I give up. :confused:

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

kelleyga

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 13, 2005
I installed my C band system myself reading a lot to understand. I have a 10 feet Dish on a 17 feet pole. I got the dish (free from a house) installed the legs, the new lnbs, scalar ring, etc, etc, etc. I got a Pansat 3500. I had a Ku/C band system. THe system was working great and I even used to realign to try to get the best signal posible. I also use to move the feedhorn to get the best picture and signal. I would align it back in seconds, EASY. Then I wanted to get NSS806 which is a R/L satellite. Then I bought a Wideband feedhorn (Chaparral Corrotor II Ku/C International) to replace the one I had (Chaparral Corrotor II Normal Ku/C). I also wanted to install a DSS lnb to get DirectvLA. Well, I then removed the scalar ring to cut it and insert the DSS lnb. Because It is a 17 pole I did the 2 thing at the same time. Once I did that, I am NOT able to realign perfectly as before. I have done everything, read read read like in the beginning to make sure I am doing it right. I DO NOT know what the problem is, I am completely frustrated I know I am doing it right. So maybe you guys can help me. This is what I have.

Changes introduced:

1) Scalar ring was cut: Put a new one and still same problem
2) Legs were moved when removing scalar ring:
a) I measured the dept = 18 with step in the middle and 19 without step.
b) I measured dish = 10 feet.
c) Moved legs so that focal point was at different places: 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 NO LUCK
d) Moved Feedhorn to .36 .38 .40 .41 using the above Focal Points. NO LUCK
e) Measured the distance from 3 even 4 o 5 o 6 o 7... different points from the edge of the dish to the feed to make sure they were the same using all of C and D setups, NO LUCK.
f) Removed the DSS and used a new Scalar Ring, NO LUCK.
g) Got a new C band lnb, which I thought was bad and NO LUCK.

I am really confused. If I try to get AMC 12 I can find it, and from there I can find ALL of the satellites all the way to SatMex but week signal, 60% when I used to get 80% or 90%. On PAS 3R I was able to hit on Ku almost 95% but on C band only 45 o 50% when I used to get 80%. Now something strange is that on NSS806 I get all channels at a GREAT signal level, 80% to 100%. Even on Int707 and 705 I get great signal which are also L/R satellites. On all the other ones I week week signal and not all channels. I just dont know what is going on

Can it be that this Wideband Chaparral Feedhorn is more for L/R than H/V? Is that what it is and I have been going crazy for 4 weeks?

The only one thing I have not tried is putting back a regular Chaparral Corrotor II H/V.

ANy Ideas????

PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP :confused:

kelleyga said:
I installed my C band system myself reading a lot to understand. I have a 10 feet Dish on a 17 feet pole. I got the dish (free from a house) installed the legs, the new lnbs, scalar ring, etc, etc, etc. I got a Pansat 3500. I had a Ku/C band system. THe system was working great and I even used to realign to try to get the best signal posible. I also use to move the feedhorn to get the best picture and signal. I would align it back in seconds, EASY. Then I wanted to get NSS806 which is a R/L satellite. Then I bought a Wideband feedhorn (Chaparral Corrotor II Ku/C International) to replace the one I had (Chaparral Corrotor II Normal Ku/C). I also wanted to install a DSS lnb to get DirectvLA. Well, I then removed the scalar ring to cut it and insert the DSS lnb. Because It is a 17 pole I did the 2 thing at the same time. Once I did that, I am NOT able to realign perfectly as before. I have done everything, read read read like in the beginning to make sure I am doing it right. I DO NOT know what the problem is, I am completely frustrated I know I am doing it right. So maybe you guys can help me. This is what I have.

Changes introduced:

1) Scalar ring was cut: Put a new one and still same problem
2) Legs were moved when removing scalar ring:
a) I measured the dept = 18 with step in the middle and 19 without step.
b) I measured dish = 10 feet.
c) Moved legs so that focal point was at different places: 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 NO LUCK
d) Moved Feedhorn to .36 .38 .40 .41 using the above Focal Points. NO LUCK
e) Measured the distance from 3 even 4 o 5 o 6 o 7... different points from the edge of the dish to the feed to make sure they were the same using all of C and D setups, NO LUCK.
f) Removed the DSS and used a new Scalar Ring, NO LUCK.
g) Got a new C band lnb, which I thought was bad and NO LUCK.

I am really confused. If I try to get AMC 12 I can find it, and from there I can find ALL of the satellites all the way to SatMex but week signal, 60% when I used to get 80% or 90%. On PAS 3R I was able to hit on Ku almost 95% but on C band only 45 o 50% when I used to get 80%. Now something strange is that on NSS806 I get all channels at a GREAT signal level, 80% to 100%. Even on Int707 and 705 I get great signal which are also L/R satellites. On all the other ones I week week signal and not all channels. I just dont know what is going on

Can it be that this Wideband Chaparral Feedhorn is more for L/R than H/V? Is that what it is and I have been going crazy for 4 weeks?

The only one thing I have not tried is putting back a regular Chaparral Corrotor II H/V.

ANy Ideas????

PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP :confused:

Does this have the dialectric plate ? Have read ir decreases signal on H/V ?

Wyr

No dialectic ring. I dont think so. Here are the specs:

Features

Low Loss Dipole
Adjustable Scalar Ring
Low Level Waveguide Flange with Waterproof Gasket
100% Tested Servo Motor
Polyurethane Powder Coating
Mounts to Single-Pole, Tripod and Quadpod support
Comprehensive Factory Warranty
Specifications
Corotor II Plus and Corotor II Plus Wideband
Specifications
Corotor II Plus and Corotor II Plus Wideband

Part Number Corotor II Plus: 11-5000-62
Corotor II Plus Wideband: 11-7128-62
C-Band Input Frequency Range: 3.7 - 4.2 GHz
(3.4 - 4.2GHz for Wideband)
Ku-Band Input Frequency Range: 11.7 - 12.7 GHz
(10.95 - 12.75GHz for Wideband)
f/D Range: .32 to .45
VSWR: 1.3:1 in both bands
Polarization: Linear; horizontal and vertical
(Circular C-band for Wideband model)
Cross Pol. Isolation: 20 dB or better
RF Ports C-Band: WR 229 compatible
Ku-Band: WR 75 compatible
Power requirements +5 VDC and TTL Logic Pulse
Weight 1.40 Kg

The feed adjustment is crucial with a wideband feed, also the teflon slab is in the feed throat if settup proper you should not really notice a loss in signal.

the teflon slab ? You mean a white plastic inside the feed that is not on a regular Non Wide band?

I did not touch it? Do I need to set up that some way???

You got me lost. Could you explain a little ? Thanks.

kelleyga said:
the teflon slab ? You mean a white plastic inside the feed that is not on a regular Non Wide band?

I did not touch it? Do I need to set up that some way???

You got me lost. Could you explain a little ? Thanks.

Do not touch the slab, if your feed is well centered and at the proper setting for the dish you will need to adjust the feed on your V and H channels by rotating the feed in the scalar ring, if you peak your H and V swing over to the L and R channels adjust the skew if necessary.

OK, I will try moving the feed around clockwise to see if I can get a better signal on H/V.

Now, you said to also adjust skew for R/L. YOu mean to do that from my Pansat reciver right?

kelleyga said:
OK, I will try moving the feed around clockwise to see if I can get a better signal on H/V.

Now, you said to also adjust skew for R/L. YOu mean to do that from my Pansat reciver right?

Yes.

Tdti1, so that means that the international feedhorn will affect more the C band but not the Ku right.
I have turn the feed around all the way and can not get it. I noticed I lost signal when moving it around on NSS806, but then I went back to the original position I had it and it works good for NSS806 L/R.

I just can NOT make any C band channels I am able to receive to go high in signal. I can get some KU like in PAS3r I can get the Ku channels at about 75%, but the C band H/V only 30% or less.

Is that normal, that I could get the Ku with no problem with high signal but not the C band H/V?

well, I can track the arc , that is for sure, I can find all sats but when I scan them only some channels appear with LOW signal, especially the C band, Examples:

AMC 12 WHICH is all the way the east for me:
60% maximum

NSS806
EXCELENT, from 85% to 100%

PAS3R
C BAND = hard very hard, I used to get TELETICA with 75% not anymore, now 45% or less moving the dish. Other TP very low 30%
ku BAND = Good, 50 to 75%

PAS1R
Here I get several channels, now at better %, 50 to 75%

THere is also something I think is not right. For channels on H/V it shows the TP twice, once in H and another one on V. One stronger than the other. Is that normal? Is yours the same? I got a new C band LNB and same problem, so for sure I know is not the lnb.

kelleyga said:
well, I can track the arc , that is for sure, I can find all sats but when I scan them only some channels appear with LOW signal, especially the C band, Examples:

AMC 12 WHICH is all the way the east for me:
60% maximum

NSS806
EXCELENT, from 85% to 100%

PAS3R
C BAND = hard very hard, I used to get TELETICA with 75% not anymore, now 45% or less moving the dish. Other TP very low 30%
ku BAND = Good, 50 to 75%

PAS1R
Here I get several channels, now at better %, 50 to 75%

THere is also something I think is not right. For channels on H/V it shows the TP twice, once in H and another one on V. One stronger than the other. Is that normal? Is yours the same? I got a new C band LNB and same problem, so for sure I know is not the lnb.

That sounds like it could be the polarity is off a bit, did you adjust the skew? I had one up on my dish last year to test it out for a buddy of mine, it worked great, I will be putting one up permanent on mine this summer, though I did need to adust the skew for the best quality on each polarity before I scanned, got everything on NSS-806 and other satellites.

Also, you might be tracking but just a bit high or low. What about your focal distance? Degree and db ratings on your C and Ku LNBs? All kinds of things to check.

Hi, thanks.

Well, it is 10 pm here in Tampa and I am in a huge latter 17 foot up, I am just going crazy with this. But , I went up and replace the Wide Feed and re-installed the old one regular Chaparral Corrotor II. Guess what, just hitting AMC 12 I know get it at 100 %. This is good for me because it proves that my focal distance is good and also assures me that I got the feed center. THat is what I used to get before, 100%. BUT with the WideBand feed I only get 45%....:mad:

Man, I do not know what I am doing wrong... All this time I was also thinking my feed was not centered or my focal distance calculation were wrong, but no, it is something else ??????????????????:( :confused:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)