I DID IT! I finally switched...any tips?

Dan Militello

Original poster
Jul 18, 2012
Northwest Chicago Burbs
I got a pretty solid deal! Finally switching from Comcast (Keeping the HSI though) I'll attach an image of my invoice so you know what I got.

DISH.jpg

Anyway my family has had Comcast since the 80's so I don't really know what to expect. Is there anything I should look at after my install this Sunday? I know there a different types of receivers that go out...is one better then the other?

The only add-ons I wanted to get were the Sports Package (for RedZone) and I was quite intrigued by the Sling Adapter. I decided to hold off because I recently saw a lot of people getting the Sling Adapter for Free due to some polite inquiring to the reps as well as the chance of a deal for RedZone coming out closer to the start of the NFL season.

I plan on getting the wireless set up ($25 bucks/ea I believe) so I can have On Demand once installed

Any advice on things to double check or features I may not know about is greatly appreciated. I'm pretty excited for Sunday and for the change. Sorry if all my rambling above was wrong or didn't quite make sense...this is all fairly new to me.

Welcome to the forums, and to the DISH Family! When the tech is doing your install, he will connect your receivers to the internet for you at no cost. Since you're getting 1 Hopper and 2 Joeys, only the Hopper will need to be connected to the internet to get streaming access to the Joeys.

Please let us know if you have any specific questions!

Thank you all for the warm welcome! This looks like a very helpful and fun community.

I will say I am a little confused. Since I have the Hopper; will that be connected to my internet and then be able to stream On Demand to all tv's?

I was browsing the "Get Connected" portion online and it had a number of methods to connect your televisions to the internet to gain access to On Demand/Order PPV w Remote/Manage DVR from smartphone.

The Joeys will be able to use the Hopper's internet connection, so only the Hopper needs to be connected.

The tech can use a direct ethernet, WiFi adapter, or a HIC (Hopper Internet Connector) to get your equipment connected to the internet. He'll determine the best one while on site.

Thank you all for the warm welcome! This looks like a very helpful and fun community.

I will say I am a little confused. Since I have the Hopper; will that be connected to my internet and then be able to stream On Demand to all tv's?

I was browsing the "Get Connected" portion online and it had a number of methods to connect your televisions to the internet to gain access to On Demand/Order PPV w Remote/Manage DVR from smartphone.
YOU will need to start praying that your favorite channels are not dropped. Both DISH and Directv have currently lost important channels due to contract disputes.

You also need to understand that the Joey is what used to be called a dumb modem. The Joey is only a slave to the Hopper all tuning and hard drive capabilities reside in the Hopper, if the hopper fails your entire TV system is dead.

boba said:
YOU will need to start praying that your favorite channels are not dropped. Both DISH and Directv have currently lost important channels due to contract disputes.

You also need to understand that the Joey is what used to be called a dumb modem. The Joey is only a slave to the Hopper all tuning and hard drive capabilities reside in the Hopper, if the hopper fails your entire TV system is dead.

Why be such a downer, Bob? Oh wait, Bob....

Why be such a downer, Bob? Oh wait, Bob....
He has been a customer of cable since the 80's so he isn't used to being a pawn in programming negotiations. He probably could drive to the cable office and get a replacement receiver if one failed he didn't lose all TV if his receiver failed and he definitely didn't have to wait for a service call or shipping. He asked for information about his new TV delivery system, am I lieing to him about problems he probably has no idea about?

Yeah cause praying works :)

As for the Hopper/Joey configuration, your taking a risk but its well worth it. The technology is quite impressive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts