I have another question...

Patchen

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
I posted a question earlier about an install. I have another question, will dish install a super dish, and still use my originally installed dish? I can't get both signals from the super dish, in one location. There's a massive tree in the middle of my yard. I have a great signal for my original channels, but I need a super dish 121 for my locals, which is a completely different direction. If they'll leave my original install for the original channels, and install the super dish for my locals, I'll be set. But will dish do that?

Patchen said:
I posted a question earlier about an install. I have another question, will dish install a super dish, and still use my originally installed dish? I can't get both signals from the super dish, in one location. There's a massive tree in the middle of my yard. I have a great signal for my original channels, but I need a super dish 121 for my locals, which is a completely different direction. If they'll leave my original install for the original channels, and install the super dish for my locals, I'll be set. But will dish do that?

Sure they will. Just make sure you tell the installer the details. He can simply not use the 110/119 connections from the SuperDISH and only use the 121 connection. The DISH500 connections and the 121 connection from the SuperDISH will all be plugged into the switch.

One thing to note is that 121 is only 2 degrees from 119 so it's not a "completely different direction."

"Sure they will. Just make sure you tell the installer the details. He can simply not use the 110/119 connections from the SuperDISH and only use the 121 connection. The DISH500 connections and the 121 connection from the SuperDISH will all be plugged into the switch.

One thing to note is that 121 is only 2 degrees from 119 so it's not a "completely different direction."

I guess this is why I'm confused. When the tech was at my house on Saturday, he pointed due west for the satellite, well actually he told me 264. You'll have to excuse my ignorance, I'm confused by all of this.

I understand this will have to be brought down into a switch. But the tech stood on my roof, and said the tree is in the way and we can't get super dish until it's removed. When I asked why he told me the Anzamath (spelling) Angle was 264 degrees and the elevation was 7. He'd might as well spoke to me in french, because I have no idea what that means. I'm guessing that the angle is the direction of the dish, which 264, is 6 degrees off of due west.

My problem is on my roof current location, there's no way to set the superdish, the big tree is in the way, according to the tech. But if the super dish was mounted on a pole in the side yard, it's all clear sky to the west. But then the 110/119 stuff is blocked by the same tree.

I'd like to be able to get my locals without cutting down an 90 year old tree that is over 70 feet tall. The tech who came to my house had way better things to do, then address the issues I had. If I can't have the super dish until I cut down this tree, that's something I'll have to address later. I was just looking for a solution to my whole situation.

I'm really confused and looking for help.

------------------

I'm not sure if this will help or not, Azimuth is 235 Elevation 30 Skew 123 on my current settings. Input 1 Ports 1 -119 ok, and 2, 110 ok.

Might I suggest another installer? One that actually knows the -bleep- what he's talking about?

kavula said:
Might I suggest another installer? One that actually knows the -bleep- what he's talking about?
What kavula said. :)

If you've got 110/119 now, 121 is NOT likely to be a problem, and if you're happy with a pole mount where you know you have a LONG clear line of sight, that's cool.

An elevation of 7 is VERY low. Where are you, Bermuda?

Any it means 7 degrees above the horizon.

SimpleSimon said:
An elevation of 7 is VERY low. Where are you, Bermuda?

Any it means 7 degrees above the horizon.

Is that even possible to see? And if his locals are on 121, the satellite to be used shouldn't be sitting that low on the horizon. That's like putting Hawaii's locals on 61.5. Doesn't do much good if no one in the area can even see the satellite.

I really appreciate all of the help. I have another installer coming tomorrow morning, unfortunately it's from the same company. But I told them (Dish) if it was the company they sent the first time, it had better be a manager this time and not to waste our time.

If my locals are only 2 degrees away from my 119, why in the heck did this idiot point due west? The really stupid part of this whole situation, my older brother was suppose to have an install by the same company last Saturday. Amazingly enough, "Matt" the installer that was at my house, was suppose to go to my brother's next. But he had a family emergency and had to go home instead.

There's no way seven degrees above elevation is possible, which only furthers my thought this guy was a jack-asp, I live in the middle of the Allegheny mountains, and I'm surronded by hills.

There is something wrong here Dish would not put your locals at a satellite with a 7 degree elevation. What is your zip code so I can give you the proper settings. I checked zip codes for NY 11050 EL 23 and WV 26847 EL 28 and DC 20018 EL 26 are you sure he didn't say 27 degrees becuase DC is 247 degrees southwest with an elevation of 27 degrees and your skew would be 130. and the farther south you go the higher the elevation.

Okay.

My zipcode is 16365-3333, we're trying to get the Erie Local Channels. I live in Warren PA which is a town with about 15000 in the entire county.

I didn't talk to the installer personally on Saturday, my wife did, and she wrote the numbers down that he gave her. She was told Az setting of 264 and elevation 7. I doubled checked the note this morning after I read the posts about how low that is.

My original settings are this Azimuth: 235, Elevation 30, Skew 123. I don't see that much difference between my originals and those.

What does each number mean? I understand Elevation. What is Azimuth and Skew?

Thanks again for all of your help, you guys are great!

Azimuth is the compass direction the dish is pointing.
Skew is the amount of horizontal rotation or tilt applied to the dish to allow it to see all three satellites.

You'll have to excuse my ignorance again, but how can 7 degrees difference be changed into due west? This tree that's in question is on the west side of my house, and when he pointed too it, he said the dish has to point this way. Honestly when the sun goes down over my yard it goes directly behind this tree.

So basically what I think I ran into last Saturday was a tech who didn't want to work. It was saturday afternoon and he wanted to go home on the nice day.

If dish is going to employee and sublet to these people, they should be accountable for their actions.

Anyways, I really appreciate your help with this. I'll post tomorrow after the second installer, who is supposedly a manager comes to my house for the super dish.

You folks have been great, and I'm going to recommend everyone I know who has dish questions or any tv related questions to this site.

So, again, we're looking at a "decent" elevation (27 - I've got two of them in that range - one for 61.5 and the other is 148), and adding a bird that is only 2 degrees away from what you already have (119).

I anticipate no problems.

I just climbed on my roof with a compass, 242 is directly down the middle of my yard, and the only trees in that direction at the end of the yard about 100 yards away. The big tree in question is a full 20 degrees away from 242, I stood on my roof and estimated. Obviously that's not a perfect measurement, but by eyeing it up the main part of the tree is due west 270, the last branch is about 260.

Using the installer's azimuth (264) the tree would be in the way. Using the correct azimuth (242) the tree is no where close. How this guy got to be an installer, I'll never know.

OK - as I said, you should be fine - unless the trees are 150 feet high.

General note on distance to clear obstacles:

An elevation of 45 requires 1:1. That is, to clear a 50 foot obstacle, you need to be 50 feet away.

Elevation of 22.5 requires 1:2. 50 foot height requires 100 foot horizontal distance.

I just spoke to the installation company, they'll be here tomorrow from 8-12 am.

The way I'm looking at this now, if they want to go with 264, they're going to have to pole mount the dish in my side yard. If they want to go with the correct setting, it will go on my roof.

I will post what I'm told tomorrow when they are here.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate all of your help, you folks are fantastic.

I know you're going to find this hard to believe, the super dish is being installed as I type at my house with no problems.

That's not so hard to believe. The fact that the 1st guy who came out was a satellite installer. Now that's hard to believe.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts