I cant find 129 on my dish 1000.2

downhilldad

Original poster
May 30, 2007
I just purchased a 1000.2 dish. I have a 311 reciever and a vip 211. I set my elevation and skew according to a pointing chart by zip code and I have fine tuned from there using my reciever and my wife. I get a lock of 105 on the 119 sat tp 11. I have a lock of 100 on the 110 sat tp 14. But no matter what slight or big changes I make I cant find the 129 sat. I leveled the mast, have changed the skew, elevation, I have tried turning the sat dish on the mast side to side, which would be the Azimuth, right? I dont know what to try, help please!:confused:

My guess is that you are picking up the satellites on the wrong LNBFs. Try covering up the 129 LNBF and see if you lose one of the ones you are getting now.

"I get a lock of 105 on the 119 sat tp 11. I have a lock of 100 on the 110 sat tp 14. "

Are the bars green? That means you're locked to the right satellite. If they're red, then you're locked to the wrong satellite like lakebum431 suggested.

If they're green, did you run check switch? Menu, 6, 1, 1, Check switch.

With a 100 on 110 tp 14, he might be too far towards 110. Either that or the skew is off. I agree with running check switch and see what you get.

If he has the right elevation and skew and he is getting them on the right LNBF then he should be fine. But my guess is still wrong satellite on the wrong LNBF (that is assuming that he ran a check switch (as RandallA suggested).

Last edited:
I did indeed run the checkswitch. It shows the 129 position as conn. good connection, no signal. Also 119 and 110 are locked with green bar.

"It shows the 129 position as conn. good connection"

Frist check your skew, make sure it's correct.

Check your connectors and cable for 129. If possible replace it with a different cable and try running check switch.

Edit: Scratch the above, you're not running the lnb cables to a switch. It must be your skew.

Last edited:
after the sun set I am getting a signal strength of 125 on 110 and 107 on 119. I have tried to changing the skew a little each way and a lot each way. My guideline says the skew should be 109, elevation 31 and azimuth 202.

Can you report the output from your switch matrix? I don't have a Dish 1000, but if the 110 satellite is in the middle of 129 and 119 on your switch matrix, I would think that would indicate you're off by 10? or so on your azimuth.

Here's what I would try: disconnect the dish from your receiver and run a switch test to clear the switch matrix in the receiver. Then, do the foil trick (cover the two outboard LNB heads with aluminum foil) and shoot for 119?W with the middle LNB. After you peak 119?, you should have good signal on the other sats when you remove the foil hats and run a switch check.

Good Luck!

Higher SS on 110, sounds like your too far that way. WHats your location?

If you are FACING the front of the dish, the right hand LNB is 129. 129 hits from the left and bounces at an angle and is picked up by the right lnb.

Edit: The advice above about covering the two outer lnbs with foil and peaking to 119 is also a very good idea.

After thinking about it, why not start from scratch.

Cover both outer lnbs with alum foil. Set the skew back to 0(or 90) so it is level. Hit menu 6-1-1 and get on Sat 119 TP 11. Now peak to that.

Once youve got the best signal there with AZ and EL, Im fairly certain all you need to do is adjust your skew until 129 and 110 come in.

Here's another idea. If you stand behind the dish, look to your right side and look up about 20 degrees higher to where the dish points. Is there anything blocking the view?

I went and tried to start over. I covered the outside lnbs with tinfoil, set the skew at 90'and reset elevation and azimuth. I got a green lock on 119 of 104 on tp11. I then tried setting the skew and didnt get anything, then ran a checkswitch and 110 came up with a lock in green of 98. Still nothing on 129. Looking at my dish angle it doesnt look like any trees in the way, but there are trees below and to the sides of where the dish points.

I live in eastern North Dakota and the zip is a 580

Last edited:
...set the skew at 90'and reset elevation and azimuth...
I would suggest setting the skew to the recommended value of 109° and not touch it after that. When you twisted the dish to set the skew, that knocked you out of alignment with 119°W. Since you said your mast is plumb, the right skew for your Zip should align the other satellites once you have 119°W locked in.

Reset the switch matrix, shield the outboard LNBs again, and shoot for 119°W like before. After you have it peaked, remove to foil, do the switch test, and see what you have.

If you still cannot get 129°W, there is either some obstruction, or your 1000.2 LNB assembly is bad and needs to be replaced. I don't know if there is a way to force the switch to use the 129°W LNB so you could see if you get a signal from 110°W or 119°W.

Either hardware issue or something is blocking the signal. I would move the dish to another location and give it another shot. If that doesn't work, you have a bad LNB or something is wrong with the dish itself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts