I can scan only Vertical or Horizontal

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

kelleyga

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 13, 2005
I have:

12 feet BUD
Fortec Ultra Mercury 2 Receiver
Visat Receiver
2 DMS 621 LNB (Only C-Band)

I am not new at installing dishes, but this one I dont know what I am doing wrong.
When I Scan from either receiver or using any of the 2 receiver I only get Vertical TP. During the Blind scan the receiver will show the same TP in Horizontal. So it is like the diode is not moving inside the LNB. But the 2 LNBs I have do the same. I was able by manually moving the LNB around to finally get the Horizontal, but then I get the same problem with the Vertical.

So... This LNB has markes for 0, 60, 90 degrees, so I set the LNB such a way that the vertical line showing 0 degress will be vertical to the ground when I set the Dish to the True South. Aligment is good, the BUD moves from Sat to Sat with no problem.

Any help or ideas are welcome.

Check the voltage (loaded by your switches/LNBF's etc.) supplied to the LNBF on both polarities. Maybe it's not going high enough when H is selected to switch the LNBF?

Power should not be the problem as when I move it around it works for Horizontal but NOT for Vertical.

I will try 3 and 9 O'clock now, I will let you know.

ok its been so long since i used two receivers on the same lnbf ( and i was taking it as a loop out ) what ever powered receiver is pushing the higher voltage
like one is on a H TP and other is on a V TP it will pick up the power being supplied the most voltage ..... i think H is 18 and V is 13
and if you skew the lnbf enough you would pick up H TP as Vertical TP,s it was just a thought...

Does sound like a voltage issue.

If it was LNB skew I would not expect the receiver to scan both H & V as the same.

I always break these things down to basics for troubleshooting, use just 1 receiver connected to the LNB without switches etc. and see what happens.

HI Guys, sorry for the confusion. I only use ONE receiver at the time.
THis is what I just did

pointed BUD to Intel 11 @ 43 degrees.

Went up the latter and set the Square on the LNB to 9 pm. I get ONLY vertical TPs and I get them scanned as Vertical and Horizontal also, so I get the channels twice and both work. No real Horizontal TPs.
I then started turning the LNB to see what happened. When I got the LNB square to 12 o'oclock I then get Horizontal TP but NO Vertical TPs.

So I guess the Voltage may be the problem. When I try with the other receiver I get the same problem. As I said I am using only ONE receiver at the time.

Could it be the cable? I have a long cable about 30 meter long, which is cut in the middle so I used a union there. I was thinking on using a small cable from the LNB directly to a TV next to the dish, just in case the Voltage is being lost on traveling the cable.

Another question, if I get the Verticals at 9 pm and the Horizontals at 12 pm, then would it be save to think that I would get both at 10:30 pm

defn will, you'lll get both H and V and 50% quality lol, worse if there is a same freq on V and H then you'll get around 0% quality :)

I don't know about your cable, but length shouldn't be a problem. Unless you're using RG59! Probably would be a small voltage drop at the point where you have pieced it, but I don't know if it'd be enough to cause those problems. I'm running about 140' RG6 to my cband dishes, and never ran into that problem, using seveal different receivers (including the Mercury 2 in the past). Suggest you take the receiver and tv out to the dish, if possible, using a short coax to connect to lnbf there, see if you can get the lnbf skewed to get both polarities then. If it works out there, then it probably is the cable or connectors.

kelleyga said:
HI Guys, sorry for the confusion. I only use ONE receiver at the time.
THis is what I just did

pointed BUD to Intel 11 @ 43 degrees.

Went up the latter and set the Square on the LNB to 9 pm. I get ONLY vertical TPs and I get them scanned as Vertical and Horizontal also, so I get the channels twice and both work. No real Horizontal TPs.
I then started turning the LNB to see what happened. When I got the LNB square to 12 o'oclock I then get Horizontal TP but NO Vertical TPs.

So I guess the Voltage may be the problem. When I try with the other receiver I get the same problem. As I said I am using only ONE receiver at the time.

Could it be the cable? I have a long cable about 30 meter long, which is cut in the middle so I used a union there. I was thinking on using a small cable from the LNB directly to a TV next to the dish, just in case the Voltage is being lost on traveling the cable.

Another question, if I get the Verticals at 9 pm and the Horizontals at 12 pm, then would it be save to think that I would get both at 10:30 pm

You could check. By taking receiver out to dish and hook it up to see if it will get h & v. If it does then problem with cable. If it doesn't then problem
with lnbf

After trying with a cable from the LNB to a TV next to the Pole I get the same results. I have to 2 LNBs which can not switch from V to H or viceversa. I will order a new one just to be 100% sure.

Thanks.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)