I am new here have a ?

wgr46

Original poster
Dec 10, 2007
I am sure that this has been discussed on this board sometime but don't know where to find it
My ? is about local ABC NBC CBS,Fox,are they going to be in HD ever
Thanks Bill central illinois

Are they being broadcast in HD in your area? If so, you can always hook up an anntenea to your HD box and get them that way.

Yes some are in HD,would just like to get FOX football games in HD when i know it is broadcast in HD,friends that have DIREC TV get it in HD

Bill -

Where in Central Illinois do you live? Neither E* nor D* carries any HD locals around here.

I have an outdoor antenna and can pull in all the networks with no problem from my home in Springfield.

Bill,

Well, antenna reception might be iffy for you in Champaign, considering the towers are closer to Springfield. I'm not sure if you can get another market closer to Champaign, or not.

Dish is still behind on its end of 2006 HD local implementation. I asked a DirecTV rep about HD locals in the Springfield-Decatur-Champaign DMA, but they had no info. At least none they gave the front line service reps.

For now, our best shot is an antenna, or cable. I won't go cable because I hate our cable (Inisight - soon to be Commcast) company's equipment and pricing/channel line-up.

I've got a vaguely similar question about OTA antenna and my new 722. Before I got my dish installed this weekend, I had already set my TV up and hooked up to our roof top antenna on the building. I am receiving about 16 channels of HD. I hooked the antenna up to my 722 (same wire, unplugged from TV and plugged in 722) but when i went through the add local channels, it only finds a measly one channel. Is the box that junky I'm missing the other 15 channels? I'd really like to be able to record with the DVR. One of our local PBS stations has 4 HD feeds, but I can't receive any of them OTA on the 722. Yet I was just watching them when antenna is hooked to TV.

I've got a vaguely similar question about OTA antenna and my new 722. Before I got my dish installed this weekend, I had already set my TV up and hooked up to our roof top antenna on the building. I am receiving about 16 channels of HD. I hooked the antenna up to my 722 (same wire, unplugged from TV and plugged in 722) but when i went through the add local channels, it only finds a measly one channel. Is the box that junky I'm missing the other 15 channels? I'd really like to be able to record with the DVR. One of our local PBS stations has 4 HD feeds, but I can't receive any of them OTA on the 722. Yet I was just watching them when antenna is hooked to TV.

The scan feature has a lot to be desired on Dish Receivers. Try putting the channels in manually,you will need the transit numbers for the channel to do it this way. You can add them once they are locked in. If you need your transit numbers, you can find them at antennaweb.org.

The scan feature has a lot to be desired on Dish Receivers. Try putting the channels in manually,you will need the transit numbers for the channel to do it this way. You can add them once they are locked in. If you need your transit numbers, you can find them at antennaweb.org.

In my experience the local channel scan for the 622 and 722 works very well (and fast, compared to some TV's). The OTA tuner in the 622/722 probably isn't the best out there, but it's far from the worst. I would agree that you should try a manual channel addition (using the digital transmit channels).

If your building uses a master antenna system, it is probably amplified, and it's POSSIBLE that the signal is overpowering the tuner. You could try putting the attenuator that came with your 722 in-line with the incoming antenna feed and see if that makes a difference. (It was intended for use with the remote antenna for TV2.)

Brad

I tried it and still no go. One of the channels I was watching last night via the TV came up with a signal strength of 0 when cabled to the 722 and I picked the transit number manually. If I didn't have the TV I'd figure I wasn't able to get reception, but I know otherwise since I have a tuner in the TV. Is there something they have to do, or could it be my box? It should work, I know I have a signal but the box doesn't want to cooperate.
edit: I tried a couple of pair of rabbit ears (one of which I bought last night at BB), and none made a difference. One pair is amplified, one is not.

Last edited:
What a royal PITA and non intuitive thing to mess with! I finally figured it out. You have to go System setup > HDTV setup and change analog type to offair. I went from 1 OTA to 22.
Why is it the installer knows nothing, tech support knows nothing, but I find the answer by poking around?

Last edited:
What a royal PITA and non intuitive thing to mess with! I finally figured it out. You have to go System setup > HDTV setup and change analog type to offair. I went from 1 OTA to 22.
Why is it the installer knows nothing, tech support knows nothing, but I find the answer by poking around?

Because most installers don't make or charge enough to warrant having anything more than the bare minimum knowledge to install the system. Tech support personnel often don't have real world experience and also have to rely on information supplied by someone who doesn't usually know what they are doing in order to work the problem out. Garbage in = garbage out. Instead of poking around, you could also RTFM (short for Read The * Manual). While it shouldn't be mandatory, all customers should read the manual but so many are apt to just toss it aside instead of acquiring the knowledge contained therein. As for the installers, you got what you paid for. You paid nothing, and you got nothing in return.

It's good that you found that, but someone (installer?) must have changed it, 'cause "offair" is the default, AFAIK.

Anyway, you'll LOVE having your OTA's. :up

Brad

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)