I am getting HR20 - Is it stable now?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ScottE

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2003
Are your HR20's stable now? I know it wasnt earlier on but also read they got some of those bugs handled. Also how is the Local HD's do they pixelate much. I know E* locals in St. Louis Pixelates a lot which is why I am considering switching back to D*.

Stability issues have been addressed and corrected, for about a month or two.

Q. Are you getting your locals from D* or OTA, if possible you get more bang for the buck with OTA, more channels and some times better picture quality.

I have had my HR20-700 for about 6-7 months now, with very few problem.

Jimbo

Mine hasn't had a hiccup since January 6. I am a beta tester on another site so I keep track of such things.....:)

It was horrid at the beginning but for me it is getting better day by day.:up

It always been stable for me. Had mine since September 06 and it has functioned perfectly.

Same here. I had some issues around some of the CE releases in December and January but its pretty darn rock solid. I have an HR10-250 as well and I am ready to replace that one with another HR20. Thats testament to how good the HR20 is now.

We have one HR20-700 and one much older HR10-250 TiVo unit. The HR20 has been more 'stable' than the HR10-250 in that it has worked as advertised, with no spontaneous resetting, etc. We got the HR20 as a replacement for a failed hard drive on our second two year old HR10 (which I am repairing).

We are in the group of people who do not like the HR20 and love TiVo software, so we'll hang onto our TiVo units (3) as long as we can. But, as much as we don't like the HR20, it works and is stable, and a lot of people like it just fine. Not us, but we might be a minority. You can figure out how to use it if you are diligent and go to dbstalk.com to read all the unpublished or obtuse operating features it has.

"Intuitive" would not be a word to describe the HR20, but "stable" would be a fair description.

We have one HR20-700 and one much older HR10-250 TiVo unit. The HR20 has been more 'stable' than the HR10-250 in that it has worked as advertised, with no spontaneous resetting, etc. We got the HR20 as a replacement for a failed hard drive on our second two year old HR10 (which I am repairing).

We are in the group of people who do not like the HR20 and love TiVo software, so we'll hang onto our TiVo units (3) as long as we can. But, as much as we don't like the HR20, it works and is stable, and a lot of people like it just fine. Not us, but we might be a minority. You can figure out how to use it if you are diligent and go to dbstalk.com to read all the unpublished or obtuse operating features it has.

"Intuitive" would not be a word to describe the HR20, but "stable" would be a fair description.

INTUITIVE ??? An object cannot be intuitive ...

INTUITIVE ??? An object cannot be intuitive ...

Give it a rest, Jimbos, for goodness sake. How do you have the time to gratuitously poke everyone who makes an effort to say something here, you jerk? You and everyone else knows what I was saying. And, you are just plain wrong about the use of the word.

in·tu·i·tive /?n?tu?t?v, -?tyu-/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[in-too-i-tiv, -tyoo-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective 1. perceiving by intuition, as a person or the mind.
2. perceived by, resulting from, or involving intuition: intuitive knowledge.
3. having or possessing intuition: an intuitive person.
4. capable of being perceived or known by intuition

The number 4 definition fits perfectly-the next time you decide to parade your ignorance of the English language before everyone on the internet, do some thinking and research first, please.

Good grief.

The HR20 works fine, but the software is not as friendly to us as TiVo, and it took more effort to operate the machine than previous TiVo based DVRs. Most people I know can work a TiVo pretty well even if they do not read directions. I doubt you could do that with the HR20. Or, maybe you could, Jimbos, being so much smarter than anyone else about the English language and all other subjects you choose to address.

I have nothing against you personally, but your gratuitous attacks are tiresome and should be called out.

My 2c:

I migrated from the HR10 to the HR20 a while ago now. It's been nearly-rock-solid for me (one bug that was fixed a few months back). I'm a happy user.

I recently had the pleasure of getting a 2nd HDTV. :) I hooked my HR10 up to it, so as to not miss out on any HD goodness. A few days later, I flipped DVR's, and put the HR20 on my new 62" DLP, where the HR10 had been operating for a week or so. Couple of points here:

1) The PQ was CLEARLY inferior on the HR10. And no, I'm not talking about a MPEG4 to MPEG2 comparison. Same channel, same cabling, same program (I did it at halftime of the 2nd final 4 game). Bad pixelation and whatnot on the HR10. Much better on the HR20, and even better when I went to the MPEG4 feed. I've seen descriptions of the HR10 as having a "soft" picture, but never something this blatant.

2) The HR10 is slow. Even with 6.3c (the latest software), it's slow. Menus, guide, etc - ALL slow. It was a drag going back to it after months on the HR20 as a primary.

I also missed the mini-window on guide / now playing list. I know some hate it, but I think it's great. I watch enough live TV (sports, etc) to make it totally worth it.

The ONLY thing I find myself missing from the Tivo - suggestions, of all things. Why? Well, I have 2 kids, and they like their shows. I like my shows, my wife hers. They rarely coincide.

Suggestions always kept the programs I don't want every one of (kids especially) churning, and updating. Also turned me on to other things. It did this without adding a new series record. I'm now getting dangerously close to the 50 series limit on the HR20, and I'm hoping that gets at least doubled soon.

Anyhow - to answer the OP's question rhetorically, I'm going to retire my HR10 as soon as I can get an HR20 to replace it. :D

Anyhow - to answer the OP's question rhetorically, I'm going to retire my HR10 as soon as I can get an HR20 to replace it. :D

I am going to retire mine after 6 months since I just got a bunch of freebies a few weeks ago. My wife is going to keep hers indefinitely but thats because she loves the interface and cares not about HD. What she gets in HD is OTA.

If anyone here has dumped Dish Network HD DVR service, specifically the model 622, for the HR 20 DVR I would like to hear if the results have been positive, less buggy, etc.

Also, the CSR (sales rep) just told me Directv is launching 120 more HD channels this spring, and looking at the calender I'd say that is about now, is this true?

Thanks for any responses!!

If anyone here has dumped Dish Network HD DVR service, specifically the model 622, for the HR 20 DVR I would like to hear if the results have been positive, less buggy, etc.

Also, the CSR (sales rep) just told me Directv is launching 120 more HD channels this spring, and looking at the calender I'd say that is about now, is this true?

Thanks for any responses!!

More like late summer or so.

I'm finally retiring my Last Hr-10 today. It's good enough to use everyday, plus I gotten used to the guide speed of the Hr20.

dont waste ur money on the hr20. sorry to say, the problems are still there . i install about 10 a week now, 30% of units are defective out of box . and yes, they are all refurbished . every single 1

I have an h20 right now thinking of upgrading to hr20. The living room still has two feeds coming in from when I had the Tivo in there..Will they just ship me an hr20 or do they insist on doing an install? Also already have the slimline dish.

Thanks

Bill

I have an h20 right now thinking of upgrading to hr20. The living room still has two feeds coming in from when I had the Tivo in there..Will they just ship me an hr20 or do they insist on doing an install? Also already have the slimline dish.

Thanks

Bill

I think they try to do installs but you might talk to the right person and convice them to just ship the unit. My brother was able to order an H20 online and it was delivered next day no install.

As for the HR20, I've had it since September and love it. The only thing I find needs improvement is the trick play (fast forward, slip, rewind, etc.). Outside of that, its stable, smooth and does some pretty cool things. I was watching hockey and bball last night while listening to my mp3's on my Media Center. Worked like a charm. Awesome stuff.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)