I bought a commercial xm/sirius antenna for my house

philhu

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 1, 2004
Cold Boston Area
What a difference it makes! Since it is stationary, it's direction span is alot lower, like 120 degrees instead if 170, so you do have to point it more selectively. Took me about 10 minutes to do it and get all bars on both rcvrs. The advantage is that it is more selective, so the signal it does get is alot stronger.

As a test, I covered the little antenna square (It is 6 inches square), 3/4 with aluminum foil, still got all bars on both rcvrs. Even totally covered, I got 2 bars on both, so it has plenty of signal. Realized i missed covering the last 1/4" by 6" section of it (About 5% of the antenna).

It is pointed almost directly up, slightly south (about 9 degrees), for best signal from both sources. It comes out on an rg-6 wire to a special powered rg-6 splitter and comes with 4 or 8 coax to antenna wires to connect to your antenna inputs on your xm and sirius receivers.

I have a Sony 5300 which has both xm and sirius, so i connected to spliter to each little connection box, one for xm and one for sirius. Top bars all the time, never a dropout, perfect sound and the Sony will play both sources using NEO:6 decoding, for a much cleaner sound and 'fake' rear speaker ambiance (ala 1970's phase changing).

It was a bit pricey, about $200 for the antennas/connectors/converters, but I also connected it to my XM USB rcvr connected to my home computer running Time Trax (old pgm that will record for you and even break between songs, naming them by artist/title/album from the XM 'display'

I'll post a picture of the install soon.

FYI

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts