I can't get DirecTV2PC to work

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I have a question about the DirecTV2PC software myself. I'm moving from cable since its so expensive, and the DVRs are mediocre (IPG is godawful). After setting up my install for monday for a DVR, HD, and a SD box, plus whole home DVR for the HD boxes, I figured I could set up DirecTV2PC rather easily, since the DVR will be next to my router, and I'm a techhead anyway, but I noticed that directv.com says that a manual network install on a DVR is not possible with whole home DVR service, that it has to be installed by a tech. Can anyone explain the rationale behind that?

I have a question about the DirecTV2PC software myself. I'm moving from cable since its so expensive, and the DVRs are mediocre (IPG is godawful). After setting up my install for monday for a DVR, HD, and a SD box, plus whole home DVR for the HD boxes, I figured I could set up DirecTV2PC rather easily, since the DVR will be next to my router, and I'm a techhead anyway, but I noticed that directv.com says that a manual network install on a DVR is not possible with whole home DVR service, that it has to be installed by a tech. Can anyone explain the rationale behind that?

Just because it uses DECA (directv supplied) adapters. They will connect the receiver network to your router and then directv2pc will work. On a new install they only charge $25 for the networking, and the adapters cost at least that.

Just because it uses DECA (directv supplied) adapters. They will connect the receiver network to your router and then directv2pc will work. On a new install they only charge $25 for the networking, and the adapters cost at least that.

Ah, thanks. I figured it was something like that.

Also, is there any way to know for sure what DVR I will get, or is it the luck of the draw? I ordered through 1-800-DIRECTV.

I can stream EVERYTHING seamlessly. What is the 'ethernet over coax' product that you're using? I'm asking because I suspect its the cause. My wimpy little ION box uses a GPU that is basically your 9400gt, cut in half, supported by the wimpiest processor made in the last 9 years.

The only two things I've seen that create a 'slideshow' effect were terrible network quality of service (possibility), really awful gpu on the laster versions of d2pc or really weak cpu on the first couple of versions, or a disk problem with the receiver.

Off the top of my head, from your symptoms I'm guessing network. Can you specify your hardware and run a cable to eliminate it?

I can stream EVERYTHING seamlessly. What is the 'ethernet over coax' product that you're using? I'm asking because I suspect its the cause. My wimpy little ION box uses a GPU that is basically your 9400gt, cut in half, supported by the wimpiest processor made in the last 9 years.

The only two things I've seen that create a 'slideshow' effect were terrible network quality of service (possibility), really awful gpu on the laster versions of d2pc or really weak cpu on the first couple of versions, or a disk problem with the receiver.

Off the top of my head, from your symptoms I'm guessing network. Can you specify your hardware and run a cable to eliminate it?

Here is where it gets interesting. When I go into Network Test Connection on my receiver, I get a 48-878 Error. "Receiver has reduced network performance". I had a tech look at this last week and he couldn't figure it out.

There is co-ax from the HR24 to the upstairs bedroom. Then it goes into a SWM splitter. One co-ax output goes to to the H24 receiver in the bedroom. The other co-ax goes to the DECA input. The output is ethernet cable connected into my router. The DECA unit is powered by AC.

Any idea what the problem is? The tech can't figure it out despite the 48-878 code. Do you think it would be the HR-24 that is faulty or something else? Bad splitter? I wish there was some kind of meter that the tech could use to isolate the problem.

Everything else works okay, including DirecTV on Demand. I can't stream HD video over the network because of network congestion, but SD video looks fine.

I dont have DECA and havent tried it, but from your symptoms and setup it sounds like something in your deca network is either misconfigured (and I dont think theres much to configure, if anything) or busted. As to what is broken, its hard to say. It could be the receiver since it has DECA built in, it could be the other deca unit tied to your router, or it could be the cabling. SWM/DECA operate by running the satellite signal in one frequency range on the wire and the network on a separate frequency. So your cables might be okay for one but not the other. Check the connections, make sure the ends are securely on the cable and tightened firmly. Test the wire with an ohmmeter if you have one to make sure there arent any shorts.

But basically it sounds like a directv issue. "I dont know how to figure it out" is the wrong answer from the tech. He should find out what that error means and get the troubleshooting steps to resolve it.

CFB,

Thanks for the information. Another tech came out yesterday and replaced the HR24-500 with a new HR24-100 and it all seems to work great now.

I think the original tech got in trouble because he didn't fix the error the first time.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts