I don’t mind Dish Network making a profit, but not a killing.

It's so easy to knock a company when they raise rates. Yep, they are trying to make us all leave and go to another provider, that must be it.
The fact that the companies supplying the programming, including the local stations, are asking double digit % increases, that energy costs have skyrocketed, or the cost of keeping up with technology that we all want doesn't play into it?

Yet, Dish remains one of the lowest priced providers still, or at the least still less than most cable companies, and as always neck and neck with Direct. So just how are they making such a huge profit compared to everyone else??

For me, it's a little more than just the cost however. I have subscribed with Dish almost since they started, before there was such a thing as local Networks on the small dish. I have always looked around to see my alternatives and Dish always wins, sometimes not my much I admit. But they have basically had uninterrupted service to me all these years, have had some of the more obscure channels that carry Uconn basketball from time to time, and as someone who watches alot of movies, they have some of the better selections and rates. If I could pay less somewhere, it would have to be a whole lot less.

Last edited:
$5/mo per customer ? Dish has 13 million customers... That's $65,000,000 (read 65 million) profit per month. Not exactly a killing, eh ?

Think about what they have to do for their $5/month... All your equipment, satellites, phone support, etc.

I never said it did not add up to a lot, which is why Dish is in a volume game.

If Dish went non profit your bill would only go down by $5/month on average. And next year you would still have a rate hike... Think about it.

Think about what they have to do for their $5/month... All your equipment, satellites, phone support, etc.

I never said it did not add up to a lot, which is why Dish is in a volume game.

If Dish went non profit your bill would only go down by $5/month on average. And next year you would still have a rate hike... Think about it.

amazing that people don't think about Dish having to pay 25,000 employees salaries, their health insurance, property taxes on their offices and call centers, rent, new satellites, trucks, insurance, R&D, lobbiests, oh yeah, and programming...

Bob Haller said:
well I dropped E and am very happy with comcastt triple wplay bundle:)

and have ZERO connection with whoever started this discussion.

what you did was make it difficult on the next dish tech you will have at your house

"Profit" isn't that a term used to describe what a business makes "after" expenses?

65 million a month....................:eek:

mike123abc said:
You said "profit". Apparently you don't know what that word means. I'm only going by what you stated.

amazing that people don't think about Dish having to pay 25,000 employees salaries, their health insurance, property taxes on their offices and call centers, rent, new satellites, trucks, insurance, R&D, lobbiests, oh yeah, and programming...

Amazing that the forum Dishnet CSR's stay out of threads like this and the "losing absolute" one, Why?:D

"Profit" isn't that a term used to describe what a business makes "after" expenses?

65 million a month....................:eek:

I would call that a successful business man.

Stemming from a guy who just wanted TV at his tailgate, id have to say Charlie has done well for himself, and I will gladly give him $5 a month "profit" for this service I receive from him and his business.

I would call that a successful business man.

Stemming from a guy who just wanted TV at his tailgate, id have to say Charlie has done well for himself, and I will gladly give him $5 a month "profit" for this service I receive from him and his business.

I wonder if was using a hacked Videocipher module on his tailgate? :D

You said "profit". Apparently you don't know what that word means. I'm only going by what you stated.

Yes, profit after all expenses. I was just pointing out that Dish goes through a lot of effort to make the profit they make. Most people just see the bill from Dish (or DIRECTV or Cable) and think that Dish is getting all that money strait to Charlie's pocket. It is a very narrow margin business. If you go to Starbucks every day, Starbucks is more likely to make a larger profit off of your business during the month than Dish did ($3/day at Starbucks is about $9/month profit for Starbucks).

Yes, profit after all expenses. I was just pointing out that Dish goes through a lot of effort to make the profit they make. Most people just see the bill from Dish (or DIRECTV or Cable) and think that Dish is getting all that money strait to Charlie's pocket. It is a very narrow margin business. If you go to Starbucks every day, Starbucks is more likely to make a larger profit off of your business during the month than Dish did ($3/day at Starbucks is about $9/month profit for Starbucks).

Yes, his equipment cost for the customers has to be astronomical. I'm sure we would have lower bills if everyone was required to purchase there own equipment instead of it being subsidized by Charlie and made up for in higher programming cost. But, everybody wants free. Free phones, Free receivers, Free absolute.:D I was one of the very first HD only subs and the only way could get it was to install and purchase your own equipment. It was $10 a month w/ a $5 access fee. But well worth it.:)

Yes, profit after all expenses.
I'm well aware of what expenses are, well, not exactly in regards to running a satellite TV provider, but that's irrelevant. You downplay $5/mo per customer like it's not a lot. It's $65 MILLION every month !! Or, over 3/4 of a BILLION dollars a year !!

Yes, his equipment cost for the customers has to be astronomical. I'm sure we would have lower bills if everyone was required to purchase there own equipment
instead of it being subsidized by Charlie
and made up for in higher programming cost. But, everybody wants free. Free phones, Free receivers, Free absolute.:D I was one of the very first HD only subs and the only way could get it was to install and purchase your own equipment. It was $10 a month w/ a $5 access fee. But well worth it.:)

Retailers foot the bill & take all the risk for him, E* isn't out anything. That is another & very sore subject for me.........

Retailers foot the bill & take all the risk for him, E* isn't out anything. That is another & very sore subject for me.........

Retailers like to think they ARE E* instead of WORKING FOR E*. Charlie pays you, and while you're effectively a contract employee with no benefits, you still get a check. You obviously must make a decent enough living, YOU'RE STILL A RETAILER. If you don't like it, quit. *shrug*

Most retailers got into the business to become Charlie, hoping to one day replace him, not answer to him. But you all forgot the number one rule of business; only one person, company, agenda can be on top. Charlie likes to be on top if you've watched his chats. So Charlie's taking you for a ride. You can be grateful and enjoy the benefits, or whine that you'll never be worth as much as he is and that it's unfair.

THAT is the message you need to be getting at Team Summit. That is what the CSRs would love to tell most of the especially obnoxious dealers but won't risk their jobs for. That is why the chats are dog and pony shows about ESPN, Starz, HBO or the latest vendor needing a shameless plug. Retailers are tolerated, not necessary. The best of them (the ones who don't whine often or without cause) might even be desired as business partners.

Retailers like to think they ARE E* instead of WORKING FOR E*. Charlie pays you, and while you're effectively a contract employee with no benefits, you still get a check. You obviously must make a decent enough living, YOU'RE STILL A RETAILER. If you don't like it, quit. *shrug*

Most retailers got into the business to become Charlie, hoping to one day replace him, not answer to him. But you all forgot the number one rule of business; only one person, company, agenda can be on top. Charlie likes to be on top if you've watched his chats. So Charlie's taking you for a ride. You can be grateful and enjoy the benefits, or whine that you'll never be worth as much as he is and that it's unfair.

THAT is the message you need to be getting at Team Summit. That is what the CSRs would love to tell most of the especially obnoxious dealers but won't risk their jobs for. That is why the chats are dog and pony shows about ESPN, Starz, HBO or the latest vendor needing a shameless plug. Retailers are tolerated, not necessary. The best of them (the ones who don't whine often or without cause) might even be desired as business partners.

Wow, you just really don't know, do you? :confused:
It's obvious my previous comment has upset you, for that I am sorry. I am not going to try & decipher this rant nor will I respond to further ones.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)