I have no loyalty to Sirius/xm

Claude Greiner

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Detroit - The Paris of the Midwest
I only listen to Fox News, the 80's channel, and listed to my local MLB Baseball team only because the score shows on my radio.

Other than that, I cannot justify the $20 per month they want for a regular subscription.

I'm just tired of playing games with them every 3-6 months to get discounts.

The service is only worth about $5-$7 per month period.

One radio is on a lifetime so no issue with that one. The other I let cancel at the end of the free period with the car. A few months ago they sent a $25 for 6 months offer so I took them up. The day before it was due to expire I called and told them to cancel. They first came back with $100 for a year, nope give me the same deal I just had or cancel, they gave me the deal. If they don't give it to me once this term is up it's cancelled.

Yeah, I drive about 5K miles a year with only about 2K of that a road trip. So spending a bunch of money for noise in the car I seldom even pay attention to is just ridiculous!

I looked at their 'bargain' bin subscriptions in the other thread and they don't fit the bill either. My car is in the trial period until the middle of September and so far no offers have been made.

Lloyd from the Pixel

Yeah, I drive about 5K miles a year with only about 2K of that a road trip. So spending a bunch of money for noise in the car I seldom even pay attention to is just ridiculous!

I looked at their 'bargain' bin subscriptions in the other thread and they don't fit the bill either. My car is in the trial period until the middle of September and so far no offers have been made.

Lloyd from the Pixel

Do you have a USB port? Those little drives can carry alot of music

I bring my iPad in the car. I bluetooth all of my music to the car radio. It sounds a hell of a lot better that Sirius/XM and I get to choose the sounds that I want to hear without a DJ telling how great he is... :D

Do you have a USB port? Those little drives can carry alot of music

Yes it does and I've used my phone to play music at times. But usually on a road trip I listen to talk radio so I can shout at the idiocy being spewed by the right and left wing yakkers!! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes it does and I've used my phone to play music at times. But usually on a road trip I listen to talk radio so I can shout at the idiocy being spewed by the right and left wing yakkers!! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sounds like an invitation to road rage! :)

I get the 6month deal for $50. I create a calendar reminder a few days before my deal expires to call and cancel. The first offer the 1 year deal then they will offer the 6month deal. Its worth the $8.33 \month.

Reactions: jegrant
The thing that pisses me off is that I forget to cancel and then they try to hit me up for 2-3 months at full price before they will give me the $50 plan again.

I'm at the point now I tell them I bought the car used, give fake name, fake address, fake phone number and fake prepaid credit card and Just build a new account to avoid paying the back balance.

So dumb I have to play games.

I never will pay them full price.

I would stream what I want on my phone, but it would probably cost me more in LTE data

I luckily checked the website today. Was about to get hit for regular family pricing on two in vehicle radios. Got the usual $25 for six months on both. Claude you're right. It isn't worth much more than $5/mo. Sound quality has deteriorated so much. Told the rep that after she offered a year for $99. Told her i wanted the $25 offer again and she obliged.

i dropped it when they started charging to stream the channels, i used to have 2 devices with xm.

it all went to hell after the merger

Since I got T-Mobile with Music Freedom (unlimited music from most streaming apps that doesn't use my data plan) I am considering dropping SXM. Plus my commute is going to get much shorter fairly soon.

i dropped it when they started charging to stream the channels, i used to have 2 devices with xm.

it all went to hell after the merger

They are better than ever with more subscribers than at anytime, more than when the two were separate, as many or more subscribers than DISH and DIRECTV combined. And all you had to do was ask for free streaming with two devices or more when they started charging. They even had it on their web page FREE streaming - you clicked it and got the details. To this day I get free streaming. This is no different than other providers, don't ask then you pay the full amount.

Since I got T-Mobile with Music Freedom (unlimited music from most streaming apps that doesn't use my data plan) I am considering dropping SXM. Plus my commute is going to get much shorter fairly soon.

That makes sense for you if you really only use it for music and are not traveling much, We get tons of use out of SiriusXM we don't have free streaming of music and we travel quite often. But having the sports is a big deal for me also along with the data it provides to my car's maps.

That makes sense for you if you really only use it for music and are not traveling much, We get tons of use out of SiriusXM we don't have free streaming of music and we travel quite often. But having the sports is a big deal for me also along with the data it provides to my car's maps.

In Des Moines, local radio is awful, especially no jazz at all. And once you get out of the city, radio is even worse. So I enjoy Sirius/XM for the variety of music, plus the sports, especially the play-by-play. I did drop the other radios I used to have -- my daughter and wife didn't use it -- and I downloaded the app to my tablet, which I plug into my home stereo system. So I'll have to look at my next bill and see whether I'm overpaying. But for now it seems like a good deal for me.

Reactions: Tampa8
I don't do sports, and my car doesn't have the maps/traffic function, so yeah it's mainly music for me. The only other thing is I do like the live BBC, CBC news, etc. But you can stream most of that online.

I listen to only SiriusXm. I drive about 35-40K a year for work. When at home I stream via my phone or iPad.. It's well worth it to me because no surfing to find new channels when doing 3 hours drives. I listen to a lot different channels. My new company vehicle came equipment with 3 years of Sirius, I also have a second radio in my regular vehicle which is SiriusXm. I wish my Ford Edge had SXM to get SXM Turbo, but instead I will stream it from time to time,

In Des Moines, local radio is awful, especially no jazz at all. And once you get out of the city, radio is even worse. So I enjoy Sirius/XM for the variety of music, plus the sports, especially the play-by-play. I did drop the other radios I used to have -- my daughter and wife didn't use it -- and I downloaded the app to my tablet, which I plug into my home stereo system. So I'll have to look at my next bill and see whether I'm overpaying. But for now it seems like a good deal for me.

I drive from Minesota to Des Moines frequently and I hear you on the local garbage radio.

It's truly amazing to me that the inept marketing of Sirus-XM hasn't put them "under" yet....They're on the track of the big terrestrial boys who are crying "near bankruptcy"......if they continue down this road...

There is NO way when a complimentary renewal on a new car comes up, and they offer it (as they did to me) at $5/mo that they can begin to touch the royalty fees they are paying! Since they cannot measure who is listening "when"...they must be paying based on total subscribers. The business model of "please renew, we'll give it to you CHEAP" which many of you describe on this site, and the offers I've received (two in a week) suggest the image of a company saying, "we NEED subs"....If I went out and sold commercials with the attitude this company has, I'd have been off the air and gone years ago. It's begging, plain and simple, disguised as a "deal." They DE-VALUE THEMSELVES with the cheap offers.

On top of that, in a 2015 Jeep, the quality of the stream to my radio from their satellite on most channels is awful, our AM STEREO sounds better and cleaner without the mp3-sh "ringing" which comes from my speakers, reminding me of a low bandwidth internet stream.

Don't care anymore if they live or die, but the image certainly isn't a good one given quality of service and the way they try to retain customers as described here and in the mail. When the companies were separate, I had XM the day the satellite lit the northern part of the country. Service and sound were excellent. Back then, however I also drove 130 miles a day round trip for work. Even "free" in my 2015 car with purchase I've not found a channel enticing enough to set a preset-for based on the factors already mentioned.

Reactions: Blindowl1234

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)