I cancelled

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

ncted

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
Durham, NC
I would like to start by saying that, in general, D* service has been excellent, with the one exception of minimal HD content which is why I switched to cable. I would consider switching back if D* were to get their act together WRT HD.

I cancelled my D* service last night. The service rep. who helped me was very polite and helpful. I would recommend anyone who does not require HD content, or has good OTA reception, go with D*.

I tried out DISH's HD DVR at RadioShack recently, and I would say it is no better than the SA8300HDs I have now from TWC, plus, I was not particularly impressed with the content available on the VOOM channels. Anyway, it's been fun, and who knows, one day I may switch back. I will certainly continue to use this forum to tack D*'s progress.

Ted

Dude, I couldn't stand Time Warner. I couldn't take the "ditch the dish" commercials every commercial break! I might have gone insane, actually. They offended me. I mean, who climes on their roof in the middle of a rainstorm and starts re-angling their dish? lol.

ncted said:
I would like to start by saying that, in general, D* service has been excellent, with the one exception of minimal HD content which is why I switched to cable. I would consider switching back if D* were to get their act together WRT HD.

I cancelled my D* service last night. The service rep. who helped me was very polite and helpful. I would recommend anyone who does not require HD content, or has good OTA reception, go with D*.

I tried out DISH's HD DVR at RadioShack recently, and I would say it is no better than the SA8300HDs I have now from TWC, plus, I was not particularly impressed with the content available on the VOOM channels. Anyway, it's been fun, and who knows, one day I may switch back. I will certainly continue to use this forum to tack D*'s progress.

Ted
time warner has a dvr that runs 2 tv's???

juan said:
time warner has a dvr that runs 2 tv's???

Er...no. Did I somehow suggest this with my comments? Or are you referring to the DISH MR DVRs? This is not really a plus for me. I have 2 DVRs for redundancy's sake. That way, if I have a problem with one of them, the show should have recorded on the other. I switch the priority of the recordings in the "season pass" list, so conflicts are addressed that way as well. Also, I record the HD broadcast on one and the SD on the other, in case there is a problem with the HD broadcast which has happened in the past.

Ted

ncted said:
Er...no. Did I somehow suggest this with my comments? Or are you referring to the DISH MR DVRs? This is not really a plus for me. I have 2 DVRs for redundancy's sake. That way, if I have a problem with one of them, the show should have recorded on the other. I switch the priority of the recordings in the "season pass" list, so conflicts are addressed that way as well. Also, I record the HD broadcast on one and the SD on the other, in case there is a problem with the HD broadcast which has happened in the past.

Ted

You have a lot to learn about DISH's VIP 622 DVR (if that is what you are getting) and you should be presently surprised!

rickaren said:
You have a lot to learn about DISH's VIP 622 DVR (if that is what you are getting) and you should be presently surprised!

I think I have learned all I need to know. I don't want one. Just not my thing. I have switched to TWC.

Ted

TWC came with an attractive offer last Spring, but I had to turn it down for several reasons. First, in my area, they don't offer FOX or CBS in HD (I have waivers for both). Second, they're hostile to the NFL Network. Third, I can easily expand the capacity of my D* DVRs. I have seen posts on AVS Forum about expansion, but I know for certain about the D-TiVos.

Lastly, despite all that cable can offer, they're slow to innovate and implement. The notion that cable always delivers HD seamlessly is a misnomer. I was talking to the engineer of the local NBC affiliate and he voiced his displeasure with the way TWC was delivering their HD signal.

I have no interest in E*, but if Verizon FIOS were to come calling, I would certainly listen.

I'm not saying your criticism of D* isn't valid, there's just no compelling reason for me to leave since no one offers a drastic increase in service, IMO.

I gave TWC a try and their HD looked good but their SD channels looked horrible compared to D*. AThe SD channels were jsut unacceptable. They do not offer all of my locals in HD and I could not live with that and their DVR did not impress me at all. I am happy with D* and will be happier next year....

bidger` said:
TWC came with an attractive offer last Spring, but I had to turn it down for several reasons. First, in my area, they don't offer FOX or CBS in HD (I have waivers for both). Second, they're hostile to the NFL Network. Third, I can easily expand the capacity of my D* DVRs. I have seen posts on AVS Forum about expansion, but I know for certain about the D-TiVos.

Lastly, despite all that cable can offer, they're slow to innovate and implement. The notion that cable always delivers HD seamlessly is a misnomer. I was talking to the engineer of the local NBC affiliate and he voiced his displeasure with the way TWC was delivering their HD signal.

I have no interest in E*, but if Verizon FIOS were to come calling, I would certainly listen.

I'm not saying your criticism of D* isn't valid, there's just no compelling reason for me to leave since no one offers a drastic increase in service, IMO.

I can sympathize with your situation. I was more or less in that place 2 years ago when I switched to D* from TWC. Luckily for me TWC in my area has gotten much better.

Not sure if they are simulcasting the SD channels, but they look as good as the D* channels. SD locals look better on TWC.

The SA8300HD is much better than the DVRs TWC had 2 years ago. I can (and am) expanding my DVR with an eSATA drive. This is additional capacity I can take with me to the next TWC, D*, or Tivo DVR, at least for the current and next generation DVRs. If these DVR makers switch to SAS drives, it'll be game over. The software isn't perfect, but it supports the expansion sufficiently for my viewing habits.

I don't really care about the NFS network, but I can see it being a big deal for so many D* customers.

TWC is missing only the CW in HD currently, whereas D* is missing CBS, FOX, and PBS. The local CBS/FOX station manager made it clear that they would not be feeding D* an HD broadcast anytime soon due to D*'s small spot beam for my market.

I wish Verizon would offer FIOS in my city, but they have said 2012 at the earliest, so I am not holding my breath. If I were in your situation, I would be moving to D* as well.

Ted

Last edited:
I tried a cable run for about 3 weeks this year. I loved the DTC-6412 DVR too, but in the end the PQ is not there. This is why I now have D* and E*

just want to see if this is correct, if you don't have H.D. then twc is a decent service, correct?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts