I just beat the HDCP obstacle tonight!!!!! clean version

ocnier

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 28, 2004
Grapevine, TX
Sorry folks, i've been drinking and this is the second thread on this topic. The last (which was promptly deleted by the admins) contained a fair amount of profanity toward jack valenti, the MPAA, and the RIAA (but I digress).

Now, for the heart of the matter (it's the little victories that count). I downloaded slysoft's new Any HD dvd today. I already have power dvd ultra. I promptly went out to my local Best Buy and bought the Xbox 360 hd dvd player for my computer. A computer which has neither a HDCP compliant video card or monitor ( the monitor is high def though Dell 2405 FPW). It seems slysoft's claim is that it can render the HDCP boondoggle irrelevant. I am going on record to say that it is completely true (just make sure you hook up the HD DVD player prior to install of power dvd ultra for some reason it will default to blue ray setup unless there is already a HD DVD player connected). I fired up the hd version of King kong tonight and it looks awesome folks. Basically for a little over $200 dollars I now have a HD DVD player on the cheap that also allows me to back up my movies to hard drive! (Put that in your tail pipe and smoke it MPAA/Valenti). :D Words cannot describe the amount loathing and hatred I have for things such as DRM, HDCP, broadcast flags etc, and the sense of joy that I now have in being able to have stuck it tonight to that despicable entitiy know as the MPAA. :clap: I hope this post helps those of you who are strangled/hindered by the shackles of hollywood and the music industry.

On personal note for all you haters out there I do not download illegal movies or music, but i firmly believe in the consumer's right to do with what he wants with his property in terms of legimate use (ie. backing movies because your kids will damage them).

Last edited:
If you bought it, you should be entitled to do whatever with it as long as you don't share... Imho... but thats not the way "they" see it...

To them you're either a criminal or cash cow to be milked abused and lead to slaughter.

You must have been drinking a lot.

Thanks for cleaning that up :)

I believe in Fair use. :)

I believe in Fair Use as well, and I appreciate ocnier's comments concerning the consumer's right to do with what he wants with his property in terms of legimate use.

But, the way I look at it, for the $150 cost of buying the PowerDVD & AnyDVD HD software, one could afford to replace several damaged HD DVDs (or BDs). Or, better yet, I'll just be very careful with my disks, and use the $150 to buy a bunch more HD DVDs! :cool:

"Don't share?" You mean I can't loan a movie on DVD to my sister or a friend?

As long as those copies you make are for personal use and not distribution then I am okay with that. Making copies to put on your personal server no problem. But start making copies for family and friends or distribution for profit and you need to go to jail!

I'd love to try this setup with blue ray, but there aren't any cost effective players right now, heck even just a base internal drive is still over $500.

I believe in Fair Use as well, and I appreciate ocnier's comments concerning the consumer's right to do with what he wants with his property in terms of legimate use.

But, the way I look at it, for the $150 cost of buying the PowerDVD & AnyDVD HD software, one could afford to replace several damaged HD DVDs (or BDs). Or, better yet, I'll just be very careful with my disks, and use the $150 to buy a bunch more HD DVDs! :cool:
I couldnt disagree more. AnyDVD is the best money I ever spent. As soon as it runs any drive you have is de DRM'd etc allowing you to use many different free backup programs.

I have no problem with what you are doing and support Fair Use. That said thanks to the DMCA it is illegal to defeat copy protection, no matter how lame it is.

I think the EFF was a big help in stopping the broadcast flag from going in to effect and are worth supporting. http://www.eff.org/

I have no problem with what you are doing and support Fair Use. That said thanks to the DMCA it is illegal to defeat copy protection, no matter how lame it is.

I think the EFF was a big help in stopping the broadcast flag from going in to effect and are worth supporting. http://www.eff.org/

Already support EFF, but they are David versus the Goliath. Sometimes it just sucks.