I am not admitting defeat!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
cablewithaview said:
Tron, have you taken an OTA antenna and a digital tuner and searched your local stations for The Tube? The Huntsville NBC carries it as a 3rd digital channel. The UPN affiliate in Birmingham will be bringing it on line sometime soon as well.
I should try that. I've heard they were multicasting in many markets, not sure about N.O.. Katrina postponed my OTA DTV project, but I do have a tower for my antennas. It is a HAM tower, and is in four 10' segments. I can build it as high as 40', but not likely. There might be a problem from reflected signals, since I live in a suburban area with a fair amount of high-rise development. Shouldn't have too many problems with trees, though, since Katrina took care of most of them...

EDIT: Just checked The Tube's website, they are OTA in Baton Rouge (Digiblur!) ~80 miles from here and soon to be OTA in Biloxi, MS (again, about ~80 miles from here, but mostly over water so there's a chance). Looks like I'll need that HAM tower after all! :D

Last edited:
Tron said:
I should try that. I've heard they were multicasting in many markets, not sure about N.O.. Katrina postponed my OTA DTV project, but I do have a tower for my antennas. It is a HAM tower, and is in four 10' segments. I can build it as high as 40', but not likely. There might be a problem from reflected signals, since I live in a suburban area with a fair amount of high-rise development. Shouldn't have too many problems with trees, though, since Katrina took care of most of them...

EDIT: Just checked The Tube's website, they are OTA in Baton Rouge (Digiblur!) ~80 miles from here and soon to be OTA in Biloxi, MS (again, about ~80 miles from here, but mostly over water so there's a chance). Looks like I'll need that HAM tower after all! :D

Yep, they are on WAFB's DT signal. But I wouldn't count on catching it in N.O. WAFB is whispering at 46kw on RF 46 on the mast that is in downtown B.R.

The bit rate is kind of bad due to WAFB having 4 channels on their carrier, TheTube doesn't get much. It probably wouldn't look bad on a 13 inch TV but it looks like smeared mud on the 57 inch.

Tron said:
Thanks, I've gotta read more carefully when I'm checking Lyngsat. I wonder if a 6' would cut AMC3 in New Orleans... If I can ever get a C-band LNB retrofitted on that 6' spun aluminum Ku dish, I can do some experimenting :)

very possible. I thought PSB got it recently (I know he was on AMC3 the other day) on his 6 foot mesh dish

Speaking of the "Tube", I'm fortunate enough to have C-band, so I have no problem getting it. Last night we had wacky weather conditions with severe storms coming through and the atmospheric conditons were perfect for acquiring signals from distant out of market city's. I was able to pull in Savannah,Ga. (about 165 miles) with 2 of their digitals, WSAV (NBC) HD with WeatherPlus subchannel, and WTOP (CBS) HD with it's on weather subchannel and the "Tube" on another subchannel. Also pulled in Columbus,Ga. (about 90 miles, this should be a regular market for me when they go full power) with 3 digitals, WRBL (CBS) HD with a radar subchannel, WTVM (ABC) HD with a weather subchannel, and WXTX (FOX) HD with the "Tube" as a subchannel. I also pulled in Montgomery,Ala. (not sure how far,I guess 160-170 miles) with 2 digitals, WSFA (NBC) HD, WAKA (CBS) HD, both had a weather subchannel. I was able to watch the "Tube" from 2 different OTA sources briefly, had I wanted to. Of course it didn't last, as conditions don't stay perfect.

Al

Well I got the S-video switch all hooked up last night and there is a HUGH picture quality difference between using the coax and the S-Video :)

I just checked a tp this am and I am getting 80% on some of the channels! So, depending what TP I am on, I get 53%-60% on most, and on a few video ones I get 80% as well as 80% on KEXP Radio. I don't think I will do much tweaking. It was suggested maybe fiddle with the skew.

We had 40 mph winds all yesterday and rain, and today rain, and a few tp's are fluctuating between 33% and 40% (low # tp's), and the higher ones were the 80%. Sorry, forgot to mention that above. Maybe the wind "peaked" my dish :)

Last edited:
digiblur said:
Yep, they are on WAFB's DT signal. But I wouldn't count on catching it in N.O. WAFB is whispering at 46kw on RF 46 on the mast that is in downtown B.R.

The bit rate is kind of bad due to WAFB having 4 channels on their carrier, TheTube doesn't get much. It probably wouldn't look bad on a 13 inch TV but it looks like smeared mud on the 57 inch.
That is pretty far away for such a signal. I am in the northwestern side of New Orleans, so maybe... I could also try for the Biloxi subchannel when it comes online, but the entire Mississippi coast was nearly destroyed by Katrina. Advantage with the Biloxi signal is that it would mostly be over water.

Bit rate is one of my pet peaves. I can see it becoming more and more of a problem once stations try to squeeze as much programming as possible into their alloted bandwidth. I'd rather two (or even only one) channel with high video quality than four that look like mud. I hear the same thing is happening with the Pizza Dish companies squeezing too much onto their transponders...

Iceberg said:
very possible. I thought PSB got it recently (I know he was on AMC3 the other day) on his 6 foot mesh dish
Trying to fit a C-band LNB on this Ku Andrews dish would be an interesting "fun" project, but for serious reception I think I will need to snag a true C-band BUD. There are plenty around for the taking :)

iafirebuff said:
I just checked a tp this am and I am getting 80% on some of the channels! So, depending what TP I am on, I get 53%-60% on most, and on a few video ones I get 80% as well as 80% on KEXP Radio. I don't think I will do much tweaking. It was suggested maybe fiddle with the skew.
The best way to tweak is to use a strong TP to initially find the bird, then use the weakest one to peak the dish. When you're peaked on the weakest, the strongest will be fine :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I just saw at gosatellite.net that they have a dual lnb holder. I wonder if that isnt the way to go? Does anyone have any experience with these? TIA!

I've tried one and couldn't get it to work properly :(
I ended up using the hoseclamp theory (which I just did yesterday...AMC3 & Nimiq 1 on one dish)

Rain? Hell I have seen so much rain over the past week that I think I saw Noah go floating by a few minutes ago.

The Connecticut River is so high its almost up to the highway (or at least it looks that way from my office window)

Lots of people here getting flooded in their house. I am lucky I live on a great big hill. :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)