I hate DirecTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Use a heavy duty Rhon antenna tripod that can be had for $25 at Radio Shack. Then, use a piece of a 1-5/8" galvanized fence post that can be had for about $6 at Home Depot.
Since the OP is talking about a behemoth dish, it isn't fair to tease them about using a 1-5/8" mast.

Gotta say Direc tv has been super to me. I have had dish and direc. Direc has bent over backwards anytine there has been a situation.

They are truely- AWESOME!!!!

Appearing to bend over backwards and actually accomplishing something are sometimes 2 different things. I speak from experience.

Since the OP is talking about a behemoth dish, it isn't fair to tease them about using a 1-5/8" mast.

No, the OP was talking about a 5 lnb dish. It's not a behemoth, no matter how many times you post it. Get over it.

It'll be stronger than any 18 gauge 3 foot long tube that DirecTV currently uses. I'd like to see how you know that the force needed to bend a 6 inch long 1-5/8 inch 16 gauge tube is so much less than a three foot long two inch diameter 18 gauge tube?

Basically, the shorter the tube; the stronger it is.....basic engineering and basic horse sense.

If it's not an installer missing appointments, it's an installer showing up and telling you that they cannot install your 5-lnb dish because it's in a bucket on a balcony.

They knew I had a bucket mount and setup the date anyway. It was to be a free install and free equipment upgrade. the guy shows up and says it's against DirecTV policy to install a dish in a bucket.

So I go on ebay and buy the thing for $54.97. It arrives, I mount it on the mast and secure the crap out of it with duct tape (had to fit the smaller mast) and metal strapping for plumbing pipe. That very night we had an 80mph wind storm blowing from the south (we face south) and the dish moved 1/3 of an inch on its axis. That was the only problem I've had in three months and multiple storms.

I called DirecTV today to get a refund or credit for the price of the dish I had to buy myself. Surprisingly.... they were less than excited to help. Apparently you have to buy your own equipment to be able to buy DirecTV signal. When you're the only real player, it's easy to be an ass. This is the most recent in a string of bad experiences with DirecTV.
I think I'm getting a little whif of a troll in this post.

Last edited:
No, the OP was talking about a 5 lnb dish. It's not a behemoth, no matter how many times you post it. Get over it.

Agreed!

It'll be stronger than any 18 gauge 3 foot long tube that DirecTV currently uses. I'd like to see how you know that the force needed to bend a 6 inch long 1-5/8 inch 16 gauge tube is so much less than a three foot long two inch diameter 18 gauge tube.

Basically, the shorter the tube; the stronger it is.....basic engineering and basic horse sense.

It'll be stronger than any 18 gauge 3 foot long tube that DirecTV currently uses. I'd like to see how you know that the force needed to bend a 6 inch long 1-5/8 inch 16 gauge tube is so much less than a three foot long two inch diameter 18 gauge tube?

So I go on ebay and buy the thing for $54.97. It arrives, I mount it on the mast and secure the crap out of it with duct tape (had to fit the smaller mast) and metal strapping for plumbing pipe.

Physics and horse sense are fine, but if you throw in a crapload of ductape and plumbing supplies all of that goes out the window.

You already explained why DirecTV installer would not install it in a bucket. If they did everytime the bucket moves in a storm or whatever they must come to correct for you.

After reading this I was pissed off. I called D to complain, they in turn called my local installer. The D csr 3-wayed me with the local company. She said "they" just recently made it a policy NOT to install in buckets. Mine was installed Jan 31st, this year.

Mine cannot be installed in a bucket because I live across the street from the Gulf of Mexico. And even the smallest tropical storm and the bucket will be knocked over or blown away.

The local company lady said they would look into this and call me back. She hung up and then D operator still did not have an answer about the bucket policy.

Question: When did Directv adopt the no bucket install policy? Logic tells me always for what is stated in your quote above.

Please help!!!:confused:

After reading this I was pissed off. I called D to complain, they in turn called my local installer. The D csr 3-wayed me with the local company. She said "they" just recently made it a policy NOT to install in buckets. Mine was installed Jan 31st, this year.

Mine cannot be installed in a bucket because I live across the street from the Gulf of Mexico. And even the smallest tropical storm and the bucket will be knocked over or blown away.

The local company lady said they would look into this and call me back. She hung up and then D operator still did not have an answer about the bucket policy.

Question: When did Directv adopt the no bucket install policy? Logic tells me always for what is stated in your quote above.

Please help!!!:confused:

On a basic, 18", single/dual LNB dish this is sometimes feasible in certain situations. It is lightweight and has a small surface area compared to the KAKU. The KAKU Slimline Dish (5 LNB) CAN NOT BE MOUNTED IN A BUCKET, and be expected to function properly. It is too big a dish, too heavy, and too sensitive to alignment. It's up to whoever installs it not DirecTv. D* could care less how it gets installed as long as it goes in. Sure they expect subs to follow certain guidelines which for the most part they tend to do, but VERY RARELY does an FOM come inspect a subs work. Maybe they should. I dunno.

Anyway why not mount it on your house?

I pay the monthly fee for the protection plan. So D* does not care that THEY are going to pay every time this summer that a storm comes my way(which is often)? The math does not add up. BTW, and to NO surprise, my local installer, did not contact me. They no-called, no-showed. NOW, no, "I get back to you!" I am at the edges end with "Bruister and Associates."

The point is I paid the dish relo fee, plus the (scam) install fee for my slimline in a bucket.

I will be making a call, again Monday. I did not pay $75++ for a bucket.

BTW...I live in a family/owned/ aptartment/condo building. The best line of site is on the roof. Free of the palm trees and such.

Last edited:
BTW...I live in a family/owned/ aptartment/condo building. The best line of site is on the roof. Free of the palm trees and such.

Did the installer insist that it go in a bucket? If he did he was probably just fishing for the extra money from doing the pole-mount if there was a perfectly good LOS from the roof. I totally disagree with techs who do sh*t like that just to make an extra buck and then screw it up anyway, And I understand why you're mad. The extra info helped understand a little better what was going on. Was this a independant retailer that did this or a subcontractor for DirecTv?

My point on D* not caring how it goes in, not to say they don't care about the quality of the work, they do, and most subs have certain guidelines to follow when they do installations, but DirecTv doesn't really have anyone that goes around and inspects things. Trust me if they did they'd be up every subcontractors ass with a hot-poker. Of the few FOM's (field operations manager) that do go around and see how certain areas are doing, see how the work is being done, if they see something they don't like, most of the time they have the power to make that sub either fix it, change how it is being done or that sub will lose their work to an AFS. (outside contractor that comes in and does the work until the primary contractor gets their act together.)

I dont actually love or hate them.
I think they put out a good product, and I enjoy it.

In America, if you don't do business with any company that upset you at one point, you wouldn't be doing business with anyone.

"I'll never eat at Chili's again!"

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)