I have a friend interested in upgrading to HD

Lkr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
I got a friend with SD E* and he has been a customer for 6 years. I don't think he is under a contract because he moved 3 years ago and that was the last time he has done anything with the account. He wants to upgrade to HD and stay with E*, but will they charge him to upgrade to an HD DVR, a new dish, and the programming?

ok. he is also on older hardware, so I know for a fact they'll have to replace something.

I have been trying to help my dad with this and all they will do is replace his receivers for free, but want a 95.00 fee to come out and do it. It's total BS because if he were new they would do it for free, but since he has been with them for 5 or so years he has to pay. That directv promo is looking great right about now!

it depends on who you are as a customer, how you've paid your bill, etc. the answer will be different for every customer. some will get the upgrade for free, some pay a little, others a lot. only thing your friend can do is call.

s10zr2 said:
I have been trying to help my dad with this and all they will do is replace his receivers for free, but want a 95.00 fee to come out and do it. It's total BS because if he were new they would do it for free, but since he has been with them for 5 or so years he has to pay. That directv promo is looking great right about now!

Have you seen if they will do it for free or for $15 if he signs up for the protection plan? Worst case scenario if he signs up, pays $15 for them to come out plus $5.99 for one month and cancels and pays $25 it would be a net cost of about $46.

It cost me $115 to upgrade from a 625 DVR to a 722K. This includes signing up for the protection plan, new dish at different location to hit the 129 satellite, and signing up for CC autopay to get HD "free."

It cost me $115 to upgrade from a 625 DVR to a 722K. This includes signing up for the protection plan, new dish at different location to hit the 129 satellite, and signing up for CC autopay to get HD "free."
This just goes to show you It is all over the board. It should be a simple thing. All I want is for them to give me the receivers and I will send his back. I have already installed a 1000.2 a long time ago when his 500 went out. I guess they feel people can't do this.

Have you seen if they will do it for free or for $15 if he signs up for the protection plan? Worst case scenario if he signs up, pays $15 for them to come out plus $5.99 for one month and cancels and pays $25 it would be a net cost of about $46.
So they now charge 25.00 to cancel the protection plan? Seems like they charge to do anything anymore. Yeah there price is a little cheaper, but they get you if you change anything on your account with the charges.

So they now charge 25.00 to cancel the protection plan? Seems like they charge to do anything anymore. Yeah there price is a little cheaper, but they get you if you change anything on your account with the charges.

When the whole world figured out that you could subscribe to the protection plan today, get your problem fixed and then cancel the next day they decided to make it a bit more expensive to do that. I can't say that I blame them....

Escalate

OP, have you tried escalating to the next level of customer service reps? The first ones to answer the phones do not have authority to provide any deals aside from what is advertised. If you go to the next level or higher, remind them you're a good customer for x years, they may waive both the fee for the visit and the receiver upgrade fee, though the $10 or $17 monthly receiver fees will be on the bill.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts