I almost switched back to Dish today, but sticking with DirecTV.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I'm returning to Dish and I will be getting league pass and EI through my chromcast possibly center ice as well. RedZone will be just fine for my NFL needs. Another thing I noticed over here at the DTV forum is how salty some of these guys get when you talk about
A. Something bad about DirecTV
B. Point out something thats wrong with DirecTV
C.You threaten or tell that you are leaving DirecTV
D. You question DirecTV
I'm not upset but thats how I feel. I myself like to frequent both the D* and Dish forums to keep up with both services.:bow

I wish I could 'Like' that post twice. It's not very friendly in the DirecTV forum unless you're in the cheerleader squad. :)

I was just pointing out that there's more to the H3 than just more tuners.

As for why I'm staying, I'm in a 2-year contract. I knew that going in, and it's not like DirecTV is horrible or anything, I just prefer Dish after having used both.
Thats WAY different than you post above.

I'm returning to Dish and I will be getting league pass and EI through my chromcast possibly center ice as well. RedZone will be just fine for my NFL needs. Another thing I noticed over here at the DTV forum is how salty some of these guys get when you talk about
D. You question DirecTV
I'm not upset but thats how I feel. I myself like to frequent both the D* and Dish forums to keep up with both services.:bow
Question is, WHY are you Threatening to leave a provider, just do it, you don't need to post a new thread or even post that your leaving ...
We've all heard the threats and complaints, I don't understand why people do that ....

If you were with DISH and coming to D* would you go in the DISH thread and post that your leaving ?
If so, WHY ?

People that do that are doing one of 2 things .... either proclaiming that they are leaving (why make a big deal of it) or 2 ... wanting to be told why they shouldn't.

Been here a long time now and seen ALL the posts proclaiming this or that.
It gets annoying ...

If you have a question about how things work with D*, were happy to help out.

Reactions: bobtet
You had me agreeing with you all the way to when you said that DirecTV has better picture quality which I don't see. Yea, a few channels look better on DirecTV and some look better on Dish. And all of the SD channels look better on Dish. :)

Directv's SD channels will look a LOT better on April 2nd next year. Not that most people care, since everyone who watches an SD channel would much rather it be upgraded to HD than be better quality SD...

Reactions: Jimbo
So true. It's all preference in programming and equipment. I'm personally with Dish, but will never fault anyone who chooses DirecTV. For sports, DirecTV is second to none. As I only care about my local football and hockey, and Dish has NESN, I'm all set. As I care more about movies, I find that Dish has more of what I want. Nobody is at fault for their choices and means of getting their choices.

Interestingly sports is one of the reasons I went from DTV to Dish. I live in my local NFL market and just want the Red Zone channel, but there's no way to get that on DTV without the expensive Sunday Ticket Max add on. It was nice to have it free my first year but I didn't want to pay that each year...

Reactions: The Fat Man
D. You question DirecTV
Honestly, its expected. It happens in the Dish Forum as well. Some people are competatively loyal to their provider. Others just don't like knowing what they do might not be the best for others. I have a friend like that. If one thing of his setup is not better than everyone else, then he makes a hissy fit about it. Basically, they are trying to make a subjective matter, objective.

Reactions: Pere845
After calling D* about canceling and my ETF amount being a little on the high side :eek:, looks like I will be staying On D* for the moment.

If you haven't had the new Hopper then I can certainly understand why you can't see the box being a reason to choose Dish. If you haven't experienced Auto Hop and PTAT then the argument is moot. But those two features, especially Auto Hop, are hard to do without once you've had it. Unfortunately Dish falls behind DirecTV on overall PQ and having a 4K channel accessable 24/7.

Reactions: whitewolf8214
If you haven't had the new Hopper then I can certainly understand why you can't see the box being a reason to choose Dish. If you haven't experienced Auto Hop and PTAT then the argument is moot. But those two features, especially Auto Hop, are hard to do without once you've had it. Unfortunately Dish falls behind DirecTV on overall PQ and having a 4K channel accessable 24/7.

While I would certainly welcome better equipment from DTV, I don't care if Dish's equipment is capable of brewing my coffee; without the picture quality and channel choices, that box is like a car without gasoline.

Reactions: Jillian2
PQ and channel choices is also of most importance to me which is the main reason I switched from Dish to DirecTV after many years with Dish. With my 75 inch 4K TV the increase in overall PQ is quite noticeable, then throw in those sweet 4K channels.
As far as channel choices, I find it increasingly frustrating that DirecTV has yet to reach an agreement with the PAC 12 after way way too many years and that is a very big deal to me. If they need an arbitrator I am available. After spending almost 2 years with the Genie system which includes time with the HR54 and the HS17 and continuing to suffer through sound and vidieo problems which nobody seems able to fix I will probably go back to Dish when my contract expires. It was a difficult decision to switch before and the same differences between the two providers seems to have remained the same. The inability for DirecTV and the PAC 12 is probably the most frustrating because it's gone on for so long. Not Sure who's fault it is but I know it's not my fault.

While I would certainly welcome better equipment from DTV, I don't care if Dish's equipment is capable of brewing my coffee; without the picture quality and channel choices, that box is like a car without gasoline.

I can understand the channel choices arguments. I wish Dish had a package equivalent to Select. IMHO, neither Dish nor DirecTV have the PQ they should have, aside from UHD channels anyway, and there is so little content there, it really isn't an issue for most people. That said, PQ on both is still better than Spectrum, so either is fine.

PTAT and Auto Hop might be an allure for some, but I don't watch much network tv and it's easy enough to skip commercials. Dish may have better equipment, but what good is that to a Yankee fan since Dish doesn't carry the YES network? Programming is always the #1 consideration for me.

Reactions: Jillian2
PQ and channel choices is also of most importance to me which is the main reason I switched from Dish to DirecTV after many years with Dish. With my 75 inch 4K TV the increase in overall PQ is quite noticeable, then throw in those sweet 4K channels.
As far as channel choices, I find it increasingly frustrating that DirecTV has yet to reach an agreement with the PAC 12 after way way too many years and that is a very big deal to me. If they need an arbitrator I am available. After spending almost 2 years with the Genie system which includes time with the HR54 and the HS17 and continuing to suffer through sound and vidieo problems which nobody seems able to fix I will probably go back to Dish when my contract expires. It was a difficult decision to switch before and the same differences between the two providers seems to have remained the same. The inability for DirecTV and the PAC 12 is probably the most frustrating because it's gone on for so long. Not Sure who's fault it is but I know it's not my fault.
Isn't the Pac 12 issue a money issue, where they want much more than the other conference Networks .... if thats the case, they are shooting themselves in the foot.

They are actually asking for less than BTN or SECN get, but Directv doesn't think it is worth what they're asking. Even ignoring stuff like the lower ratings of Pac 12 games (because of time zones among other reasons) it doesn't make sense for Directv to pay much for Pac 12 Network because they've already lost all the subscribers who consider Pac 12 indispensable. Some might switch to Directv if it was available, but not enough to make it worth paying what Pac 12 wants as far as Directv is concerned. Most cord cutters are leaving due to price, adding a channel that 90% of people won't watch that adds a buck to the price for all west coast customers isn't a sound business decision in 2018.

Pac 12 can't offer them a better deal because they included "most favored nation" clauses in their other contracts, so if they give it to Directv for less, they have to give the same reduced rate to Dish, Comcast etc. Then there's the complication of this ridiculous business of having seven full time channels instead of just one and a couple part time alts like BTN & SECN.

AT&T apparently has some sort of contract with the Pac 12 for networking services on campuses or something like that, and maybe taking Pac 12 Network will be required to renew that contract. Or maybe AT&T will walk away from that rather than pick it up. But that's pretty much the only hope of seeing Pac 12 on Directv until the existing contracts with other providers expire, and I wouldn't hold my breath even then.

Pac 12's main problem was the stupid idea to go it alone, instead of partnering with a big company like BTN did with Fox and SEC did with ESPN. They have no leverage, whereas SECN got coverage all over the place right away because cable/satellite companies have to bow before the Mouse :)

PTAT and Auto Hop might be an allure for some, but I don't watch much network tv and it's easy enough to skip commercials. Dish may have better equipment, but what good is that to a Yankee fan since Dish doesn't carry the YES network? Programming is always the #1 consideration for me.
I don't watch sports on TV (not even the Super Bowl), so that doesn't matter to me. But for the reasons that I already stated plus the channel choices (such as Epix) were the reasons for my switch.

Reactions: ncted and raoul5788
They are actually asking for less than BTN or SECN get, but Directv doesn't think it is worth what they're asking. Even ignoring stuff like the lower ratings of Pac 12 games (because of time zones among other reasons) it doesn't make sense for Directv to pay much for Pac 12 Network because they've already lost all the subscribers who consider Pac 12 indispensable. Some might switch to Directv if it was available, but not enough to make it worth paying what Pac 12 wants as far as Directv is concerned. Most cord cutters are leaving due to price, adding a channel that 90% of people won't watch that adds a buck to the price for all west coast customers isn't a sound business decision in 2018.

Pac 12 can't offer them a better deal because they included "most favored nation" clauses in their other contracts, so if they give it to Directv for less, they have to give the same reduced rate to Dish, Comcast etc. Then there's the complication of this ridiculous business of having seven full time channels instead of just one and a couple part time alts like BTN & SECN.

AT&T apparently has some sort of contract with the Pac 12 for networking services on campuses or something like that, and maybe taking Pac 12 Network will be required to renew that contract. Or maybe AT&T will walk away from that rather than pick it up. But that's pretty much the only hope of seeing Pac 12 on Directv until the existing contracts with other providers expire, and I wouldn't hold my breath even then.

Pac 12's main problem was the stupid idea to go it alone, instead of partnering with a big company like BTN did with Fox and SEC did with ESPN. They have no leverage, whereas SECN got coverage all over the place right away because cable/satellite companies have to bow before the Mouse :)
Very good points and that’s also another reason I believe that dish has and probably never will add the New York regional sports nets because at this point I’m pretty sure all the NY fans and residents subscribe elsewhere than dish. Kind of curious though if Los Angeles, Houston, and Boston fans are Holding out for dish to ever add spectrum sports, AT&T Sportsnet Southwest, and NBC sports New England. Then again they did take off NBC sports New England due to Celtics only coverage if I am correct.

Bottom line is that DirecTV does not have the PAC 12. Dish, Comcast, Cox do have the PAC 12. It might not be New York and Chicago but it is California, Arizona, Washington, Oregon, Colorado. That's a whole lot of viewers that spend a whole lot of money on products hawked by a whole lot of companies that do not reach those viewers. Whether you like sports or not, sporting event advertising is the driving force in television today. Advertising rates during major sporting events is suprising to the average viewer

OK so I know I’ve been saying I want to go back to dish but I’ve been hearing that they aren’t doing so hot and all these feuds they have aren’t helping at all. I guess what it comes down to is that at moment the only thing they have going for themselves is the hopper and pricing.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)