I hope I didn't make a big mistake

bigbyrd4

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 15, 2007
St. George, SC
Two weeks ago my 722 bit the dust. Yesterday, two Dish Techs came out to install a Hopper in the man cave. When they got there they said they were installing a Hopper and two Joeys and I told them it was just going to be one Hopper. They were, also, supposed to put in a new dish since we are getting a new roof and the old one is on the roof.

The techs were very good at their job. They looked at the existing cabling and came upstairs to the man cave and put in the Hopper. Then things went somewhat awry. I did not know that we had to go all Hopper and no 722. She who must be obeyed, hereafter known as the boss, has a SD TV in the den with a 722 on it and she watches TV upstairs in the bedroom off of that DVR. When they told me it had to be all Hopper, i was cool with it. They installed a Joey in the den and one in the bedroom. My son is living with us now and he wanted to get Dish in his room so they put another Joey in his room. OK so far.

The problem is there are now three different people watching TV and the Hopper only has 3 tuners. If something is recording then there are only 2 tuners available, unless two things are recording. We all watch totally different types of programs and I am certain we are going to run out of tuners very soon.

The boss is not going to be happy at all, and if she aint happy aint nobody happy, if she cant watch what she wants to watch when she wants to watch it.

So, here's the dilemma, I assume i would need to get another Hopper in order to get more tuners. If we did that, would there be anymore DVR fees over what we will have with one Hopper and three Joeys? Also, can the Hopper in the Man Cave be on its own and the other three joeys be linked to the new Hopper?

They did not install the new dish yesterday because someone has to come out and check for underground wiring even though I know there is nothing where they want to put it and where the cable will run. They are scheduled to come back on 7/8 for the dish install. Depending on what I learn from you guys, I will see about getting another Hopper and eliminating on of the Joeys.

Thanks a lot guys, I have a lot to learn about this Hopper.

Why did you not insist on getting the H3 (Hopper 3)? It has 16 tuners and with PTAT you could watch/record up to 19 channels at once. (Add two more if you get the OTA module.)
Get an upgrade to an H3, instead of asking for the second H2.

Yes, I had the exact problem, 4 TVs on a 3 tuner Hopper with Sling. Fortunately there was on demand/dvr/Netflix so that it "worked" but after 2 years of juggling tuners and timers I went with the Hopper 3. It is much faster than the Hopper with Sling and has tons of tuners (16). I would just do it now and be done with it.

As everyone is saying, change that Hopper with Sling out to a Hopper 3. That will fix everything. Once you have that done come back and we’ll discuss how to have separate recording folders so you can segregate your recordings to yourself, your wife, your son, and communal.

I had a similar set up only having three tuners. I understand very well how the "the boss" was not happy when all the turners was used up of either watching TV and/or recording a shows. Talked to Dish and they suggested removing one the Joey's and install a Super Joey. The Super Joey added two more turners for a total of five. Removed one Joey and added the Super Joey. I have had no problems with lack of turners to watch and/or record shows.

Reactions: pattykay
I had a similar set up only having three tuners. I understand very well how the "the boss" was not happy when all the turners was used up of either watching TV and/or recording a shows. Talked to Dish and they suggested removing one the Joey's and install a Super Joey. The Super Joey added two more turners for a total of five. Removed one Joey and added the Super Joey. I have had no problems with lack of turners to watch and/or record shows.
A Hopper 3 will cost you less monthly than a H2000/HWS and and Super Joey.

Well, now on top of the tuners problem, the remote for the boss’ Joey quit working today. I called Dish and the young lady that answered went through several steps to see if it would come back to life. Alas, it was to no avail. Now the boss has to get up to change channels, yeah right. The TV functions of the remote work just no SAT functions. New remote is on the way.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

Well, now on top of the tuners problem, the remote for the boss’ Joey quit working today. I called Dish and the young lady that answered went through several steps to see if it would come back to life. Alas, it was to no avail. Now the boss has to get up to change channels, yeah right. The TV functions of the remote work just no SAT functions. New remote is on the way.

Did they have you do the remote unpairing sequence? Do that, then pair again, and should have no issues whatsoever.

We did that while I was on the phone with her. It didn’t work.

Not just the unpairing from the Hopper menu, correct? An actual sequence you type in the remote, while the receiver is off?

This is a common problem with the remotes. The fix is on the Remote, hold the Sat button in on the side until all the lights light up, then release that and at the same time press Home and Guide until the remote beeps in a descending tone, then hit the System Info button on the front panel of the receiver. Press select and then arrow to unpair.
Open the battery cover, pop the batteries out, then back in, put the cover back on and hit the Sat button on the side and it should pair up.

Now, press home, go to Settings, Remote Control, Drop to TV and press Select, then TV Paring Wizard, select your brand, hit next, let it scan, when it's done, check the volume, if it works, back out and enjoy.

Reactions: charlesrshell
We did all of that while I was on the phone with her. It would not find the remote to pair back up.

I called Dish and talked to one of the best reps i have ever talked to on the phone. I don't remember his name but he was excellent.

Anyway, they are going to come out July 7 and install a Hopper 3 and upgrade two of the Joeys to Joey 3. The other Joey is a wireless one and he said i would have the latest and greatest that Dish has to offer. He, also, waived the $100 upgrade fee. I told him that last night I was ready to throw all of this new equipment out the window and tell Dish to pound sand.

Now i am a happy camper and hopefully the boss's new remote will be in on monday, then she will be happy, too.

I called Dish and talked to one of the best reps i have ever talked to on the phone. I don't remember his name but he was excellent.

Anyway, they are going to come out July 7 and install a Hopper 3 and upgrade two of the Joeys to Joey 3. The other Joey is a wireless one and he said i would have the latest and greatest that Dish has to offer. He, also, waived the $100 upgrade fee. I told him that last night I was ready to throw all of this new equipment out the window and tell Dish to pound sand.

Now i am a happy camper and hopefully the boss's new remote will be in on monday, then she will be happy, too.
Glad to hear that they took care of you. Even with all the problems we had with the Hopper with Sling and the wireless joeys, the customer service was excellent. If I had called them earlier instead of trying to troubleshoot all the problems myself it would have been resolved earlier, lol. I guess I kind of liked the challenge of figuring it out myself, but the wife was NOT amused. It got to the point that she said if the issues we had with the wireless joey did not stop, she wanted to dump Dish for cable. I informed the second to last tech about that and they ended up running cable and swapping the WJ for a Joey 3. That room has been perfect ever since. They gave us the Hopper 3 upgrade with no contract because of the multiple service calls to resolve the original issues. I have been very happy with Dish customer service and now the wife is happy with the actual satellite service.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)