I bought a hacked Buzz!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

turbosat

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Dec 26, 2006
Oneonta,AL
Been meaning to write this funny story down for anybody else who likes to try out different fta boxes, just for the sake of experience. Found what I thought was a good buy on an older box, a Buzz 2010Plus, which came out about the time my viewsat did, I believe, 2006. Read Icebergs review of the original Buzz, which lacked a component output, and maybe the ac-3 sound, piqued my curiousity. Googled a little too, box with a different processor than most were using at the time.
So this reciever arrives about 4days after I order it. I phoned this order, the lady said "we'll check it out for you and put the file on it before we send it". Hmmm. I say "I don't want any 'files' put on it, just want it the way it came new" Ok , she said.
Wondering, would any dealer be dumb enough to load hackware and ship to somebody they don't even know? The answer was yes.
The hacker's had invented a way to load Sonicview hacker-files into this buzz, they put the @$! file in it anyway and sent it to me. Started to call them back, then thought about calling Dishnetwork just to see what they'd say. Did neither, thought I could reload it, and revive it. No such luck, spent 4-5hours trying, over two nights. Hackware required a 'new' boot-file to be installed, once it's there, there apparently is no way to go back to the original Buzz bootfile, or firmware.
Can't even load the legal sonicview firmware in it. Many thanks to Brentb for sending me his software, thankfully he had saved all his files as the buzz website is no more. The reciever is just 'ok' for scanning, on ku it goes up to 13000 before it stops, and on c-band sats it starts at 3000, instead of 3400 or 3700, can't change it either. The thing has great video which is the reason I kept it, and the ac-3 works on every channel I've tried. Didn't cost much money, but I got what I paid for, I guess, haha.
Anyone wants the dealer's name, PM and I'll pass it on.Not somebody you'd run across ordinarily anyway. Another lesson in life.

I think every box I got used on Ebay except one had hackware. Heck the PVR units I got (Pansat 5000) had PPV movies on the hard drive :eek:

Satellite AV was the authorized warranty repair facility for some time a few years back for the Coolsat brand. We can assure you that Coolsats have never been "Factory Sealed" and never delivered from the manufacturer or the importer with 3rd party firmware. The party that sold the unit most likely added this as a "favor"!

We have actually had eBay purchasers extort feedback because we would not assist them with theft of services. I just looked at the last negative feedback that we received and noticed that the buyer is no longer an eBay member, we called out the buyer on the extortion attempt..... LOL!

When I purchased my "New" Coolsat 6000 on Ebay last year it came factory sealed with hacked firmware on it :(

It might be worth your while to return the receiver and document it, if the dealer gets raided you may be unjustly accused of knowingly purchasing a signal theft device.

Satellite AV was the authorized warranty repair facility for some time a few years back for the Coolsat brand. We can assure you that Coolsats have never been "Factory Sealed" and never delivered from the manufacturer or the importer with 3rd party firmware. The party that sold the unit most likely added this as a "favor"!

We have actually had eBay purchasers extort feedback because we would not assist them with theft of services. I just looked at the last negative feedback that we received and noticed that the buyer is no longer an eBay member, we called out the buyer on the extortion attempt..... LOL!

Thanks SatelliteAV for that information, so my Coolsat was not suppose to be fully shrink wrapped..... :eek:

"Favor" ..... :mad: I had to figure out how to load the factory firmware since Coolsat's website has the firmware but does not have the firmware updating software available :rolleyes:

I guess thats why other Ebay sellers sell the receivers with third party firmware. (I can't believe that they left negative feedback :(, they probably also visited us here and were banned by Iceberg :D)

I was curious about some of the stuff I see on eBay as well...
For instance, there is a CoolSat 5000 listed that says:
"Coolsat 5000 Platinum ORIGINAL FTA Receiver Ready 4 TV
Includes CARD READER installed, 6 months FREE updates"
So... I'm guessing the "free updates" are hack updates, eh?
That being the case, it just blows my mind that it's so blatant.

I thought dish network was suppose to ECM all the hacked boxes this year? Don't look like it's happening :(

olliec420, if you read my orig post, that is exactly what I tried to do. It wouldn't work. I tried 7 ways to sunday, sometimes the receiver would act like it was reading/storing the orig firmware, and say GOOD when finishing the download. But when you reboot the box and it fires up again, nothing actually changed, the hacker file remains. It'll still blind-scan, in its fashion, just not as well as I thought it would.

Well back when Directv had a big piracy problem it was sue first and ask questions later.

Thankfully for legitimate FTAers, the EFF just put a stop to a recent attempt by Echostar to do the same thing to ALL persons who purchased a Coolsat (regardless of their motive)...

Unfortunately there are so many hackers that it seems the vast majority of "FTA" receivers sold on E-bay already have the hack software installed. The sellers just assume that everyone wants it. I wonder how the distribution of these illegal receivers is actually done, is it professionally done or are there hundreds of "mom and pop" basement operations all over North America?

I wonder how the distribution of these illegal receivers is actually done, is it professionally done or are there hundreds of "mom and pop" basement operations all over North America?

Locally there are a few sellers of "FTA" receivers, always small shops, cell stores, etc. They always have a pile of Dish 500, Dish 1000 and maybe 2 real FTA dishes.

More on topic, it seems like that Buzz might need to be JTAG'ed back to factory if you can find the firmware + boot loader. You can get a JTAG interface or cable on eBay. Nothing wrong with having JTAG gear, even my Linksys router has JTAG pins (well holes for pins) out of the box.

I think every box I got used on Ebay except one had hackware. Heck the PVR units I got (Pansat 5000) had PPV movies on the hard drive :eek:

I must be one of the lucky ones then. The last receiver I bought from eBay was clean, even though I later found out the fellow who sold it to me was a pirate who had been previously prosecuted by DishNetwork...

I stopped at a huddle house for lunch and started a conversation with an oversize load pilot car driver because he had a dish mounted to the back of his van. He tried to sell me a hacked reciever for $1000. Said it decrypted every satellite. That it was physically modified with a hard drive and a couple thousand lines of code added to decrypt any satallite. I thought he was full of bull. He wouldnt give me any contact info, and I kept waiting for a cop to drive into the parking lot. Ever hear of anything like that?

Yup, heard of it.........never had it proven. Seems that a lot of "hacker types" just make up a fantastic story to try and sell their stuff. Of course there's no way to decrypt EVERY satellite, the guy you talked to probably wasn't even aware that there were more satellites up there other than Dishnet, Direct TV and Bell.
No contact info? Not surprised. There was probably something stopping him from giving you a demo too right?
You know the old saying "if it sounds too good to be true...........it is!"

I stopped at a huddle house for lunch and started a conversation with an oversize load pilot car driver because he had a dish mounted to the back of his van. He tried to sell me a hacked reciever for $1000. Said it decrypted every satellite. That it was physically modified with a hard drive and a couple thousand lines of code added to decrypt any satallite. I thought he was full of bull. He wouldnt give me any contact info, and I kept waiting for a cop to drive into the parking lot. Ever hear of anything like that?

$1000?? Wow! You know the saying, "There's a sucker born every day." Good thing you didn't buy that thing. 1st, it would have been illegal, 2nd... Once that receiver quit working you'd never find that van again. Anybody selling anything out of the back of a van....c'mon, you're asking for trouble.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)