I am offering 4DTV battery replacement service DSR922 and DSR905

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lonewolf454

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 27, 2009
Georgia, US
So many folks are afraid of losing the UID in their 4DTV due to dead battery, I have decided to offer assistance to any in our community with battery replacement. I have done both 922 and 905 successfully and have years of experience. If your unit still has a UID, it will when you get it back, and should be good for another 10+ years. This is not a money making venture, and lot cheaper than ATS. The 905's are more involved both boards have to be removed to desolder old battery.

DSR905 $10 battery + 40 labor
DSR922 $10 battery + 35 labor

I can also restore bricked 922 (units with only X4 tile) to full tile set including generics, etc and the new X4 "HITS" satellite.

Email or PM for more info. I do accept PayPal in addition to money orders.

I'm going to be doing a test 920 here soon. From what I've seen its not a big deal. The 922 is a bit more involved. If the 905 is like a 405 it seems easy enough. The biggest problems are getting the old battery out and do no ESD damage IMHO. I've done VC2's that was a cakewalk.. I can post here or on my site the steps I took to change the 920's batt if anyone is up to doing it. If not by all means take Lonewolf up on his offer. I would do them but really don't want to get involved because too much red tape if something goes south. Down the road I may offer some things for the DSR's after Map Master is out but not right now.

Last edited:
If anyone comes across a 922 or 920 or 905 let me know I want one badly to replace my 410 in my man cave.I wanna see the masters itc one time before I die lol

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Yes,I'll do 920 too. If UID is no good, there is no point in battery replacement, however.

Ya once the battery dies the unit is a doorstop for digital. The only solution I heard of is replacing the XC chip which loads a new unit ID after battery replacement. The problem is any XC chips you can get your hands on UID are too new and Motorola wont authorize them. It may work for ZK stuff with maps though. :)

lonewolf454 said:
Yes,I'll do 920 too. If UID is no good, there is no point in battery replacement, however.

Oh no. This one is good. It's my only 4DTV receiver. I got it used and I don’t know if it's ever been changed. I hope if it hasn't that it survives the trip to you and doesn't die en route! :eek:

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

I had a 920 sent to me for Map Master testing that I just got yesterday. It was disconnected and in route for about 3 days. When I plugged it in it was dead. The battery read 0.0v Not good! They can die in an instant. Stupid GI and there hammer battery screw!:rant: :sick:

so i know this question has been asked 1,000,000,000 times - and i dont have time to search but- will a bad battery 4dtv still download maps? will it get free to air stuff like fp and zk?

so i know this question has been asked 1,000,000,000 times - and i dont have time to search but- will a bad battery 4dtv still download maps? will it get free to air stuff like fp and zk?

I'm not sure if it will download maps but even if it does the EMM is wiped out and cannot be set so it just searches for signal. The one that is toast here I am going to experiment with and see what happens if we try some loading of the info from other receivers with good EMM's down the road.

I don't know if I should say this in an open area but what the hell... This is what I know. The XC chip contains your personal working key and UID which allows you to be subbed. When the 4DTV is powered up first time at the assembly line the XC chip loads this once in a ram area backed up by a battery. When the battery dies so does that info. The XC chip spits any numbers it wants after the battery dies every time you power up. The number is no good and since there is no EMM it don't work. So unless you could force an EMM into it and get a lock on DC2 again not even Zk will work.

Last edited:
Good 920 vs dead 920

See pictures attached. Looking at diagnostics B there is no EMM provider no monthly working key and a bunch of zero registers. first picture is Dead 920 second is Good 920.

Since you cant hit the box because the UID is no good it can't load those registers and make the box work.

Attachments

• GOOD920.jpg
    GOOD920.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 425
  • DEAD920.jpg
    DEAD920.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 416
I changed the battery in the bad 920 today. It was really easy, but then I'm a tech. I wanted a good battery to test certain things. I have a theory but I can not discuss it here on how it may be possible to still use the brain dead IRD's revive them some what and get them to work for ZK and FP. Any Map Master group members e-mail me or post in the MM forum and we can discuss this idea.

BTW I took pictures and will post them on my website when time allows.

I just finished swapping another test 920's battery. I took more pictures so I have a bunch to post with details on my site. The unit survived the operation UID intact :). took all of maybe 20 minutes. Once you do it it's like riding a bicycle. Heres a picture of the finished battery installed.

BTW the original battery had a 1995 date on it, and still showed 3.6v amazing.

Attachments

• FINISHED.jpg
    FINISHED.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 405
Last edited:
Folks all I am offering is to replace old batteries so you can use the box for another 10 or so years. Batteries are identical to original and soldered into original holes in PCB. I do not offer any type of 4dtv repair service. If you do not have a good UID a new battery will not help you. If you have lost UID to dead battery already, even a new battery will not restore ZK and FP channels.

For 4dtv motherboard repairs, contact ATS: hxxp://www.ats-electronics.com/satellite_repair.htm.

So many folks are afraid of losing the UID in their 4DTV due to dead battery, I have decided to offer assistance to any in our community with battery replacement. I have done both 922 and 905 successfully and have years of experience. If your unit still has a UID, it will when you get it back, and should be good for another 10+ years. This is not a money making venture, and lot cheaper than ATS. The 905's are more involved both boards have to be removed to desolder old battery.

DSR905 $10 battery + 40 labor
DSR922 $10 battery + 35 labor

I can also restore bricked 922 (units with only X4 tile) to full tile set including generics, etc and the new X4 "HITS" satellite.

Email or PM for more info. I do accept PayPal in addition to money orders.
When you replace battery, do you install the new or latest mapmaster maps, or are they the ones that come with the x4 download? If they are the mapmaster maps or tiles, how much do you charge for this?

You resurrected a 5 year old thread and...
Don't expect a reply from lonewolf paunanh, he has not been around here in over three years.
However maybe someone else can reply that knows.

When you replace battery, do you install the new or latest mapmaster maps, or are they the ones that come with the x4 download? If they are the mapmaster maps or tiles, how much do you charge for this?
With Mapmaster there are options as to which maps can be installed.You can put in the last Motorola maps which will keep the older satellite tile format that you have now,however the X4 maps have changed since then but they will automatically update from the satellite.
You can also use the latest updated Mapmaster maps,I think they were last updated back in December.They will,however change a number of sat names and remove the generics,but you wouldn't need the generics because all that you could get is already mapped in.
Now to the heart of the matter,change the battery? why bother,come July 24(if HITS sticks to there schedule)there will be no channels to subscribe to anymore for a 4DTV.The only thing you need a good unit ID for is to subscribe.After that if the battery dies and the ID is lost,you can put in a new battery to keep the 4D working as a dish mover and get whatever "free"DCII is still up there to watch.
Depending on shipping,is it worth $150 + for a month and a half of subscription tv ?If you really want whatever else that may be up there,that may be a different story.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)