Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Last year late November I ordered myself a satellite system from PSB, a 36" Dish, Stab Motor, LNB and Fortec Lifetime Ultra receiver.

When I received I I set it up so that I could see one bird, and I was happy, the ground was too frozen to try planting the Dish. But again I was happy getting the one satellite I could get.

I have been watching stuff off of this bird for awhile now and was happy then spring came and I planted me a pole in the ground and mounted the motor and was able to see 3 satellites from my location, I was happy again then came VOOM to 61.5 I took the LNB off of the FTA dish and put on a DishPro LNB so that I could watch VOOM I was missing FTA but was happy to have VOOM... Then I went to the 2005 Satellite Expo in Memphis, and thats where I met a lot of great FTA folks, including the good folks from Sadoun Satellite Sales and SatelliteAV.COM.

At the show the folks form SatelliteAV gave me a award winning (It won two awards at the Expo!) Invacom Quad Polar LNB's to try out. Now I really needed to have my FTA dish working.

I got back home with it and was waiting to set it up, when the weather was clear I went out and gave it a shot. First I took and old DirecTV dish and mounted it to the base of my SuperDISH and now had a dedicated 61.5 dish.

I setup the old Fortec LNB and put it back on the FTA Dish and lined it up with IA5, had a nice signal of about 54 - 60, I then removed the lnb and put on the Invacom quad - NOTHING no signal whatsoever, went through all kind of settings, still nothing. I was getting razzled of why this new LNB wasnt working. I took apart the dish, made sure the pole was level, put the dish back on again and still nothing... I spend a good 12 - 14 hours out there the first weekend with it trying to get it to work. I finally got it to work on 61.5, here I got a nice strong signal. I gave up last weekend.

This weekend came and I was determined to get my FTA setup working. While I have done many satellite installs this was my first motorized one, I wanted to get it working on my own.

Saturday rolled around and I removed the Invacom and put back on the Fortec LNB and quickly again was watching the slides on UONTV. Put the Invacom back on and again it could not find any Linear KU. I gave up and called a friend who is a professional satellite installer who dropped off his Birdog meter. Of course when he gave it to me the battery was dead so I needed to wait all night for it to charge.

Sunday Morning woke up and went out there again, with the Birdog in hand, I was easily able to find all the DBS birds on the Circular polarity but again no libear and this was even with the professional Birdog meter. I called my friend and he came over and he was stumped as well.

We took off the Invacom LNB and put the Fortec Universal LNB back on again I was on IA 5. I was fustrated. My buddy took his Birdog meter and told me I probably had a band Invacom LNB.

This morning I contacted the folks from SatelliteAV and immediately got a reply back from Brent who asked me if I set the Linear LNB to STANDARD on the Fortec. I left work and came home and popped off the old LNB and popped the Invacom back on, took the Lifetime Ultra Receiver and my laptop which has a TV tuner outside, plugged it all in went to the setup screen and changed the setting from a Unversal LNB to a Standard and JOY OF JOY I had a GREAT signal off of IA5! I went from a 54 - 60 to a 71 - 80!

I then tried seeing if I could see the arc, I could find some of the nearbye birds but none of the further birds. I then acidently leaned on my dish and noticed I had signal from a bird I could not get before.

I thought I had it tightened down but the dish had play, so I got out the tools and REALLY tightened it down after I got the strongest signal possible on the satellite I was on. I mean I REALLY tightened it down, now there was no play in it at all.

I then scanned across the sky and was now pulling in stuff I was unable to see before, I was AMAZED at what I could get which I could not get before, I now can receive the (Late) Good Dr, Dr Gene Scott. I can pick up loads of News Wildfeeds and more!

So far I have 6 satellites programmed in and am blindscanning them all one by one. :)

Below are some photos of the setup now with the Invacom LNB setup. You will notice that I have it set to use a Disecq switch. I am able to get the FTA channels off of Dish and ExpressVu. :)

I am very surprised how much of the arc I can see considering whats in the way, I took a photo of the sky from behind the Dish so you could see my view.

Thanks to Pete (PSB) for the great setup and thanks to the guys at SatelliteAV.COM for the excellent LNB!

Attachments

• settingup.JPG
    settingup.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 283
  • lnb.JPG
    lnb.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 247
  • lnb2.JPG
    lnb2.JPG
    18.2 KB · Views: 204
  • switch.JPG
    switch.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 250
  • dish1.JPG
    dish1.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 219
  • arc1.JPG
    arc1.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 234
  • setupdone.JPG
    setupdone.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 235
  • setupdone2.JPG
    setupdone2.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 273
Nice work Scott! You just can't beat that feeling of accomplishment when you get it all done yourself, the sky is the limit now!

Great pictures of your dish farm!

I am seeing from 119 to 87 (And I didn't have time yesterday to see if I can get anything past 87)

I am wondering now however if I should screw around with the Dish and try getting G10R (at 123), as I really want to get the Tube. :) The problem is the way I am set now 119 is at the end of the motor, it does not move further then 119. Which means if I want to see it I need to spin the motor on the pole then adjust the elevation on the dish and find the arc again. I believe I may have a shot at 123 so I may go ahead and try it.

Flipping around last night, lots of news feeds from the All Star Game in Detroit. I also noticed on some of the transponders I had higher signals at night then I did during the day, since it was close to 100 here I have a feeling that had something to do with it.

I also fell asleep last night watching the Good Doctor, Dr Gene Scott. I know he died, but was he reserected or something? The crawl on the screen was inviting you to call in and reserve your spot for this sundays service with Dr Scott, also tere is no mention of his death to be found anywhere on his website.

I think I am doing well considered I am such a newbie at FTA but I think I will attempt to get G10R. I feel I need to do a factory reset to my Lifetime Ultra anyways, as when I did the blind scan on all of the satellites I did a scan for ALL instead of just FTA, and now I have a bunch of scrambled channels listed just cluttering up things.

Is there anything else I should be looking for up there that I am not aware of? Thanks for any tips your may have.

Scott Greczkowski said:
I also fell asleep last night watching the Good Doctor, Dr Gene Scott. I know he died, but was he reserected or something? The crawl on the screen was inviting you to call in and reserve your spot for this sundays service with Dr Scott, also tere is no mention of his death to be found anywhere on his website.

His wife, Melissa does the sermons on Sunday now :)

Good experiance Scott. Now we can refer all New England HH Motor installation jobs to you :D

Just to calrify to others so they don't spends too much time figuring the LNBFs.

The settings for the LNBFs are as follows:

Invacom SNH-031 (single LNBF) is a Universal Type LNBF
LO Freq: Low 9750, High 10600
22KHz: ON or Auto

Invacom QPH-031 (C/L Quad LNBF)
Linear side is STANDARD
LO Freq: 10750
22KHz: OFF

Circular side STANDARD
LO Freq: 11250
22KHz: OFF

Good luck

TC_Lauderdale said:
If I had the 22Khz set to OFF on the Invacom SNH-031, would it prevent me from tuning any birds?

yes it would

Because it defualts to LO frequency 9750, so the only thing you could get is PAS 9.

There are some options when settign up
-Universal setting
-Standard with LO at 10600 and 22K on...this eliminates scanning the low band on most satellites where we don't have it

You guys are makin me want to get into FTA...

I'm adding a dishfarm to my dream house. Complete with a wire conduit that feeds from the farm to the basement.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts