I am losing my job...

Cableready

Original poster
Apr 8, 2005
Voomville
I am losing my job, which involved helping run voom and keep it operational for folks like you. This is really sad, and the way it happened abruptly without warning of any meeting, like it was decided during a game of texas hold'em, is upsetting. We never knew anything ahead of time, and usually found out about it here before ever getting any official word. There still wasn't an official word about this announcement as of tonight (anxiously awaiting the "sorry, thanks for the memories, enjoy your early retirement" email memo). "Rollercoaster-ride" is an understatement. It's not out of the blue, but there were other supposed upcoming meetings, etc, that seemed to indicate that the fat lady hadn't sung just yet. For the last couple months, I haven't been able to plan my next bowel movement, let alone, my life. Cablevision, Dolan, Voom... shame that all reputations are swirling down the crapper. And like's it easy to just find work anyway, let alone in this field. I guess it's Assistant Night Manager at Mickey D's for me. Glad I went to college.

Meanwhile, HD is the future, and someone else will attempt something voom-like within the next year or two and be praised for being innovative. So much for "content." But what can you expect in a market where some people who own big, expensive HDTV's don't even know that they're not watching HD programming? But a company making moves irregardless of consequences to employees' lives is par for the course in the business world. It's not that surprising. It just really stinks. And the phrase "15-0, including Charles Dolan" was one of those eye-rubbing, is-this-really-happening moments.

I'm glad some of you enjoyed the abundance of HD programming action on voom. Bummer that it's going away and you have to settle for the lackluster competition.

Honestly, I stopped thinking about me around 10 this morning and have thought about you guys off and on today. You deserved far better than this. I never had a bad experience with anyone at VOOM. Not once. I understand this is the way business operates these days....that people are so expendable. HD will rear it's head again sometime but, what becomes of all the time that people like you gave?

I pray something good happens for you and soon. Please keep us up to date.

Moving this to a separate thread, as there will probably be more posts from current/former VOOM employees...

It's a damn shame that profitability means more than innovation and forward thinking. It's a shame that stockholder greed can't muster patience enough to let the rest of the uneducated, apathetic consumers catch up.

I wish you the best in your future vocations.

Peace

Cableready said:
But what can you expect in a market where some people who own big, expensive HDTV's don't even know that they're not watching HD programming?

You hit it on the mark... We have a market full of ignorant consumers. Until consumers savvy up none of this will change.

Good luck with finding new employment Cableready. Thank you for contributing to our Voom experience. :up

Cableready said:
I am losing my job, which involved helping run voom and keep it operational for folks like you. This is really sad, and the way it happened abruptly without warning of any meeting, like it was decided during a game of texas hold'em, is upsetting. We never knew anything ahead of time, and usually found out about it here before ever getting any official word. There still wasn't an official word about this announcement as of tonight (anxiously awaiting the "sorry, thanks for the memories, enjoy your early retirement" email memo). "Rollercoaster-ride" is an understatement. It's not out of the blue, but there were other supposed upcoming meetings, etc, that seemed to indicate that the fat lady hadn't sung just yet. For the last couple months, I haven't been able to plan my next bowel movement, let alone, my life. Cablevision, Dolan, Voom... shame that all reputations are swirling down the crapper. And like's it easy to just find work anyway, let alone in this field. I guess it's Assistant Night Manager at Mickey D's for me. Glad I went to college.

Meanwhile, HD is the future, and someone else will attempt something voom-like within the next year or two and be praised for being innovative. So much for "content." But what can you expect in a market where some people who own big, expensive HDTV's don't even know that they're not watching HD programming? But a company making moves irregardless of consequences to employees' lives is par for the course in the business world. It's not that surprising. It just really stinks. And the phrase "15-0, including Charles Dolan" was one of those eye-rubbing, is-this-really-happening moments.

I'm glad some of you enjoyed the abundance of HD programming action on voom. Bummer that it's going away and you have to settle for the lackluster competition.

It brings tears to my eyes because I have been there as well. The uncertainty and the future of not having a job is quite a headache. I sympathize with all you guys. You did a great job with VOOM. Yes, we had our complains and you guys did not turn the other way, but tried really hard to make it better and did you best. It is just quite bad that corporate america deals with these situation in a very cold and many times in-humane manner. You guys will be missed a lot. I've got to meet a lot of you through email, PM, or personally and I always had such an uplifting experience because you are all very professional at what you do. Thanks for everything and hope that everything works out for your Cableready.

Not usually dealing with any customers directly (being more on the technical side), I didn't really realize the passionate fans of Voom until seeing this site. It's nice to know that SOMEONE was watching, and digging what they saw. And the fact that some people were of the "I won't stop supporting voom til they pry it from my cold dead hands" attitude is comforting. It wasn't *all* for naught.

txdude said:
You hit it on the mark... We have a market full of ignorant consumers. Until consumers savvy up none of this will change.

Good luck with finding new employment Cableready. Thank you for contributing to our Voom experience. :up

My pleasure. This was the easiest, most fun job I've ever had. Almost criminally fun. Johnny Consumer will catch up to the technology someday. Voom II: Revenge of HD.

Thanks for everything and hope that everything works out for your Cableready.

Thanks for the wishes. Job hunting isn't my favorite thing in the world, but it's often a necessary evil. Unemployment ain't fun (well, for a few days maybe ;) ).

I feel for all of you Voom employees getting let go! I was laid off last year and it's not fun at all. But you bounce back and make the best of a bad situation.

I will be leaving the TV on for the next couple of weeks so I can get all the VaVaVoom possible until my pictures goes out!

There are lots of good folks losing their jobs because of this, I could name lots of names but instead of doing that I will say that all VOOM employees are in my thoughts.

Voom honestly had some of the best and most dedicated emplopyees I have come across in the satellite industry. For these guys VOOM wasn't a job it was a statement and a movement.

Thank you guys for all you have done.

To the VOOM employees--all of you,Thanks for putting the effort into your jobs,calling a CSR was not a nightmare.You have represented VOOM in the highest regard and have tried to help to your best abiltiy.My best hopes go out with you and I think that if you keep the same work ethic you will "Get there"

Cableready said:

i kinda now how you fill alot of us installer that were install the voom system has taking a hard hit to . I really hate to see this happen. i wish you the best and i will just move on to the next thing and make the best of it.

tyork

Thank you - Your all at voom are our family.

You all at Voom were the best. From the first day to the last time I contacted any of you at Voom you helped with a smile to the point that I asked one " why are you so nice". I only hope that ALL of ya'll fine a place of employment were you are as happy as you have made all us feel with you.
You are family. Thank you.

TYORK said:
i kinda now how you fill alot of us installer that were install the voom system has taking a hard hit to . I really hate to see this happen. i wish you the best and i will just move on to the next thing and make the best of it.

tyork

Tyork,

I really appreciated all your help here. You were there to help customers and answer questions when you did not have to. Thank you for your dedication as well.

VOOM is one of the best things that ever happened to HD.. I really feel for all you guys who put the best HD product bar none out there today...

No other cable or satellite service can claim that..

Best Of Luck I will miss VOOM and the great work all you guys did...

All the other crap that VOOM bashers wrote was just out of jealousy in the fact that they did not have VOOM...

IN IMHO you guys were the victim of poor management and limited vision.

Yeah guys... those of us losing our "precious" HD content should get some perspective. Tons of people will be losing their jobs not just the ability to watch some great movies. I wish you guys all the best. You should be proud of what you were part of. It is not your fault that the service was not being promoted or marketed properly. I know that if Voom had been supported properly, it could have been a great viable third option... there's no doubt. Good, sound, strategic marketing can take mediocre products and makes them category leaders. Imagine what it could have done to a truly outstanding product/service like Voom.

At any rate, you guys are in the unique position of having worked for a truly outstanding company providing a great product that people were passionate about. Take that experience and apply it to your next opportunity. There is no success in life without some degree of failure. Good luck in your future endeavors.

Cableready said:

My sympathies are with you. Good luck and hope your next job is with an employee that is competent and knows how to run a business. It is a shame that the Dolans wasted the potential of VOOM because they were not manning the helm and now it is having a profound affect on it's employees. Good luck, you will find another job and move on to big and better things. It was meant to be or it would not have happened.

Thank you for your help as a VOOM employee.

Ken

1. Thanks TYORK.

You are one of the most dedicated people I have seen on several forums over the years! KUDOS baby!!!! :D

2. VOOM employees: Thank you as well. You were always responsive to my needs. You always expressed your willingness to solve my problem. Except for that quiz you guys had to do at the end of the call where you would ask if I was satisfied, etc!!@!!! LOL.

I truly hope that there is a Hail Mary play coming up from Chuck and you will be able to continue working and providing satisfaction to your customers.

Oh, and BTW, f|_|cK James Dolan!!

"Eat Penguin sh!t you ass spelunker!!!" :mad: :D

Thank you for your help as a VOOM employee.

You are welcome as well. Hearing these nice words from people makes me feel a little less defeated.

It's funny- someone who works in the same building was saying that he saw a Voom ad running like every fifteen minutes in a Circuit City recently. Talk about too little, too late. (an ad was still on Universal HD as of yesterday, but that wasn't too helpful to those without HD already I guess) I would love to see where we'd be at right now if there had been some more exposure of Voom, esp. to those who would be most interested-- i.e. electronic stores. The first time the public was most aware of the brand was when the Dolan emails were firing back and forth (a real "Memogate").

Hindsight = 20/20.

Cableready said:
You are welcome as well. Hearing these nice words from people makes me feel a little less defeated.

It's funny- someone who works in the same building was saying that he saw a Voom ad running like every fifteen minutes in a Circuit City recently. Talk about too little, too late. (an ad was still on Universal HD as of yesterday, but that wasn't too helpful to those without HD already I guess) I would love to see where we'd be at right now if there had been some more exposure of Voom, esp. to those who would be most interested-- i.e. electronic stores. The first time the public was most aware of the brand was when the Dolan emails were firing back and forth (a real "Memogate").

Hindsight = 20/20.
Unfortunately Chuck Dolan forgot how to run a start-up. And the people around him who he left to make VOOM successful were totally incompetent. VOOM could have been it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts