I can't believe the Difference !!!!!

I should probably add that sports is not my priority either. I'm glad that it isn't E*s either. It does make it a better fit for me.

Not mine either except when it comes to Mets Baseball. Now it looks like my local Mets RSN or SNY is getting turned on, it will all work out near perfectly for me here as soon as..

Dish turns on available superstations in HD. That is just a few channels that many I am sure would love to see. Especially since they don't give you CW and MyTV locally in HD. Let alone some PBS-HD feed.

All I see here are just a few superstations in HD to wow most of the country on that. Wouldn't that be nice? A couple of CW and MyTV channels in HD. For everyone!

Oh, any Mets games in HD not available anywhere else would be on WPIX. A superstation. Cubs fans would also be taken care of as well with WGN. Any Braves games still on TBS? Not sure.

Bottom Line: Wouldn't it be easier in the interm for all SuperStations to make an HD feed available via Dish here? Or Dish could make available local CW or MyTV feed instead, where available. Bandwith limitations complicate that one so why not the SuperStations? Just the SuperStations! SuperStations!!!

Sorry if it seems I am venting. I am. But I know eventually, everything will be in HD. I just hate this waiting cr@p. :cool:

And I must stay with Dish as the HD quality is the best.

Im glad that charlie isnt a sports fag and has his head up the sports communities butt, this month we go back to dish and I say good bye to charter tv's crap sd and hd that only has one hd channel that looks like hd.

I am thinking about coming back to E* after having E* for 3 years, then 2 years with D*. I can't comment on HD picture quality of either, but I have seen SD on both and can say that they were both very good when I had a 4:3 JVC TV. Now I have a Pioneer 50" Plasma and D* SD is ok, barely, but I was watching my neighbors E* SD on his LG 37" LCD and it looked terrible, much worse that D* SD. Maybe there was something wrong with his setup, but now I may put my decision on hold. Any comments on SD on E*? I get my locals OTA, so they are fine, but I still watch alot of channels that are not HD yet, SPEED, SPIKE, CourtTV, HNN, FOX News, etc.

I am thinking about coming back to E* after having E* for 3 years, then 2 years with D*. I can't comment on HD picture quality of either, but I have seen SD on both and can say that they were both very good when I had a 4:3 JVC TV. Now I have a Pioneer 50" Plasma and D* SD is ok, barely, but I was watching my neighbors E* SD on his LG 37" LCD and it looked terrible, much worse that D* SD. Maybe there was something wrong with his setup, but now I may put my decision on hold. Any comments on SD on E*? I get my locals OTA, so they are fine, but I still watch alot of channels that are not HD yet, SPEED, SPIKE, CourtTV, HNN, FOX News, etc.

You should go take a look at your neighbor's setup. Maybe, like my sister, they have the 37" LCD TV connected to the satellite box via coax!

In my opinion, the SD on Dish Network looks as good as you could expect on a 61" screen. When I view SD in half-screen PIP mode, it looks terrific.

Jeff

"...Directv's mpeg 4 does look really good! But I'm sure Dish's will too. ..."

??? Dish has MPEG-4 now, and it looks really good. Actually improved the PQ with lower bit rates. I'd say E* is rolling out MPEG-4 faster and better than D*.

"...Directv's mpeg 4 does look really good! But I'm sure Dish's will too. ..."

??? Dish has MPEG-4 now, and it looks really good. Actually improved the PQ with lower bit rates. I'd say E* is rolling out MPEG-4 faster and better than D*.

Does it look at good as OTA signals since Scott's said the D* MPEG4 lHD LIL's looks as good as OTA?

We sell/install both D* and E*, out of a hundred sales/installs probably less than 5 are D*, E* is just that much better. The only reason to go with D* is NFL ST. On a number of occasions we have installed a full E* system and 1 D* rec. for their main TV that is only used during football season. D* customers can thank E*, or more specifically Charles W. Ergen for their ST. Before the failed D* & E* merger C.Ergen was so sure it would go through that he bet $500,000,000 on it(so to speak). In the end, after it failed he had to pay D* the 1/2 Billion. NFL ST was up for renewal and that is how D* was able to afford to keep it:(.

Different LCD HD TVs have varying abilities to upconvert an SD signal well.

I have not compared the specific models, but one would think that a Pioneer 50" Plasma has a much better "scaler" than an LG 37" LCD.

See if you can make a comparison in a store that has both, on the same TV if possible.

Also, I have found that there is quite a bit of variation between SD channels in quality, and a lot of variation between programs on the same channel. A good illustration was a talking head show on CNBC (SD), where they had 3 people all from different studios. Two guys looked like real crap SD, but one guy looked really clear, in fact, the one guy in the box insert looked better than most of the programs on the channel. That made me realize that a lot of crap looking programs are crap looking at the site of origin. :D

We sell/install both D* and E*, out of a hundred sales/installs probably less than 5 are D*, E* is just that much better.
Or more likely, your not the contract D* install agency. Where I live, Ironwood attempts almost all the uncomplicated installs.

But he doesn't have E* and D* side by side to do a comparision of the MPEG4 PQ like Scott does.
Question was how it looks compare to off-air, not to direct tv and that is what scott also compared, to off-air :)

Does it look at good as OTA signals since Scott's said the D* MPEG4 lHD LIL's looks as good as OTA?

Well, I must admit, it depends upon the station. OTA, in best conditions, and without multicasting (except for weather info), in my area, looks best. I doubt D* looks better, or as good as, based upon reports here, and resolution/bit rate reports. But those reports were, admittedly, MPEG-2. My experience with D* was limited to SD, which was inferior to E* SD. But that was years ago, with a neighbor's setup, and both of us have since moved.

A good illustration was a talking head show on CNBC (SD), where they had 3 people all from different studios. Two guys looked like real crap SD, but one guy looked really clear, in fact, the one guy in the box insert looked better than most of the programs on the channel. That made me realize that a lot of crap looking programs are crap looking at the site of origin. :D

I've noticed that scenerio as well. I've also noticed that sometimes one or two of those heads will be an unnatural orange while another will be the expected skin tone. There seems to be an endless list of variables in this whole process.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts