I have more Hopper 3 questions

smokey982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Cleveland, TN (Chattanooga Market)
Yes, I'm sure these questions have already been addressed in some of the many Hopper 3 post. But please no flaming. I've honestly tried reading through some of them. But there's just so darn many to sift through.
But I currently have 2 HWS and (3) 1.0 Joey's. What is the general cost to upgrade? I know some of it's based on credit standing. But I'm pretty sure I've read anywhere from free to $350. Does the upgrade cost vary depending on if you need the newer 2.0 joey's or not? If it makes a difference, I do have the protection plan.
I also read somewhere that dish had a way to connect a HWS to the new Hopper 3 to move all DVR programs over without using an EHD. Is that correct? If so, would I be able to connect and move programs from both of my HWS's to the new hopper?
Lastly, is there any new or change in wiring for the new hopper? Or is the LNB the only thing that needs changing?

If you plan on upgrading to the Hopper 3 you would end up going with a Hopper 3 and three Joey 2 receivers. The upgrade is most likely going to be free for you and that includes the Joeys.

You can transfer recordings to an EHD or it's possible you can transfer from your current Hopper to the new one by connecting them with an ethernet cable. This is a slower process though.

The wiring is different but it's an improvement. The Hopper 3 only requires one cable from the LNB. You are all set already and shouldn't require anything extra. The tech will swap out the LNB and put in a Solo Hub in place of the Node.

Has anyone tried using the Ethernet cable from hopper to hopper? I wonder how long it would take to transfer 600GB from one to another? Can you use the DVR to record on the 3 while it's being transferred?
Considering the H3 hasn't been released yet, the only people who can answer this question, can't. All we know at this point is that it might take days, literally....

Reactions: JSheridan
Plenty of EHDs can be bought for around a hundred bucks. Save time and aggravation.

Buy a usb3.0 EHD. The speed it transfers to that(remember the HWS is usb2.0) is probably the same speed.

I actually have an EHD that I've had for years. But it's almost full from movies I've recorded. I just hesitant to spend $100 just for a temporary transfer. Especially if it can be done for free with Ethernet.
I have heard you can do a Ethernet transfer if you have time to do it.If you own your equipment remember if you lease they will take it with them after install.

I actually have an EHD that I've had for years. But it's almost full from movies I've recorded. I just hesitant to spend $100 just for a temporary transfer. Especially if it can be done for free with Ethernet.
Remember that you are going from 2 HWS each with a 2TB disk to a single H3 with a single 2 TB disk. If each of your current HWS hovers near or over 50%, you can use the new disk to keep from overloading and losing shows from the H3.

Remember that you are going from 2 HWS each with a 2TB disk to a single H3 with a single 2 TB disk. If each of your current HWS hovers near or over 50%, you can use the new disk to keep from overloading and losing shows from the H3.
I don't have nearly that much on the 2nd hopper. But that's a good point. I can justify another EHD a little better based on that information.
That leads me to another issue I'm not crazy about. I'm not sure how excited I'll be seeing all of the shows my wife and daughter record on my DVR. I currently record all my shows on 1 Hopper and my wife and daughter record their shows on the other. They don't record nearly as much as I do. But it's nice not having to dig through their garbage.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I don't have nearly that much on the 2nd hopper. But that's a good point. I can justify another EHD a little better based on that information.
That leads me to another issue I'm not crazy about. I'm not sure how excited I'll be seeing all of the shows my wife and daughter record on my DVR. I currently record all my shows on 1 Hopper and my wife and daughter record their shows on the other. They don't record nearly as much as I do. But it's nice not having to dig through their garbage.
You will miss not having a second Hopper 3.

Maybe the new UI will sport a feature "who's recording". Probably just wishful thinking.

That's an idea. Although I've never used folders. Is it possible to create a folder for each family member. And then designate every show recorded to a specific folder?
You can do that today when you create the timer

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Sorry for very Hard Follow up questions to add to this thread, I am thinking I will sign up to upgrade first thing Monday using this sties list.
-
(yes I spent about 20 mins searching other threads , sites for the answers, I get conflicting confusing results, I am not sure so hope its OK to ask here, Sat Guys are the smartest and I know someone can help)
-
1. I do not have the warranty plan, how much will they charge me to install the new LNB and Switch?
-
2. Should I sign up for the warranty plan before I upgrade to get a discount?
-
3. I am one year into my Two You contract since I last upgraded to TWO Hoppers WS and one Joey 1.0, Will I have to sign a new contract? Will it be Two more years from the date of the Hopper 3 install?
-
4. I am not getting and Discounts or Price Locks, if I do a new Two you should I even ask? Long time customer, never late, auto pay.
-
5. Is it worth future proofing my install and getting one Hopper 4K , are the $50 extra? I dont have 4 K yet
-
6. What Will my new HardWare Bill be under a Hopper 3? Is this close? Does it really go down in price for each month? Do all DVR fees go up next month from 12 to 15?
-
CURRENT
HopperWS #1 free
HopperWS #2 $12 (does this go up this year?)
Joey 1.0 $7
DRV Service $12 (does this go up this year?)
===============
$31
-
New Pricing
Hopper 3 free
Joey 2.0 $7
Joey 2.0 $7
DRV Service $15
================
$29

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)