i have a question about ota

No_Brains

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 28, 2007
Princeton, WV
first of all i dont know if this is where i need to be..
but this about the digital conversion.. i dont have a good signal at all where i am to pick up the channels with an antenna
where ii am i can listen to my NBC channel wvva via radio on 87.7 here in bluefield, wv
so after the digital conversion does this mean that i will not be able to do that either.. i hope that i said this good enough for help and put it in the right place
thanks for any help

That's right, you'll no longer be able to receive channel 6 on an import FM radio. (Or any FM radio for that matter, including those old portables that have weather band, TV band, police band, and whatnot.)

But it won't pick up the audio from TV channel 6, because it won't be FM anymore.

Why not? If the station has paid for an FM freq to rebroadcast its audio it will work just fine. We have a station here that does that as well, they have bought an FM channel and use it to rebroadcast their station over the radio waves. It will work the same as it did before. The only thing changing to digital is their UHF/VHF broadcast, their FM broadcast will remain the same. At least they are not required to change it.

Well if they're simulcasting on an FM channel, sure it'll still work.

But 87.7 isn't a U.S. FM channel, not even a Travellers Information Service one as far as I know. It is, however, approximately the audio carrier frequency of U.S. TV channel 6, which is the channel that WVVA, which the original poster asked about, is on. Some radios go down there, not so much to let people listen to channel 6, but because somewhere, maybe Japan, has a few FM channels lower than the American ones.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)