I got Lucky!!!

e0rbay: I think you still have the numbers wrong. 14 degrees above the LNB arm is probably correct.

But if you've got something that tells you 28 degrees, than it oughta be able to tell you [elevation] degrees. That and a level gives you the tool you need - fuggitabout the dang dish arm angle things.

hehehehe.... simon, the "thing" i have that tells me 28 degrees, is a carpenter square, that i taped a shish-kabob stick to at the 28 degree mark. LOL. hey... whatever works right!!!

anyway... i'll look at 14 degrees instead of the 28. you mentioned though that if you just eyeball it from the middle of the dish, you should be at about the right angle. correct? well... at 28 degrees off the lnb arm... it sure looked to me like it pointed in just about the same spot as when you eyeball from the middle of the dish.

of course, i wear glasses... so my "eyeballs" aren't the sharpest of insturments. LOL.

I think maybe you're missing something here. IGNORE the dish. IGNORE the LNB arm (especially the number I gave - it was only relevant to the other angles for my dish.

Take your square & level and set it for the ELEVATION for your location. Now point it in the correct direction (you can use the LNB arm for that - but remember that a Dish 500 is 9+ degrees "wide" - 4.5+ in each direction from the arm) and eyeball down the stick (while standing near the dish, of course). There's your line to sight to the bird.

Maybe this is what you did, but your reply does not sound that way.

interestingly enough... i got my single LNB yoke for my dish 500 today so i tossed that on and had to repoint the dish. prior to, the lnb was on the 110 side of the yoke, and i was amazed at how much this translated into leftward rotation of the dish when i moved to the single lnb yoke.

so i got it dialed in with the new single lnb yoke, and i damn near clear the tree completely now. instead of being just above those branches... i'm just to the left of them. i even increased the elevation by a degree (which pulled in a better signal) so i'm now even higher above than i was before.

anyway... seems like it turned out okay anyway... so i thought i'd share.

:) You turned the dish (of course), and you may be getting better signal because of centering the LNB vs. the dish face, but if it's on the same pole, it's looking down EXACTLY PRECISELY 100% THE SAME LINE OF SIGHT to the satellite. Think about it.

Now, why? Well, remember the bounce angle thing for elevation? A Dish 500 does the same thing for each LNB. Look at the old Y-arm - the satellite numbers are backwards - 119 is on the left and 110 the right - but when looking south, 119 is to the right of 110. It's a mirror. :) The signals actually cross on the dish face. This is done to get the highest possible area focused for both birds on the smallest surface area.

Anyway, I'm happy it's a rockin' for ya. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)