I could use a little help here......

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

FredC

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 15, 2006
Chicago, IL
Hello all. I'm new here, so please forgive me if I'm in the wrong area. I have Dish Network and I have a new problem. Kinda long story, but please bear with me. Here we go...

I just had a new 522/625 receiver delivered and installed at my home. All is well with the sat portion of my picture, HOWEVER I cannot get my over the air antenna to work with TV2. Works fine to TV1, but not the 21-69 out side. What I tried was a diplexer (from radio shack) that I put in line with the cable attached to the output for ch21-69 (TV2), then attached my air antenna on the antenna side, which combined them into one cable. What I got at the tv's connected to that was a great on air picture and snowy sat pic. Called Dishnetwork, and they told me I need a Holland DPD2 Diplexer (blue) and that will work.

Keep in mind a couple of things. 1: each tv only has 1 input for a cable. 2: I really don't want to use A/B switches 3: I want to conbine the antenna with the Sat output for TV2, so when the dish is off, my son can still watch tv from the air signal.

Am I asking the impossible?? Will the Holland Diplexer work?? From what I've read, they are for BEFORE the cable enters the box. If the Diplexer is wrong, what do I need?????

Thank you all who answer, as I am pulling what little hair I have left on the top of my head out!!! Have a great day, stay safe.
Fred

Do what papa said. A splitter in reverse is also a combiner.

Diplexers only work with RF signal on one port and SAT on the other. The TV2 signal and the OTA antenna are both RF signals.

there is some possibility that the signal from TV2 will end up going out the antenna and broadcasting an unknown distance OTA.

I just wired my 625 the same way you want to do so and other than having to adjust the signal levels before the splitter, all went well. In general two things to remember...first the output of the 625 will be considerably stronger than the signals comming from the antenna so you have two sub options (attenuate the 625 output or amplify the outside antenna lead in before it hits the splitter)

Second, make sure TV2(s) are set to broadcast and not cable and make sure that the 625 is set to a channel that is not in use over the air. I have my 625 set to "air" and there is a chance that it might be radiating from my internal CATV distribution, but I do not have any neighbors to worry about. Also you may not be aware that you can have as many TV2s that you want to add and you can get extra remotes (522 or 625) from the Dish store for $10 (refurbished) and I now have 4 TV2s in use that I can use throughout my house (keeping in mind that you only have to set up some family rules as to what to do if anyone wants to watch something different. You can also watch the recorded DVR movies on TV2 if you set up the receiver to dual. Lots of flexibility.

Hope this provides encouragement. It avoids the need for a bunch of satellite receivers throughout your house (unless of course there are several family viewers that all want to watch something different)

Everyone out there..... Here is where I am at right now. Went to the shack & got a combiner. After I got home I discovered that one side is for VHF, the other for UHF. I hooked it up anyway & guess what, it ALMOST works!!!! My VHF channels (OTA) come in great, while my UHF, except from the dish, come in snowy. I know, I need to get a combiner that covers UHF/VHF on both sides, or in other words a freq. range fron 5-850+ mghz. Guess I'll be shopping tomarrow at lunch! Thank you all for the GREAT advice. Stay safe! Fred

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)