I had to go to work early just to be able to watch the Olympics!

bnl107

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 29, 2004
Allentown, PA
I had to go to work early today just to be able to watch the Olympics!

Another dedicated Voom customer losing patience. I have no network OTA channels available to me. I never have with Voom. That means no ABC, CBS, NBC, or Fox programming. I've had two upgraded antennas, with no luck (antennaweb agrees, no locals available). Since Voom told me up until this morning that I was eligable for the NBC SD feed, I didn't bother to look into other options. So you can imagine my annoyance when I had to go into work early just to watch the US Vollyball game live because I have no NBC coverage at my house. I've tried to be very patient with Voom, but for $108 a month I think I should be able to watch the Olympics. I called my local cable company today and they offer all my locals, all the extended channels, all the movie channels, and 21 HD channels (with HD converter rental) for $124.95 a month. Its a little more expensive, but its worth it to be able to watch what I want, when I want. I'll miss one or two of the Voom exclusives, but I'll trade them for the HDNet and HDSports coverage I'm going to pick up. I really want to stand behind Voom and support them, I like the company and what they are trying to do, but I think I may unfortunately be forced into becoming just another statistic in that overwhelming churn rate.

Yeah, my cable company was the first one in the country, so they have better service than most other cable companies. In all fairness though, the 21 HD channels include 14 that are HD feeds from local stations. They have a monopoly in this area, and they act like it, so I hate the idea of crawling back to them. Still, it is embarrassing after bragging about and sticking up for Voom so much that I have to leave my big screen HDTV and my $108/month satellite service to watch the Olympics or the Simpsons on a crappy 19" TV at work. I wish Voom would just offer my locals over the satellite. I don't even need them to be in HD, or even local for that matter, just give me an SD feed from any CBS, NBC, ABC, and Fox channel and I would be happy. I even checked about just subscribing to my local cable co.'s "basic broadcast" package, but the cheapest they offer is $24.99/month, and that would make it cheaper to just take their complete package than to combine their basic service with Voom. When I signed up for Voom the woman from Installs, Inc. actually called me the day before the scheduled install to warn me that "9 out of 10 people in may area had dropped Voom within the first month because of the complete lack of OTA channels". It's a shame, I bet that there are many other people out there in my same situation who feel forced to leave because there just aren't any other options. I bet if Voom figured something out to solve this problem their churn rate would drop dramatically. I can't really think of any other reasons why so many people signing up for Voom are leaving.

I installed my own OTA antenna

I couldn't get anything with the standard ota antenna VOOM provided. But I don't blame them, I chose where to build my house.

I tried to qualify for networks on D* and E*, my so-called local stations disallowed it because they decided I was in range. VOOM is probably locked to the same data. I'm sure VOOM would love to pump the olympics out to all of us in HD, but NBC is playing a different tune, and we can either dance or sit this one out.

I'm sitting it out. I'll watch it next time, if they get it right.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts