the feedback), I still have issues with paying a higher fee just to get a working device. What's to stop Dish from crippling the H3 down the road and forcing everyone to the H4 with a $25 fee? It's just unethical behavior and I'm not sure I want to be a part of it.

For the first time in ~15 years, I'm actually looking into cable TV. Also looking into cord cutting - not sure what direction I want to go yet.

Thnaks!

There are some things I want to check on your account. Is there any way to DM with the phone number and 4-digit PIN on the account?

I also got the carbon on one of my HWS (Bedroom Hopper ... BH). I'm definitely not a fan. Not only having to relearn many simple chores but one big issue that I used all the time. I frequently record programs on one Hopper (Living room Hopper ... LRH ... which has not been updated ... yet) and then watch it on the BH. After the update, I can only watch Prime TV recordings from the LRH, not any other kind of regular recording.

So far, nobody at Dish has done anything useful. They'll give me the H3 for no upgrade fee and no extra commitments, but they won't back down on the increased monthly fee. Their solution has been to try and decrease my programming (I have AEP), which I don't want to do - I actually watch alot of stuff.

The sad thing here - What I pay now between Dish and Cox (for HSI) is about $190 - and that's for 150M internet. The offer they made was the "almost everything" package (which I am fine with, the few that aren't included are not important) and 300M internet for $152 a month @ 12 months, then $172 for 13-24. And yet I'm still willing to pay more for Dish - if they would make this right.

The real kicker - I just looked and if you sign up new with Dish, the DVR service is $15 (vs my current $12) - BUT, you get this gem: "Hopper Savings $5x24 Mo". So that's literally all they have to do to make this right is apply that and I'd even come out cheaper - but I guess they'd rather lose a customer.

Reactions: pattykay
And yet I'm still willing to pay more for Dish - if they would make this right.

I guess it comes down to whether your convictions about making your point (by leaving Dish) are more important to you than the fact you still prefer Dish over Cox. Depending on just how much you like Dish's service/equipment over and above Cox's service/equipment/bundling, perhaps the old saying about "cutting off your nose to spite your face" would be appropriate here.

Another way you could look at it. When you see that the majority of the people are still having to pay a minimum of $100 for the H3 upgrade and they have offered it to you for free...that savings of $100 would cover nearly three years worth of that extra $3 monthly fee you are fighting.

I guess it comes down to whether your convictions about making your point (by leaving Dish) are more important to you than the fact you still prefer Dish over Cox. Depending on just how much you like Dish's service/equipment over and above Cox's service/equipment/bundling, perhaps the old saying about "cutting off your nose to spite your face" would be appropriate here.

Another way you could look at it. When you see that the majority of the people are still having to pay a minimum of $100 for the H3 upgrade and they have offered it to you for free...that savings of $100 would cover nearly three years worth of that extra $3 monthly fee you are fighting.
You do have a very good point there. I'm going to chew on it over the weekend and decide Monday.

I also got the carbon on one of my HWS (Bedroom Hopper ... BH). I'm definitely not a fan. Not only having to relearn many simple chores but one big issue that I used all the time. I frequently record programs on one Hopper (Living room Hopper ... LRH ... which has not been updated ... yet) and then watch it on the BH. After the update, I can only watch Prime TV recordings from the LRH, not any other kind of regular recording.
If you go ahead and update the second Hopper, they can see each others recordings.

The incompatibility you are seeing is the 2 Hoppers have totally different software.

Conflicted timers will not transfer to the other Hopper, you will have to do it manually.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)