I got my Roku from dish! Yay...

Symbol

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
Puerto Rico
My roku arrived today in the mail and I was anxious to get it running in order to purchase breaking bad and catch up on season 5. Everything wen't smooth until I tried to purchase the first episode on amazon. "The service is unavailable outside of the United States". -,- (I'm in Puerto Rico)

Is there any way to buy the damn season and watch it on this thing besides using amazon? I know I can watch it on sites online but I really wan't to support the producers and pay for the show.

You guys just can't catch a break.

Tell me about it... At least Isaac managed to close everything down so I don't have to go to work for a while. Started to watch the walking dead on netflix to kill time until the storm hits tomorrow:popcorn

(won't really harm anyone, its passing way south just lots of rain)

Tell me about it... At least Isaac managed to close everything down so I don't have to go to work for a while. Started to watch the walking dead on netflix to kill time until the storm hits tomorrow:popcorn

(won't really harm anyone, its passing way south just lots of rain)

Symbol....is Vieques gonna be ok...and Culebra?

My roku arrived today in the mail and I was anxious to get it running in order to purchase breaking bad and catch up on season 5. Everything wen't smooth until I tried to purchase the first episode on amazon. "The service is unavailable outside of the United States". -,- (I'm in Puerto Rico)

Is there any way to buy the damn season and watch it on this thing besides using amazon? I know I can watch it on sites online but I really wan't to support the producers and pay for the show.

I did not read the entire article or the articles posted on the side, but try this link? http://vpnfreedom.com/netflix/how-to-watch-netflix-outside-the-us/ Some of the information applies whether trying to watch Amazon, Netflix, Hulu Plus or any time you are trying to stream over the Internet from outside the range of US IP addresses.

Also, while it may not address your desire to pay for the season to view it, I have used a software product called PlayOn to stream through my PC to my TV to watch a lot of shows. I do NOT know if this will work for people outside the US set of IP addresses, but if you go to their site, you can probably find that information. If you have a Dish DVR, you can pull up PlayOn right on the DVR under "Menu", "Home Media" once the PlayOn software is installed and running on your PC. The Dish DVR has to be connected to the same network as your PC and to the Internet to stream of course. Good luck!

Last edited:
To purchase video from Amazon and watch it on your Roku you will need three things:

First you will need a router that you can run a VPN connection on.

Second you will need to sign up with a VPN provider. Figure this will cost you around $85 a year.

Third to purchase video from Amazon you will need a credit card that bills in the USA 50. If you are a Prime Member and just want to watch Amazon's free library of video you can skip this step.

I have a 5 MB/s internet connection. My download speed to Miami is on average 3.5 MB/s. (1,150 miles 14 hops ) Running a VPN I normally get around 3.0 MB/s so I have no problem streaming video in very high quality with no buffering. Your results may very depending on the quality of your internet connection and your ISP.

If you want details on my setup PM me.

I would look at using a VPN service which can be as easy to setup as making a DBS server change on the router.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Symbol....is Vieques gonna be ok...and Culebra?

Yeah, its just the government over reacting and shutting everything down until monday. The storm passed and nothing mayor has been reported yet. The public ferry boats to vieques and culebra have been closed due to rough sea conditions.

I wish we were a state.... haha

To purchase video from Amazon and watch it on your Roku you will need three things:

First you will need a router that you can run a VPN connection on.

Second you will need to sign up with a VPN provider. Figure this will cost you around $85 a year.

Third to purchase video from Amazon you will need a credit card that bills in the USA 50. If you are a Prime Member and just want to watch Amazon's free library of video you can skip this step.

I have a 5 MB/s internet connection. My download speed to Miami is on average 3.5 MB/s. (1,150 miles 14 hops ) Running a VPN I normally get around 3.0 MB/s so I have no problem streaming video in very high quality with no buffering. Your results may very depending on the quality of your internet connection and your ISP.

If you want details on my setup PM me.

Wont work, My isp provided me a crappy modem with built in router and my speed is 1.5mbps down so im guessing the vpn would kill it :/

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ you will watch anything as long as its free . This is why Dish rates are getting hard to hold. You could'nt have purchased a Roku for $59?
I am going to start referring to these people as DishVampires!

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ you will watch anything as long as its free . This is why Dish rates are getting hard to hold. You could'nt have purchased a Roku for $59?
I am going to start referring to these people as DishVampires!

I could have but didn't and thank god Dish gave it to me free. If I had paid for it and found out amazon didn't work in PR I would have returned it. Called Dish about it and they told me that they were sorry it didn't work and told me to keep it. I told the rep that I was thankful for the option they tried to give me and that no other company would care for us.

I don't mean to sound ungrateful to dish, but I am actually happy and satisfied with everything dish has been doing for us who lost the AMC channels.

Thats why I'll remain one of their customers for now.

It would be marginal. Netflix and other channels on the Roku will be fine if your speed is consistent. Check your speed both to servers in San Juan and Miami.

If you subscribe to Netflix you might want to go into your account on line and set your download speed to the medium option. If you have the newer model Roku with adaptive streaming you should be able to watch movies and TV from Netflix in SD.

Wicked_Girl said:
I did not read the entire article or the articles posted on the side, but try this link? http://vpnfreedom.com/netflix/how-to-watch-netflix-outside-the-us/ Some of the information applies whether trying to watch Amazon, Netflix, Hulu Plus or any time you are trying to stream over the Internet from outside the range of US IP addresses.

Also, while it may not address your desire to pay for the season to view it, I have used a software product called PlayOn to stream through my PC to my TV to watch a lot of shows. I do NOT know if this will work for people outside the US set of IP addresses, but if you go to their site, you can probably find that information. If you have a Dish DVR, you can pull up PlayOn right on the DVR under "Menu", "Home Media" once the PlayOn software is installed and running on your PC. The Dish DVR has to be connected to the same network as your PC and to the Internet to stream of course. Good luck!

There is a PlayOn app for Roku. $4.95/month fee....they are running a promo for roku owners...lifetome subscription for $39.99 about half normal. Hulu plus is included which also saves anpther monthluy fee.

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROID RAZR Maxx using SatelliteGuys

There is a PlayOn app for Roku. $4.95/month fee....they are running a promo for roku owners...lifetome subscription for $39.99 about half normal. Hulu plus is included which also saves anpther monthluy fee.

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROID RAZR Maxx using SatelliteGuys

http://www.playon.tv/devices/roku

*Does not include Hulu Plus content **Your ISP must support ESPN3.

If he cannot use the Amazon app in Roku, do you think he will be able to use the PlayOn app within the Roku? I was curious about this myself because of how the Roku verifies IP addresses. I suggested the PlayOn PC app because he has ways to get around the IP problem, but with the Roku, it is more difficult? I read some of the VPN solutions, and it seems like the Roku will verify and lock in his non-US IP address, which may cause a problem streaming anything through the Roku.

It is my understanding that all that varies by geographic location with the Rokus is the channel store that you can look at. Roku went to different firmware/channel stores with the roll out in the UK. Prior to then you could buy a Roku anywhere and try to use it anyplace. Now if you buy a Roku in the USA its software is pointed towards the US channel store.

Early on when people were caught in the transition the Roku support staff worked with individual owners and forced a download of the correct geographic software to specific Roku boxes. Roku is no longer willing to do this. If you buy a box in the USA in won't work in the UK or even Canada. It will be pointed towards the USA regardless of the geo location of the IP you sign on with.

Individual channel owners/content providers have their own rules depending on the contracts the have negotiated with the content owners. In July 2011 Netflix negotiated the rights to be able to deliver content to the US Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico and other parts of the Caribbean and Latin America. It was no longer necessary to use a VPN to show an IP in the 50 US States.

Amazon has not expanded it rights to include the US Territories, Puerto Rico, etc.

Once in awhile we do catch a break. For instance I used to be able to live stream EuroNews in English if I was connected using an IP in the Virgin Islands. Switch on my VPN and show an IP in Miami and the programming was no longer available.

Now because of Dish World's contract with Roku live streams of EuroNews are no longer available, but that is a different sad story.

Now because of Dish World's contract with Roku live streams of EuroNews are no longer available, but that is a different sad story.

That's not exactly the story. In particular EuroNews was illegal on Roku, EuroNews does not permit their English language programming in the U.S. online, even from their own site. It was going to end on Roku one way or another. That said, EuroNews is one of our more watched channels on Dish, too bad it isn't more easily obtained even on Dish.

The US VIrgin Islands while being US territories are not considered part of the USA by most or all video suppliers. EuroNews was available using a local IP not available using an IP in any of US states.

Because of the anamoly in what is the US we often get shorted on programming. MLB sold the rights to the ALCS and the World Series to Fox. That was for the 50 states. The Fox channel that Dish provides to the USVI out of Puerto Rico didn't have the rights so no World Series on Dish here.

We also usually don't get the late NFL game on Sunday.

Until video providers begin negotiating rights irrespective of geographic boundaries there will be problems and people using technology to skirt the restrictions.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts