I don't understand my first statement...

jcw74801

Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
Yeah, I know, I can call Dish. But I don't hang out with Dish. I hang out here :)

So I order Dish from Charlie, new plasma tv, new surround system, etc. I haven't bought a tv in 15 years. Gee, things have changed a bit. It's been a couple of months and I still can hardly believe how cool this stuff is.

Anyway, I got my first bill and I'm not sure if it is all correct.

I got:

2-year commitment
Vip722
Turbo Gold
locals
Cinemax for a penny
HBO/Starz free for 3 months
DHPP for 9 months

It is billed as DishDVR Advantage for $49.99. No problem there.
They charged me a penny for Cinemax. No problem there.

But there is a $30 charge for 3-premium package and a $20 credit for HBO/Starz promo. So it's not free. It's $10. Is this right?

It's not the $10 for 12 month promo. It's the 3 months free. The $20 credits are 1-of-3, 2-of-3.

So all I'm wondering is if the HBO/Starz free for 3 months is supposed to be totally free or if it is, well, $10/month.....

That is for current (partial month) and advanced billing (2nd month)on the HBO/STARZ
I just signed up last week and here is what I was charged:

02/21 02/20 DISHDVR ADVANTAGE CREDIT -$3.00
02/17 02/17 CREDIT CARD PAYMENT -$58.34
02/11 02/11 3 PREMIUM PACKAGE 02/10 TO 03/14 $35.98
02/11 02/11 SILVERHD 02/10 TO 03/14 -$11.61
02/10 02/09 3 MTHS PREM OFFER 2 OF 3 -$22.00
02/10 02/09 3 MTHS PREM OFFER 1 OF 3 -$22.00

The 3 premium package includes:
1) HBO - $10.00
2) Starz - $10.00
3) HD package Gold - $10.00

I thought that dish gave you free hd for the first 6 months though?? Could be wrong but that is a break down of the 3 premium package

I've had the same question. Putting them into categories is fine, but why don't they break it up line by line so we can actually see where our money is going? The confusing thing to me is that they call things differently online when you login to see your programming than what it is called on the paper statement you get each month. I guess they like having confused customers.

the DVR Advantage is calculated at the 200/Silver level. If you get 250/Gold it's $10 more, simple as that.

And I agree on the part about keeping the customer confused. If you're not sure how much you're paying and what it's for, it becomes hard to compare with the competition.

the DVR Advantage is calculated at the 200/Silver level. If you get 250/Gold it's $10 more, simple as that.

And I agree on the part about keeping the customer confused. If you're not sure how much you're paying and what it's for, it becomes hard to compare with the competition.
It's hard to compare and also allows them to more easily insert hidden costs that you would not see unless you scrutinize what items make up the categories by calling and asking.

It's hard to compare and also allows them to more easily insert hidden costs that you would not see unless you scrutinize what items make up the categories by calling and asking.

Actually, it saves you a buck under the new pricing. 2 premiums is $22, but 3 is $31. Therefore, if they included the Gold channels on the basic side, you'd miss that $1 discount.

As confusing as DISH's packaging is, and as awful as their CSRs are, I've never had them screw up my pricing. It's all automatic- you'll get whatever the best combination is for what you asked for. If anything, I often find that my bill is LOWER than I expect after I make a change.

You will probably see a $21 dollar credit on your next bill instead of $20, due to the price increase. I just dropped Showtime and Platinum and my HBO/Starz credit went from $20 to $22, because I went from 4 premiums for $40 to 2 premiums for $22.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)