I Found This New HS-17 Install Video

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Having read about some good deals folks were getting to re-up their contracts, and knowing full well I'm not going anywhere, I called yesterday to see if I could save a few bucks if I was willing to commit to a contract. I was offered the Genie 2 and all necessary clients (I have one 4K set) and $55/month off my bill for a year. I already had a $20/month for year that I got when adding Sunday Ticket Max ($99).

Install is set for tomorrow. I have the HR44 now with a couple of wireless clients and an HR24. With all the streaming and on demand options I don't mind giving up the second DVR and I'm looking forward to the 4K picture and saving a few bucks in the process. I'll let you know my impressions of it all after I have a bit of time to play with it.

Having read about some good deals folks were getting to re-up their contracts, and knowing full well I'm not going anywhere, I called yesterday to see if I could save a few bucks if I was willing to commit to a contract. I was offered the Genie 2 and all necessary clients (I have one 4K set) and $55/month off my bill for a year. I already had a $20/month for year that I got when adding Sunday Ticket Max ($99).

Install is set for tomorrow. I have the HR44 now with a couple of wireless clients and an HR24. With all the streaming and on demand options I don't mind giving up the second DVR and I'm looking forward to the 4K picture and saving a few bucks in the process. I'll let you know my impressions of it all after I have a bit of time to play with it.
You could have kept your HR24 and gone to an HR54 and client for 4k. If your HS17 goes down, you are sol until it gets replaced.

Reactions: littlecloud319
I am aware of that but I'd have to add another client with the HR54 and again, lots of streaming options as a backup.

How many streaming options? With the DIRECTV app you still get almost all the channels you normally would, with locals being the most missed in many places.

How many streaming options? With the DIRECTV app you still get almost all the channels you normally would, with locals being the most missed in many places.
I think that's what he's saying ...

With the HS17, even if it should go down, he has lots of backup through streaming via the app. (As well as online on a PC or Mac. from DIRECTV.com of course).

So he can avoid the additional monthly cost of an HR54 + an HR24 + a 4K client option suggested to him earlier by raoul5788

With the HS17, even if it should go down, he has lots of backup through streaming via the app. (As well as online on a PC or Mac. from DIRECTV.com of course).

So he can avoid the additional monthly cost of an HR54 + an HR24 + a 4K client option suggested to him earlier by raoul5788
And I was trying to say you don't need lots of streaming options, only one the DIRECTV app, which gets you just about everything you would get via the STB.

this all assumes someone has access to broadband. It is still my contention that many directv customers do not.
therefore a single box should not be considered a viable solution by them

this all assumes someone has access to broadband. It is still my contention that many directv customers do not.
therefore a single box should not be considered a viable solution by them
So what about cellular access? If they're an AT&T wireless customer with certain data plans then any DIRECTV streaming usage doesn't count against their data usage, so broadband not necessary.

What are you basing your contention that many (what percentage is that) that doesn't have broadband?

So what about cellular access? If they're an AT&T wireless customer with certain data plans then any DIRECTV streaming usage doesn't count against their data usage, so broadband not necessary.

What are you basing your contention that many (what percentage is that) that doesn't have broadband?

much of hte rural population have no cable access, that is the base of customers for satellite tv
no cable usually means no broadband, a few may have a wisp or dsl.
iirc its @ 10-15% of the that cannot get broadband, from the latest report. this is @ 40% in the rural area

the app will only work on a mobile phone, it cannot be mirrored to a tv. and not everyone has att, its just not reliable in some areas

so no internet should

I take exception to your assumption that most of DBS customers are in rural areas. The vast majority of the population resides in urban areas and just looking at homes a lot of them have a satellite dish up on the roof.

Using AirPlay to an Apple TV I can mirror my iPhone to that box and stream content just fine. If you have an iPad then the HDMI adapter cable also works.

Yes, the HS17 is not a good solution for some folks, like the 8 TV house or folks with no broadband/cellular data. But the majority of folks don't fit in that box so using the DIRECTV app to stream for the two days it would take to get a replacement HS17 might solve that worry.

I take exception to your assumption that most of DBS customers are in rural areas. The vast majority of the population resides in urban areas and just looking at homes a lot of them have a satellite dish up on the roof.

Using AirPlay to an Apple TV I can mirror my iPhone to that box and stream content just fine. If you have an iPad then the HDMI adapter cable also works.

Yes, the HS17 is not a good solution for some folks, like the 8 TV house or folks with no broadband/cellular data. But the majority of folks don't fit in that box so using the DIRECTV app to stream for the two days it would take to get a replacement HS17 might solve that worry.

head over tho the directv forums
mirror via airplay is not officially supported and does not always works, plenty of people have issues with it
mirroring in general is not officially supported, but does work at for some

i said that rural people with no cable were the base of the users for satellite tv, they always have been.
sure some people in urban areas get sat, but compared to those with cable?

I looked over there and the not supported response weren't from an AT&T employee but ACE forum users, I haven't yet found an official AT&T response.

I will still dispute your asumption that rural customers are the base for satellite TV customers. I've always lived in urban areas where there are many ad's run for DIRECTV and to a much lesser extent Dish. When DIRECTV first came out it was all about you their signal was 100% digital, much better then cable TV, not hey get DIRECTV because you can't get cable.

Reactions: TermiNader
I looked over there and the not supported response weren't from an AT&T employee but ACE forum users, I haven't yet found an official AT&T response.

I will still dispute your asumption that rural customers are the base for satellite TV customers. I've always lived in urban areas where there are many ad's run for DIRECTV and to a much lesser extent Dish. When DIRECTV first came out it was all about you their signal was 100% digital, much better then cable TV, not hey get DIRECTV because you can't get cable.

you wont find an official response, as directv/att never really makes them

sat tv doesnt have to compete with cable in rural areas, just between themselves (dish or directv, or BUD) as there is no other choice. heance no target.

Reactions: TermiNader
I'm a half hour from Philly in South Jersey. Hardly rural and have FiOS gigabit internet. As for streaming, yes, DTV app as well as Netflix and Amazon. I'm good.

Oh, and the 4K picture is amazing.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)