I can't get DirecTV2PC to work

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mitchflorida

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 12, 2004
I have a great computer and set-up, and Directv2PC is the only software that won't work for me. It loads up okay, but can never see my HR24 receiver or even update to the Directv server. The CSR says this is beta software and they may be scrapping it anyway.

Anyone have any luck with it?

what error message are you getting.
I tried to get my working If I remember I could watch SD recorded shows but not HD shows. I think it had to do with HDCP.

I looked everywhere for a older version without HDCP and no one would give it to me.

So S.O.L

The first error is that my computer can't connect to the DirecTV server to check for updates. Then the direct2pc program searches for my receiver but finds nothing. I have turned off the firewall and it has no effect.

Should I be able to see my DVR Receiver with just Windows 7, without using the direct2pc program? I can't detect the receiver on my network just using windows, though they are connected to the same router in my office.

Dumb question but you're sharing the DVR list right? I have it setup on two Windows 7 computers and it worked right away. No need for me to do anything.

The DVR is in the living room, and the receiver in the bedroom can see the DVR List. Also, I can use DirecTV on Demand, where I order a movie to be recorded to the DVR.

Should I be able to see the DVR Receiver from my computer, without the Direct2pc software?

You can find the IP address for your receiver by logging to the router and checking the DHCP clients. Then as suggested, ping the receiver.

I was able to ping both receivers. However , I was unable to start Network Services and got a 202 error. Any ideas on what that means?

Make sure IPv6 is enabled. I think I had problems starting the network services because I had IPv6 disabled. Have you created a HomeGroup in W7? Create one, reboot and try again.

I got rid of the Network Services 202 error by doing a manual port forwarding in the router for the two receivers. I heard Network Services isn't being used by DTV now.

I was able to create a Home Group . . thought that might help. . but it didn't :)

DirecTV2PC still doesn't connect to the DirecTV Update Server or find my two receivers. I can ping the receivers though . :)

Last edited:
To wrap this up, I was able to get Direct2PC to work by enabling dynamic routing on my Linksys router. It is turned off by default.

My router wasn't mapping the receiver . . not even looking at it. I could ping it but not see it.

The quality on SD is very good. On HD it is watchable, but not smooth. If you have a really up-to-date computer and graphics card, does the HD look really smooth and like watching it normally on HD television?

My router wasn't mapping the receiver . . not even looking at it. I could ping it but not see it.

The quality on SD is very good. On HD it is watchable, but not smooth. If you have a really up-to-date computer and graphics card, does the HD look really smooth and like watching it normally on HD television?

Just got my setup installed today. I have a quad-core cpu and decent nvidia graphics board. HD plays nice and smooth for me.

If I watch Fox News HD or network HD, the show looks great and streams easily. If I try to watch something from Starz HD, the stream slows almost to a halt . . I really can't watch it.

I guess the resolution of Starz HD must be very high compared to the regular network HD feeds? It's too high for my computer to handle, anyway.

Last edited:
Every channel and every show is encoded at a certain bitrate, and some are 480, some 720 and some 1080. Higher resolution and higher bitrate equals a lot more data to stream.

Whats your network connection from the computer with directv2pc? If its wireless, that might be the culprit. Try putting the computer close to the router and hooking it up with a wire, or run a really long wire if its a PITA to move the computer. If you're using powerline, same potential problem. Wireless and powerline work for some people with the right gear and the right environmental conditions, but the quality of service can be a real problem.

GPU is a lot more important than CPU for current versions of directv2pc, while cpu was more important than gpu for the original versions of the s/w.

I can run the current version of direct2pc on a single core 1.6GHz atom machine with an nvidia ION LE graphics chip. The GPU completely supports hardware decode of mpeg2 and mpeg4, so it works. Its a little slow to start up and get into the playlist, but once you're playing a show its just fine.

So a quad core isnt necessary. You dont even need a dual core. GPU's that will fully do the job arent that expensive either. An ATI 4350 for under $20 will do it fine. Of course if its a notebook you cant do much about that.

Every channel and every show is encoded at a certain bitrate, and some are 480, some 720 and some 1080. Higher resolution and higher bitrate equals a lot more data to stream.

Whats your network connection from the computer with directv2pc? If its wireless, that might be the culprit. Try putting the computer close to the router and hooking it up with a wire, or run a really long wire if its a PITA to move the computer. If you're using powerline, same potential problem. Wireless and powerline work for some people with the right gear and the right environmental conditions, but the quality of service can be a real problem.

GPU is a lot more important than CPU for current versions of directv2pc, while cpu was more important than gpu for the original versions of the s/w.

I can run the current version of direct2pc on a single core 1.6GHz atom machine with an nvidia ION LE graphics chip. The GPU completely supports hardware decode of mpeg2 and mpeg4, so it works. Its a little slow to start up and get into the playlist, but once you're playing a show its just fine.

So a quad core isnt necessary. You dont even need a dual core. GPU's that will fully do the job arent that expensive either. An ATI 4350 for under $20 will do it fine. Of course if its a notebook you cant do much about that.

If you have Windows 7, your computer is rated for its performance. Mine comes in at 4.9. Supposedly the weakest link is my Graphics Card 9400GT, which is considered a little better than yours. I also have 3GB of RAM memory. Maybe that is the difference? And my processor is similar to yours.

They really go overboard on the HD quality on Starz and HBO, I guess because we pay so much for those. But it is over-kill as far as I am concerned. I am connected via ethernet over coaxial . .so there is no wireless involved.

And you are saying that you can stream Starz HD and HBO HD seamlessly? Mine is like a series of still photos at that speed. The sound is fine, but the picture will change only every 4 seconds or so . . that is only with 1080i, which I guess they are streaming at.

==================

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.