I am 50-70 miles from the nearest ota antenna what is a good antenna to install?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

timbuckone

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 13, 2005
I am about 50-70 miles from the nearest ota antenna. I am starting to look at some uhf antennas. I was wondering what is a good antenna to put up to receive long distance signals. Does anyone have firsthand experience with certain antennas. I do not want to buy something and find out I do not receive a good signal.

just remember that antennaweb is VERY conservative - I live around 50-55 miles away and have had great success with a CM 4228, a CM 7777 preamp, and the CM9521 rotor. If the signals you want are from channels 10 - 60, you cannot beat the 4228.

60 miles is about the practical maximum receiving distance. Less if the DTV station isn't yet at full power.

I have used both the Channel Master 4228 and Winegard HD9095P (http://www.winegard.com/offair/pdf/hd9095p.pdf), and can make the following observations:

The Winegard HD9095P has more gain, but does not handle multi-path as well as the Channel Master 4228.

In "perfect" conditions, you'll get more stations with the Winegard. In unfavorable conditions, the Channel Master will provide more stable reception. For a pre-amp, the Channel Master 7777 (VHF & UHF), or the 7775 (UHF only) has the best price/performance ratio.

If money is no object, consider the Televes DAT75 (made in Spain), which is sold in the US by http://www.ultrasatellite.com/

Two other considerations are the channel numbers you are trying to receive (different antennas excel at low or high channel numbers) and the spread or spacing of the signals you want to receive (if they are all in the same place, a narrow beamwidth antenna (bay type) is fine; if spead out, a wide beamwidth antenna (Yagi) would be better).

Good information here:
http://www.hdtvprimer.com/Antennas/comparing.html

My channels of concern are all very low power, in the same location, and number 16, 17, 18, & 35. I chose a Winegard PR-8800.

There aren't any easy answers in selecting an antenna. It is strictly trial and error, but the experiences of others can help.

I currently have a Winegard HD9095 with a AP-4700 preamp
I am able to get stations that are 70+ miles away (they are all on the same mountain in Los Angeles)

Cokeswigga said:
I currently have a Winegard HD9095 with a AP-4700 preamp
I am able to get stations that are 70+ miles away (they are all on the same mountain in Los Angeles)

If you are on the coast, especially in the San Diego area, this is not unusual. Those signals propagate well over an all water path. If you are 70+ miles north, say in Bakersfield or Ridgecrest, that probably isn't going to happen on a regular basis.

I am actually 70 miles south east of lost angeles in
Temecula CA

I can't get any San Diego Stations (which are 50 miles away) ... stupid mountains

Hi All,
There seems to be a goodly amount of knowledge and practical experience represented here, so I'm wondering what advice you would have for my situation.
There are two towers that transmit HD signals which I would like to receive. I'm in Westport MA, about 4 miles up from the coast (i.e., very windy and salt air). There is a clump of Providence RI stations at compass heading 343 degrees (20 miles away) and another clump of Boston stations at compass 7 degrees (50 miles away). Both clumps are pretty much line of sight--no mountains, just some trees nearby so I don't think multipath should be a problem (as I understand it). I'd like to keep things simple and avoid a rotator---something to go wrong in the salt air! My basic question is should I be using a bow-tie screen or a yagi type antenna? I'm thinking I would am it at 0 degrees to give priority to the further Boston stations.

Any experience with durability of various antennas in salt air would also be appreciated. I've been considering either the 91XG or the DB8 from Antennas Direct. If it would work the 91XG is preferable because it would have less wind load. Ether one would have a preamp.

Recommendations?

George

91XG is going to be much more directional - no backside signal, or very little.

I know exactly where Westport is - plan on driving past it on way to Cape this weekend :)

At those distances, assuming terrain as you say, I would go for the DB8. You might just get enough on the sides/back to get RI locals, while "pointing it" at Boston.

I have two Channel Master 4228 antennas w/matching CM-7775 preamps and receive reliable reception from 3 DMAs: Richmond VA (51+ miles), Washington DC (53+ miles) and Charlotteville VA (53+ miles) - I also receive Baltimore MD(90+ miles), but only during spring-fall and only in the evening. My point is the above combo can work well at 50+ miles, but anything more than 60 is a crap shoot...unless you live on a hill and your local broadcast emit a strong signal. Good Luck!

Riffjim, are you combining the 2 antennas into 1 reciever? And if so, how? I live 1/2 way btween Balt. and DC and have been trying to figure out how to get both DMA's into my H10-250. Tks in advance.

Raymo,

No, I'm using an A/B switch or running the DC antenna to my Dish receiver (receive PG data for DC channels) and running the RIC antenna to the tuner on my HDTVs. I tried combining antennas, and had surprisingly good results, however some channels became unreliable. I would recommend a rotator or A/B switch...however, it may be possible if you use a jointenna and filters since you may live fairly close to both towers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts