I am going with Cable, what about you.

dziko

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 18, 2004
I just had Cable installed and The PQ is good but not as good as Voom. I do love the On-Demand it Rocks!!!!! What you want when you want. I get my locals and it is less then Voom. It only has like 10 HD chanels, thats with my locals. My cable company is Insight and they are ok I guess. Time will tell. I was real depress about Voom closing and I will remember them fondly. I was hoping that they would continue.

Having TW hooked up on the 28th. Since they are month to month that allows me to make a move to any service at anytime. Felt same way about lack of HD. Only getting around 10 HDs with locals

I am dumping TV until another worthy commercial-free HD service comes along, and instead I will support my local independent cinema (less than 1 mile away) that has indy films and foreign films.

In fact, I went to the cinema today to see Merchant of Venice -- first time inside that cinema since I first subscribed to Voom last May. I guess I will be seeing a lot more of that place after Voom dies.

Non-Voom TV sucks! I will not put up with HD-lite, and I will not support it.

Yes, VOD is a big plus. Likewise, while there is significantly less HD content, the DVR enables you to watch shows in HD when you want rather than when they are scheduled.

I considered just living with OTA. But when you have kids in the house, those kids channels help preserve one's sanity.

Comcast arrives on Sunday at my house (imagine getting a Voom installer out to your place on a Sunday!). I will still leave one of my sets connected to Voom so that I can be there at the end. I will miss having Voom and would have continued with them for many years. Still, in the grand scheme of things, there are a lot of bigger things in life to worry about that the loss of a dbs service.

cable or rabbit ears is my only choice. Condo board just temporarily halted all sat installs.

Re-Subed to Cox yesterday.
Their HD line-up is as follows.

Discovery HD Theater TM
ESPN HD
INHD 1
INHD 2
HBO HD
Cinemax HD
Showtime HD
Starz! HD
CBS HD
PBS HD
ABC HD
NBC HD
FOX HD

Pretty pathetic in comparison but better than nothing.

Cable is not an option for me if I want HD content, so I will stay with my DishHD Pack and OTA for now. I am sandwiched between 2 huge Comcast service areas, but my area is serviced by Redneck Cable, INC with no plans to offer HD and their rates are outrageous. That's why 1 out of every 4 homes in my area have a sat dish or antenna on their house.

lostcause said:
cable or rabbit ears is my only choice. Condo board just temporarily halted all sat installs.
I'm pretty sure there are laws against them banning sat installs.

sort of. They can't stop you from mounting them in an area that is for your exclusive use such as a private patio or porch, but they can certainly stop you from mounting them on any common area including the roof, walls, etc...

I can't mount a dish in my patio because a tree would block the LOS. Basically, if I want a new sat install at this point, I'm screwed. They're not making anyone take existing dishes down, but they're not allowing any new ones. Hopefully it's just temporary.

You know what amazes me is that Cox here in OKC really SUCKS compared to the other Cox locations. I can't even get all my locals in their HD pack (Fox & PBS). And to top it all off the pq is horrible as well, but that seems to be an indsutry standard lately from what I see and read on these forums.

My options are to go with D* or E* with my OTA antenna for local HD, or buy an OTA receiver and run another coax from the antenna with Cox to get all my locals in HD. Having two stb's will really freak out the wife and kids.

Our Cox here in Hampton Roads, Va gets two locals (PBS, CBS), UniversalHD, INHD1,INHD2, ESPNHD, Discovery Theather HD, HBOHD,ShowTimeHD, and CinimaxHD. I was told that they are working on getting NBCHD and FoxHD next.

1080iBeVuMin said:
I am dumping TV until another worthy commercial-free HD service comes along, and instead I will support my local independent cinema (less than 1 mile away) that has indy films and foreign films.

In fact, I went to the cinema today to see Merchant of Venice -- first time inside that cinema since I first subscribed to Voom last May. I guess I will be seeing a lot more of that place after Voom dies.

Non-Voom TV sucks! I will not put up with HD-lite, and I will not support it.

I am almost going that far, living with 5 ota stations. I am looking forward to watching more dvds and enjoying some visits to a movie theater I went to as a kid which is only 2 miles from me and a nice stretch of the leg in good weather. It was built in the 1930s and is just plain neat inside, looking like a castle. It has what became "stadium seating" and is w-i-d-e and now shows second run movies. You can see a movie at night for $3, with $1.50 matinees, and have food or beer brought to your seat or table. I don't think I have been back there since I had Voom.

elocs said:
I am almost going that far, living with 5 ota stations. I am looking forward to watching more dvds and enjoying some visits to a movie theater I went to as a kid which is only 2 miles from me and a nice stretch of the leg in good weather. It was built in the 1930s and is just plain neat inside, looking like a castle. It has what became "stadium seating" and is w-i-d-e and now shows second run movies. You can see a movie at night for $3, with $1.50 matinees, and have food or beer brought to your seat or table. I don't think I have been back there since I had Voom.
I, envy you what sounds like a WONDERFUL theater...fortunately a town nearby me saved a couple of those "oldies", but they've converted them to live theater, which is nice, but I'd sure love to go back there and see a "flick"! Vicki :D

dziko said:
I just had Cable installed and The PQ is good but not as good as Voom. I do love the On-Demand it Rocks!!!!! What you want when you want. I get my locals and it is less then Voom. It only has like 10 HD chanels, thats with my locals. My cable company is Insight and they are ok I guess. Time will tell. I was real depress about Voom closing and I will remember them fondly. I was hoping that they would continue.

I will be getting Insight as well. It really is a good deal - I think. 10 HD (12 with HBO and SHO which I will get). The On-Demand,PPV, Local Source, and optional internet service are great too. I also hear that Phone service will be available in the very near future. It's no VOOM, but it is one of the better cable services out there from what I have heard/read. I hope that someone picks up all or some of HD 21 - I really liked where those channels were headed.

Cheers,
James

Vicki said:
I, envy you what sounds like a WONDERFUL theater...fortunately a town nearby me saved a couple of those "oldies", but they've converted them to live theater, which is nice, but I'd sure love to go back there and see a "flick"! Vicki :D

It is a wonderful theater. I have a 25 year old niece that I took there when she was 3 and she would talk about how she though there was a princess inside the doorway atop of the stairs attached on each side of the theater inside. All kids are entralled by it since it has "character", unlike all of the cineplexes out there. Just watching a movie there I can remember being in the same place as a little boy back in the late '50s.
Lots of memories, but still a great place to watch a movie with their new sound system which has a subwoofer that will put out a bass sound that goes right through you--great on epic movie like Lord of the Rings which should be see on a wide screen in a big theater.

What after VOOM? I've been comparing DirecTV and Cable. Locally it is Time/Warner LA. Here is the breakdown of what is available in HD.

CHANNEL DIRECTV TW CABLE

ESPN YES YES
UHD YES NO
DISCOVERY YES YES
HDNET YES YES
HDNET MOVIES YES YES
TNT NO YES
WEALTH NO NO
SHOWTIME YES YES
HBO YES YES
INHD1 NO YES
INHD2 NO YES
CBS YES YES
NBC YES YES
ABC YES YES
FOX YES YES
PBS NO YES

So this gives Cable 14 out of 16 possible HD channels in my area. DirecTV only scored 11 out of 16. This of course will change with cable from region to region. Good luck in your area. Wish we could continue at least with the VOOM 21.

Well... I just signed up with Time Warner Cable here in Houston.

For around $68 (taxes and all fees included) per month for one full year, with no contract commitment and thanks to their 'dump your sat provider and come with us' promotion, I'll get:

- 1 HD-DVR receiver
- Digital value pack
- DigiPic 4000 pack (all premium movie channels + their available HD variations)
- Movie Plus pack
- HD Plus pack
- Sports Extra pack
- Latinisimo pack
- On demand content and the ability to purchase PPV programming (some HD included)

Oh... and free installation (normally $49.95 when a HD 'converter' is involved).

What HD programming I'll be getting:

HDNET, HDNET Movies, ESPN HD, TNT HD, iN HD, iN HD2, Discovery HD, Locals in HD (6-8 channels), HBO East HD, HBO West HD, Showtime East HD and Showtime West HD.

The CSR told me that they are close to adding ESPN2 HD and Universal HD, but that these new channels will most likely be available by the end of summer.

Not bad... but still... nowhere near what Voom was/is offering me :river.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts