I have problems in finding 97 IA-5 (Galaxy 19 Ku)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ben.ben

Original poster
Nov 19, 2010
Arizona
Hi Folks,

Yes, another newbie! :D

I have a 30inch Dish, a universal linear 3dB LNBF, and a coolsat 6000 premium that I got from a friend. I am trying to find IA-5 at 97w since as I have read it has a lot of FTA channels. I used dishpointer.com to find the Dish Setup Data for my location. Here is the info it lists me:

Your Location

Latitude: 33.4079°
Longitude: -111.9603°

Dish Setup Data:
Elevation: 47.9°
Azimuth (true): 154.1°
Azimuth (magn.): 143.1°
LNB Skew [?]: -21.4°

I used these coordination to approximately point the dish to satellite, and then use one of those small satellite finder meters to locate the dish precisely. The knob on meter can rotate 270 degrees, and after adjusting the dish to the best direction it was beeping very loudly until 200 degrees. BUT when I choose IA-5 from satellite list in my reviver it shows 98% signal, but less than 10% quality!

Here is the info I provided for reviver:

97.0w IA-5
lnb power on
lnb type universal
lnb freq: 9.750/10.750
22kHz auto
DisEqc Switch off
Legacy SW off

Blind Scan

TP 10.700-12900
SR Full
Pol ALL
MODE ALL

I did a blind spot search and it could find about 500 Channels, mostly on IA-5, but there was no Free channel, all are scrambled. During the scan I could see that it skipped some frequencies since the quality was low, but there were a lot of high quality channels like 90%!

Do you have any idea where is the problem?
And by the way, http://www.dishpointer.com/ says me skew the lnb 24.7 degrees clockwise. Should I do that? I played with the skew, and my meter was showing highest signal when the skew was zero.... So I just left the lnbf there.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
If the LNB is truly a Universal then it needs to be changed to LNB Freq 9750/10600. You will also need to skew the LNB. I get the same info as you originally got (21 skew) so if you are standing in front of the dish facing it, turn the LNB clockwise a little bit. This is critical.

Best thing to do is use the blind scan if you dont know where you are. Scan "ALL" so it shows any channel you pick up. Then match it with either thelist (at the top of the page) or Lyngsat

ben.ben,

It is easy to add TPs to your 97.0° satellite list with the 6000 Coolsat. Try adding these two TPs to search out a signal from:

12022 VERTICAL SR 22000 FEC 3/4
12090 HORIZONTAL SR 20000 FEC 3/4

Before you do anything, make sure you correct your LNBF frequency settings as Iceberg mentioned (9750/10600) for a Universal LNBF.
Then ensure and correct your skew (or polarization angle) of the LNBF.

RADAR

Manual scan on Coolsat 6000

I use my Coolsat 6000 for aligning dishes right out in the field by the dish. Those cheap little signal beeper things are pretty useless in my experience. They are good for finding any and all signals, but useless for finding the particular signal you want.

The latest true FTA software for the Coolsat 6000 has a signal beeper function that helps a lot. You can get it here: FTAFirmware for Coolsat

Take the receiver and a small tv/monitor out to your dish. Connect it directly to the LNB with a short length of coax. Make sure your LNB type/frequency is set correctly, as explained above. There should be a label on the LNB.

Go to the "Manual Scan" screen and choose your satellite: Galaxy 19 Ku @ 97w.

Select one of the transponders that are suggested above, and turn the volume on the Coolsat and your TV up enough that you can hear the beeper. Set your skew as explained above. Make sure your mounting pole is plumb, and set your dish elevation with the scale on the dish mount.

Now, very slowly sweep the dish across that portion of the sky where your compass tells you your sat is located. When the beeper sings out, you have found it. Peak your signal using the Quality scale on the screen. It may be necessary to make small adjustments to the elevation, but the skew is best carefully set and left alone in my experience.

That's about it.

Last edited:
what is the make and model number of your LNB?

it is impossible for anybody to tell you what settings to use unless we know that info first....

without the proper frequency setting you will get nothing....

another important question....what TP are you selecting while aiming?

Thanks a lot guys for your replys.... I really appreciate them...

First of all, let me correct my mistake. I read the label on my LNBF and it says "Standard Linear LNBF". So it is standard, not universal. Here is the info on the label:

ROC
standard linear single lnbf
Model css11g

L.F: 11.7GH~ 12.75GH
L.O: 10.75 GHz
Noise 0.3 dB

Also I adjusted the skew at 21 degrees.

Here is the funny part: After adjusting everything and aiming at 97W, I returned back to my receiver and manually selected 97W IA-5 and selected LNBF type as single and frequency 10,750. I could find no channel from IA-5! But during playing with receiver and manually selecting other satellites, I discovered I could get a very good quality from 22W NSS-7, when I choose my LNBF type as universal!!! Theoretically, I guess I should not be able to recive any signal from 22W, since DishPointer.com says "elevation -8.5 degrees".
Does anyone have any idea what is happening? I am aiming at 97W, but instead I get 22W!!!!

Thanks

you need to set your LNB type as "standard" or "single"....set LNB freq to 10750....select an active transponder....then aim your dish....

Does anyone have any idea what is happening? I am aiming at 97W, but instead I get 22W!!!!
Thanks

Unless you have a motor, the receiver doesn't care what satellite you think you're pointing at. All that matters is that when you use the receiver's signal meter, you have the parameters for an active transponder on that satellite entered. Or, if you do a blind scan, it will add whatever transponders and channels it finds to the list for whatever satellite you have selected, regardless of whether it's actually that satellite.

If you tell us what channels you're getting when you do a blind scan, we can certainly tell you what satellite you're aimed at. You're probably just a few degrees off, if you've done a good job setting the angles.

you need to set your LNB type as "standard" or "single"....set LNB freq to 10750....select an active transponder....then aim your dish....

Sorry for stupid question, but when I am using a satellite finder meter, is there a difference between selecting an active transponder and then aiming dish, or aiming dish and then selecting the transponder?

Unless you have a motor, the receiver doesn't care what satellite you think you're pointing at. All that matters is that when you use the receiver's signal meter, you have the parameters for an active transponder on that satellite entered. Or, if you do a blind scan, it will add whatever transponders and channels it finds to the list for whatever satellite you have selected, regardless of whether it's actually that satellite.

If you tell us what channels you're getting when you do a blind scan, we can certainly tell you what satellite you're aimed at. You're probably just a few degrees off, if you've done a good job setting the angles.
Well, all of the channels are from 22W NSS, since the receiver says it in info bar, when I select the channel.

I use my Coolsat 6000 for aligning dishes right out in the field by the dish. Those cheap little signal beeper things are pretty useless in my experience. They are good for finding any and all signals, but useless for finding the particular signal you want.

The latest true FTA software for the Coolsat 6000 has a signal beeper function that helps a lot. You can get it here: FTAFirmware for Coolsat

Take the receiver and a small tv/monitor out to your dish. Connect it directly to the LNB with a short length of coax. Make sure your LNB type/frequency is set correctly, as explained above. There should be a label on the LNB.

Go to the "Manual Scan" screen and choose your satellite: Galaxy 19 Ku @ 97w.

Select one of the transponders that are suggested above, and turn the volume on the Coolsat and your TV up enough that you can hear the beeper. Set your skew as explained above. Make sure your mounting pole is plumb, and set your dish elevation with the scale on the dish mount.

Now, very slowly sweep the dish across that portion of the sky where your compass tells you your sat is located. When the beeper sings out, you have found it. Peak your signal using the Quality scale on the screen. It may be necessary to make small adjustments to the elevation, but the skew is best carefully set and left alone in my experience.

That's about it.
Thanks for the tip about the beeping software, it really can help. I downloaded it, but I need to wait to recive my RS 232C cable that I just ordered.

Sorry for stupid question, but when I am using a satellite finder meter, is there a difference between selecting an active transponder and then aiming dish, or aiming dish and then selecting the transponder?

The active transponder is what will help you find the satellite when using the receiver as your satellite finder - it won't make any difference when using a satellite finder alone to find the satellite.
Bob

Well, all of the channels are from 22W NSS, since the receiver says it in info bar, when I select the channel.

Some receivers will extract the satellite name from the broadcast data, many will not. (There is also the possibility that the transponder is broadcasting the wrong name -- I could show you many that claim to be 19 degrees EAST, because apparently that's what the broadcast equipment is set to by default.) Are you sure it's not just displaying what satellite is selected in the channel list?

If you were really pointed at 22W, the dish wouldn't look like it was pointing anywhere in the vicinity of 97W, plus it's probably below the horizon from Arizona, plus I don't think it broadcasts any full-time channels to the U.S. at all.

Again, what are the names of the channels it's receiving?

I will also add that 22W NSS7 only has a couple occasional active feeds beamed at
the U.S. I highly doubt that is what you are hitting. If you are pointing near 97W
You can select any Satellite in your list and if it has a transponder that is the same
as an active one on 97W, it will lock it. The reciever knows no difference.

You guys rock, thanks a lot guys. Sorry for late update.. I was waiting for the cable to update the firmware with new beeping one. After updating the firmware and using the TV, I could find the Galaxy 19 in just 30 seconds! Yes, satellite finder is just garbage.....

I have more than 200 free channels now. But most of them are Arabic, Persian, Thai, or other languages that I have had no idea about them. I have heard that Galaxy 19 is something like Hotbird... I used to watch hotbird since it has tons of free good Europian channels... But well, Galaxy 19 is not as nice as Hotbird.. I hope we could get it in US!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Spitfire Elite LNBF Failures

motorized ku system problem

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)