I did it...I got the ViP 622

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

guerra

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 29, 2007
San Francisco/Tracy
Yep, after wondering for a while whether or not to dump Dish and get DirecTv, I decided to call in and use the Dish it up program to get 622. The installer came in today along with a new 1000.2 dish. And wow, does that dish look big and slick! I was previously using the OLD dish 500 system that had separate LNBs but were sitting next to each for both the 110 and 119 satellite.

Anyhow, after the installer struggled to get signal with the new dish, he finally got signal, set everything up, and wow. I must say, the 622 is pretty darn nice. The menus/guide is sooo much faster and look better than my old Philips 4900 receiver. The installer set it up so I can use both tuners on a separate tv. So now my SDTV upstairs gets programming on tv2, and my hdtv on tv1 downstairs. This is also my first dvr ever, and it's pretty nice. Still trying to get used to all those buttons on the remote though. Also, the HD channels look nice. They're not that bad, except for TNT HD. I don't know if it's just me, but TNT HD looks horrible compared to the other HD channels...I love Discovery HD though :)

But yeah, just thought I'd share :)

I'm getting a VIP 622 this Saturday. I can't wait to start getting HD channels!. Come on week move faster! :bounce

You wont go back to a regular receiver after you have gotten used to a DVR. I go round my friends house they dont have a dvr and i keep trying to pause the picture ! we record most programs we would normally watch so we can skip all those darn adverts.

I used to be a Directv customer and had a HD Tivo, but I switched to E* and the 622 in Feb, have never looked back. While I think Tivo's onscreen interface looks more polished, the 622 has some features that blow the Tivo away. I love the multiple sat. inputs that can come in on one diplexed coax. I love the 2nd TV output w/ separate remote and full DVR capability. I love the skip ahead button for 30-second skips. The only think I really dislike about the 622 is the fact that when you are pausing or using slow-mo, the progress bar remains on screen...often blocking content I want to see. I could get rid of this on the Tivo, but haven't been able to figure out how to on the 622 yet.

Anyway, welcome to the 622 club...I think you will love it!

...The only think I really dislike about the 622 is the fact that when you are pausing or using slow-mo, the progress bar remains on screen...often blocking content I want to see...
At least in the pause mode, if you hit the yellow "Skip Fwd" button once, you will clear the timer bar at the bottom of the screen. Is that what you meant? I usually enter slow-mo from there so that timer is still gone...

To you new 622 "owners" - I've had my 622 for over a year and I like it a LOT. I did have to return the first one that had the prolific "no HDMI output" problem from the get-go, but the replacement has been essentially flawless. Make sure the unit gets plenty of ventillation, and make sure the HDMI cable is supported so it's weight is not pulling down on the plug/socket. Don't wiggle that plug if it can be avoided.

When you use the unit in the "Single" mode, you have the PIP features available for TV2 as well as TV1, and in that mode the TV2 (UHF) remote will control the 622 from either location.

Don't forget that some of the "HD" programming is not HD 24/7.

Good luck with your units - I'm sure you'll come to love them quickly. Welcome, BTW...

Also, the HD channels look nice. They're not that bad, except for TNT HD. I don't know if it's just me, but TNT HD looks horrible compared to the other HD channels...I love Discovery HD though :)
It's not you. TNT-HD has been the subject of numerous complaints, including some exchanges in publications. TNT refuses to change the way are doing it.

I'll echo the other comment - make sure that the 622 has plenty of ventilation. It takes in air from the vents on the right side (if you are facing the front of the receiver), and blows out hot air on the left side. Make sure both are clear of obstructions, and don't put it in a closed case that doesn't get ventilation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)