I almost switched back to Dish today, but sticking with DirecTV.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
So your thread tittle and post was made up? Not having that one channel in HD doesn't make a difference?

Reactions: whitewolf8214
So your thread tittle and post was made up? Not having that one channel in HD doesn't make a difference?

People change their minds all the time. I decided to use the Disney XD app on my Roku Ultra instead. I already knew you could do that, but I wasn’t really thinking about it plus it’s not my favorite option. But I’ve decided that nothing’s perfect plus I really want the Hopper 3 for several reasons and I also hate DirecTV’s DVRs.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: Pere845
It's the inadequate number of tuners with DirecTV. I didn't mind the equipment, but we had too many conflicts with only being about to record five things at a time. We can record and watch up to 16 things at a time with Dish. DirecTV would even be OK if they could even get up to ten tuners...

I haven't had the hopper, but for people to switch just because of a cable box seems kind of sill to me. D* equipment seems fine for me. I hit guide, it comes up. I hit record it records. I change a channel, and low and behold, the channel changes.

It's the inadequate number of tuners with DirecTV. I didn't mind the equipment, but we had too many conflicts with only being about to record five things at a time. We can record and watch up to 16 things at a time with Dish. DirecTV would even be OK if they could even get up to ten tuners...
You can with D*..

You can with D*..
I’ve heard they added a receiver that has more tuners where it’s headless and can’t be used with one of your TVs but that happened after I left and even when I looked a few months ago didn’t seem to be an option when signing up for service.

I’ve heard they added a receiver that has more tuners where it’s headless and can’t be used with one of your TVs but that happened after I left and even when I looked a few months ago didn’t seem to be an option when signing up for service.
They have LNB's out that handle up to 22 tuners ....
Now if your asking for a recvr that you can record 10 different shows at once, thats absurd.
The Genies will handle 5 ...

You guys all seem to forget ... it wasn't long ago that the most tuners on ANY recvr was 2 ... regardless of provider ...

Somehow we all managed to get by.

They more than double it and suddenly everyone wants MORE, MORE MORE....

If I could give you a recvr that had 20 tuners on it, you be happy for 5 minutes and then cry that you need More.

(This is directed at everyone ... you know if your in that group, not you Kirk)

They have LNB's out that handle up to 22 tuners ....
Now if your asking for a recvr that you can record 10 different shows at once, thats absurd.
The Genies will handle 5 ...

You guys all seem to forget ... it wasn't long ago that the most tuners on ANY recvr was 2 ... regardless of provider ...

Somehow we all managed to get by.

If I could give you a recvr that had 20 tuners on it, you be happy for 5 minutes and then cry that you need More.

(This is directed at everyone ... you know if your in that group, not you Kirk)

If Dish can do it why is it so hard for DTV?!? I’d be fine with less than the 16 I have now but five tuners is pitiful...

If Dish can do it why is it so hard for DTV?!? I’d be fine with less than the 16 I have now but five tuners is pitiful...

The HS17 has 7 user accessible tuners but it has 16 tuners inside it, just like the Hopper 3. Directv allocates them differently because of the way they are planning to do 4K (they aren't yet, but will once real 4K channels start appearing)

They may be over-prepared with 36 transponders available for 4K, but if 4K takes off Directv is in a great position while Dish will be on the sidelines lacking the bandwidth to handle it.

There is always a company that comes out with something that others say, why doesn't so and so do that .... someone is always ahead.

Which was out 1st, the Genie 34 or DISH version ?

The HS17 has 7 user accessible tuners but it has 16 tuners inside it, just like the Hopper 3. Directv allocates them differently because of the way they are planning to do 4K (they aren't yet, but will once real 4K channels start appearing)

They may be over-prepared with 36 transponders available for 4K, but if 4K takes off Directv is in a great position while Dish will be on the sidelines lacking the bandwidth to handle it.
Sadly that would be another nail on the coffin for Dish

Of course we want more, technology is always improving, why wouldn't we? When I was growing up, we "got by" with 5 OTA channels and nothing else, would you really want to go back to that?

I switched from Dish to DirecTV last year and am seriously considering going back. I don't need 16 tuners, but 5 isn't enough, I get still get conflicts. But the Hopper 3 has more than just tuners going for it. It has a larger hard drive (at least than my HR54), it has primetime anytime. If you accidentally delete a recording, you can easily and quickly undelete it. It has FOLDERS, something so basic and easy to implement, I can't believe nobody else does. It has better OTA support, for one thing you can still buy the tuner from Dish, instead of having to pay through the nose on eBay like I did for my AM21, and I got a lot more channels on my Hopper with OTA than on my AM21. Also, the OTA tuner on Dish adds an additional tuner, while on DirecTV it does not. Subjectively, the Dish UI is better. DirecTV has better picture quality, I'll grant you that, and I got a pretty good deal by bundling with my home internet and cell phones, but I'm not sure it's enough.

Of course we want more, technology is always improving, why wouldn't we? When I was growing up, we "got by" with 5 OTA channels and nothing else, would you really want to go back to that?

I switched from Dish to DirecTV last year and am seriously considering going back. I don't need 16 tuners, but 5 isn't enough, I get still get conflicts. But the Hopper 3 has more than just tuners going for it. It has a larger hard drive (at least than my HR54), it has primetime anytime. If you accidentally delete a recording, you can easily and quickly undelete it. It has FOLDERS, something so basic and easy to implement, I can't believe nobody else does. It has better OTA support, for one thing you can still buy the tuner from Dish, instead of having to pay through the nose on eBay like I did for my AM21, and I got a lot more channels on my Hopper with OTA than on my AM21. Also, the OTA tuner on Dish adds an additional tuner, while on DirecTV it does not. Subjectively, the Dish UI is better. DirecTV has better picture quality, I'll grant you that, and I got a pretty good deal by bundling with my home internet and cell phones, but I'm not sure it's enough.
So, the question is, Why are you still here ?
Sounds like you've convinced yourself and made points that Dish is what you need ...
So ?

See ya.
Your not Forced to have D*.

Sounds like you've convinced yourself and made points that Dish is what you need ...
So ?

See ya.
So true. It's all preference in programming and equipment. I'm personally with Dish, but will never fault anyone who chooses DirecTV. For sports, DirecTV is second to none. As I only care about my local football and hockey, and Dish has NESN, I'm all set. As I care more about movies, I find that Dish has more of what I want. Nobody is at fault for their choices and means of getting their choices.

Reactions: Jimbo and Pere845
So ?

See ya.
I was just pointing out that there's more to the H3 than just more tuners.

As for why I'm staying, I'm in a 2-year contract. I knew that going in, and it's not like DirecTV is horrible or anything, I just prefer Dish after having used both.

So true. It's all preference in programming and equipment. I'm personally with Dish, but will never fault anyone who chooses DirecTV. For sports, DirecTV is second to none. As I only care about my local football and hockey, and Dish has NESN, I'm all set. As I care more about movies, I find that Dish has more of what I want. Nobody is at fault for their choices and means of getting their choices.
I'm returning to Dish and I will be getting league pass and EI through my chromcast possibly center ice as well. RedZone will be just fine for my NFL needs. Another thing I noticed over here at the DTV forum is how salty some of these guys get when you talk about
A. Something bad about DirecTV
B. Point out something thats wrong with DirecTV
C.You threaten or tell that you are leaving DirecTV
D. You question DirecTV
I'm not upset but thats how I feel. I myself like to frequent both the D* and Dish forums to keep up with both services.:bow

I just cancelled DirecTV yesterday. I am having Dish Network installed on July 1st. I really wanted the Hopper 3. (Not really a sports fan either.) I'll just watch Disney XD in HD on my Roku Ultra. But since I had it cancelled for that very night of yesterday, I'll be without cable/satellite channels for a little over a week. I guess I'll just have to stick to OTA on my 1 TB TiVo Bolt and streaming on my Roku Ultra and off my Mac to TV via HDMI for now.
You can get a lot of the XD programming in HD from the dish VOD option. it will download the program in high definition and with no commercials. I watched the entire Star Wars rebels series when it first aired using the Dish VOD feature. I think the lack of commercials is some kind of concession Disney provide dish because Ergen and Bob igar have been friendly the last few years. also I watched entire run of TV land show Younger in HD using the Dish VOD feature (sometimes there are commercials with in the younger VOD download but you can skip through the commercials like you would be DVR recording) because TV Land is also SD as a linear channel. the dish VOD feature is really quite good and works as a pretty good solution to SD linear channels. Also, while many of the AT 250 premium channels are in standard definition you can select most movies from the guide and you can download the high-definition version immediately. it usually takes one or two days after the premiere day of a new episode for a show to be available on dish VOD .

I'm still on the fence on switching back to dish but my reason is the RSN offerings. Still missing AT&T southwest and when will they get rid of the Sports alternate mess. Also if memory serves me right, they do not carry the regional Fox MLB games on EI like DirecTV does which is a deal breaker and do the HD RSN's still go off after midnight
Dish started carrying all of their RSN's in HD 24/7 about a year ago or so.

You had me agreeing with you all the way to when you said that DirecTV has better picture quality which I don't see. Yea, a few channels look better on DirecTV and some look better on Dish. And all of the SD channels look better on Dish. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)