I give up. :confused:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kelleyga

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 13, 2005
I installed my C band system myself reading a lot to understand. I have a 10 feet Dish on a 17 feet pole. I got the dish (free from a house) installed the legs, the new lnbs, scalar ring, etc, etc, etc. I got a Pansat 3500. I had a Ku/C band system. THe system was working great and I even used to realign to try to get the best signal posible. I also use to move the feedhorn to get the best picture and signal. I would align it back in seconds, EASY. Then I wanted to get NSS806 which is a R/L satellite. Then I bought a Wideband feedhorn (Chaparral Corrotor II Ku/C International) to replace the one I had (Chaparral Corrotor II Normal Ku/C). I also wanted to install a DSS lnb to get DirectvLA. Well, I then removed the scalar ring to cut it and insert the DSS lnb. Because It is a 17 pole I did the 2 thing at the same time. Once I did that, I am NOT able to realign perfectly as before. I have done everything, read read read like in the beginning to make sure I am doing it right. I DO NOT know what the problem is, I am completely frustrated I know I am doing it right. So maybe you guys can help me. This is what I have.

Changes introduced:

1) Scalar ring was cut: Put a new one and still same problem
2) Legs were moved when removing scalar ring:
a) I measured the dept = 18 with step in the middle and 19 without step.
b) I measured dish = 10 feet.
c) Moved legs so that focal point was at different places: 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 NO LUCK
d) Moved Feedhorn to .36 .38 .40 .41 using the above Focal Points. NO LUCK
e) Measured the distance from 3 even 4 o 5 o 6 o 7... different points from the edge of the dish to the feed to make sure they were the same using all of C and D setups, NO LUCK.
f) Removed the DSS and used a new Scalar Ring, NO LUCK.
g) Got a new C band lnb, which I thought was bad and NO LUCK.

I am really confused. If I try to get AMC 12 I can find it, and from there I can find ALL of the satellites all the way to SatMex but week signal, 60% when I used to get 80% or 90%. On PAS 3R I was able to hit on Ku almost 95% but on C band only 45 o 50% when I used to get 80%. Now something strange is that on NSS806 I get all channels at a GREAT signal level, 80% to 100%. Even on Int707 and 705 I get great signal which are also L/R satellites. On all the other ones I week week signal and not all channels. I just dont know what is going on

Can it be that this Wideband Chaparral Feedhorn is more for L/R than H/V? Is that what it is and I have been going crazy for 4 weeks?

The only one thing I have not tried is putting back a regular Chaparral Corrotor II H/V.

ANy Ideas????

PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP :confused:

kelleyga said:
I installed my C band system myself reading a lot to understand. I have a 10 feet Dish on a 17 feet pole. I got the dish (free from a house) installed the legs, the new lnbs, scalar ring, etc, etc, etc. I got a Pansat 3500. I had a Ku/C band system. THe system was working great and I even used to realign to try to get the best signal posible. I also use to move the feedhorn to get the best picture and signal. I would align it back in seconds, EASY. Then I wanted to get NSS806 which is a R/L satellite. Then I bought a Wideband feedhorn (Chaparral Corrotor II Ku/C International) to replace the one I had (Chaparral Corrotor II Normal Ku/C). I also wanted to install a DSS lnb to get DirectvLA. Well, I then removed the scalar ring to cut it and insert the DSS lnb. Because It is a 17 pole I did the 2 thing at the same time. Once I did that, I am NOT able to realign perfectly as before. I have done everything, read read read like in the beginning to make sure I am doing it right. I DO NOT know what the problem is, I am completely frustrated I know I am doing it right. So maybe you guys can help me. This is what I have.

Changes introduced:

1) Scalar ring was cut: Put a new one and still same problem
2) Legs were moved when removing scalar ring:
a) I measured the dept = 18 with step in the middle and 19 without step.
b) I measured dish = 10 feet.
c) Moved legs so that focal point was at different places: 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 NO LUCK
d) Moved Feedhorn to .36 .38 .40 .41 using the above Focal Points. NO LUCK
e) Measured the distance from 3 even 4 o 5 o 6 o 7... different points from the edge of the dish to the feed to make sure they were the same using all of C and D setups, NO LUCK.
f) Removed the DSS and used a new Scalar Ring, NO LUCK.
g) Got a new C band lnb, which I thought was bad and NO LUCK.

I am really confused. If I try to get AMC 12 I can find it, and from there I can find ALL of the satellites all the way to SatMex but week signal, 60% when I used to get 80% or 90%. On PAS 3R I was able to hit on Ku almost 95% but on C band only 45 o 50% when I used to get 80%. Now something strange is that on NSS806 I get all channels at a GREAT signal level, 80% to 100%. Even on Int707 and 705 I get great signal which are also L/R satellites. On all the other ones I week week signal and not all channels. I just dont know what is going on

Can it be that this Wideband Chaparral Feedhorn is more for L/R than H/V? Is that what it is and I have been going crazy for 4 weeks?

The only one thing I have not tried is putting back a regular Chaparral Corrotor II H/V.

ANy Ideas????

PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP :confused:

Does this have the dialectric plate ? Have read ir decreases signal on H/V ?

Wyr

No dialectic ring. I dont think so. Here are the specs:

Features

Low Loss Dipole
Adjustable Scalar Ring
Low Level Waveguide Flange with Waterproof Gasket
100% Tested Servo Motor
Polyurethane Powder Coating
Mounts to Single-Pole, Tripod and Quadpod support
Comprehensive Factory Warranty
Specifications
Corotor II Plus and Corotor II Plus Wideband
Specifications
Corotor II Plus and Corotor II Plus Wideband

Part Number Corotor II Plus: 11-5000-62
Corotor II Plus Wideband: 11-7128-62
C-Band Input Frequency Range: 3.7 - 4.2 GHz
(3.4 - 4.2GHz for Wideband)
Ku-Band Input Frequency Range: 11.7 - 12.7 GHz
(10.95 - 12.75GHz for Wideband)
f/D Range: .32 to .45
VSWR: 1.3:1 in both bands
Polarization: Linear; horizontal and vertical
(Circular C-band for Wideband model)
Cross Pol. Isolation: 20 dB or better
RF Ports C-Band: WR 229 compatible
Ku-Band: WR 75 compatible
Power requirements +5 VDC and TTL Logic Pulse
Weight 1.40 Kg

The feed adjustment is crucial with a wideband feed, also the teflon slab is in the feed throat if settup proper you should not really notice a loss in signal.

the teflon slab ? You mean a white plastic inside the feed that is not on a regular Non Wide band?

I did not touch it? Do I need to set up that some way???

You got me lost. Could you explain a little ? Thanks.

kelleyga said:
the teflon slab ? You mean a white plastic inside the feed that is not on a regular Non Wide band?

I did not touch it? Do I need to set up that some way???

You got me lost. Could you explain a little ? Thanks.

Do not touch the slab, if your feed is well centered and at the proper setting for the dish you will need to adjust the feed on your V and H channels by rotating the feed in the scalar ring, if you peak your H and V swing over to the L and R channels adjust the skew if necessary.

OK, I will try moving the feed around clockwise to see if I can get a better signal on H/V.

Now, you said to also adjust skew for R/L. YOu mean to do that from my Pansat reciver right?

kelleyga said:
OK, I will try moving the feed around clockwise to see if I can get a better signal on H/V.

Now, you said to also adjust skew for R/L. YOu mean to do that from my Pansat reciver right?

Yes.

Tdti1, so that means that the international feedhorn will affect more the C band but not the Ku right.
I have turn the feed around all the way and can not get it. I noticed I lost signal when moving it around on NSS806, but then I went back to the original position I had it and it works good for NSS806 L/R.

I just can NOT make any C band channels I am able to receive to go high in signal. I can get some KU like in PAS3r I can get the Ku channels at about 75%, but the C band H/V only 30% or less.

Is that normal, that I could get the Ku with no problem with high signal but not the C band H/V?

well, I can track the arc , that is for sure, I can find all sats but when I scan them only some channels appear with LOW signal, especially the C band, Examples:

AMC 12 WHICH is all the way the east for me:
60% maximum

NSS806
EXCELENT, from 85% to 100%

PAS3R
C BAND = hard very hard, I used to get TELETICA with 75% not anymore, now 45% or less moving the dish. Other TP very low 30%
ku BAND = Good, 50 to 75%

PAS1R
Here I get several channels, now at better %, 50 to 75%

THere is also something I think is not right. For channels on H/V it shows the TP twice, once in H and another one on V. One stronger than the other. Is that normal? Is yours the same? I got a new C band LNB and same problem, so for sure I know is not the lnb.

kelleyga said:
well, I can track the arc , that is for sure, I can find all sats but when I scan them only some channels appear with LOW signal, especially the C band, Examples:

AMC 12 WHICH is all the way the east for me:
60% maximum

NSS806
EXCELENT, from 85% to 100%

PAS3R
C BAND = hard very hard, I used to get TELETICA with 75% not anymore, now 45% or less moving the dish. Other TP very low 30%
ku BAND = Good, 50 to 75%

PAS1R
Here I get several channels, now at better %, 50 to 75%

THere is also something I think is not right. For channels on H/V it shows the TP twice, once in H and another one on V. One stronger than the other. Is that normal? Is yours the same? I got a new C band LNB and same problem, so for sure I know is not the lnb.

That sounds like it could be the polarity is off a bit, did you adjust the skew? I had one up on my dish last year to test it out for a buddy of mine, it worked great, I will be putting one up permanent on mine this summer, though I did need to adust the skew for the best quality on each polarity before I scanned, got everything on NSS-806 and other satellites.

Also, you might be tracking but just a bit high or low. What about your focal distance? Degree and db ratings on your C and Ku LNBs? All kinds of things to check.

Hi, thanks.

Well, it is 10 pm here in Tampa and I am in a huge latter 17 foot up, I am just going crazy with this. But , I went up and replace the Wide Feed and re-installed the old one regular Chaparral Corrotor II. Guess what, just hitting AMC 12 I know get it at 100 %. This is good for me because it proves that my focal distance is good and also assures me that I got the feed center. THat is what I used to get before, 100%. BUT with the WideBand feed I only get 45%....:mad:

Man, I do not know what I am doing wrong... All this time I was also thinking my feed was not centered or my focal distance calculation were wrong, but no, it is something else ??????????????????:( :confused:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts