I just can't see why to switch to sat/DSL

Culvin

Original poster
Jul 19, 2004
I just can't see why to switch to sat TV and Qwest DSL

Hello,

I'm a long-time cable customer who was getting ready to make the switch to satellite TV and DSL internet through the phone company after getting tired of the price hikes, but after some research cable always seems to be the better value.

For starters, 1.5m DSL is $39.99 and cable internet (with basic service) is $42.95. Add taxes on to that, and DSL actually becomes more expensive -- not to mention slower and with higher latency (at least through Qwest).

Ok, so this means I really need to save on the satellite TV for a switch to be worth it.

Adelphia:
Basic $44.27 + digital channels $6.00 + digital boxes $9.45 = $59.72
DirecTV (Dish was similiar):
Basic $39.99 + satellite receivers $9.98 + protection plan $5.99 = $55.96

I included the service plan because cable comes with that type of service to begin with and I want to compare apples to apples. So I save roughly $3.76 on the satellite TV which becomes a wash after you include tax from the phone company on DSL. Oh, and DirecTV does have a $14.95 setup/shipping fee.

The way I see it, I get a small downgrade to my internet and a dish with cables running down my house all for the same price and service. Can someone please tell me why satellite TV is supposed to be the better deal?

Lastly, because of the great promotions cable gives, we're getting all of the above plus HBO and a modem rental for less than $90 after tax, and hope to switch promotions after 6 months to keep a similiar package.

Thanks!

Speaking from experience, the only reason I would go from cable/DSL to Satellite modem is if I moved to an area that didn't have cable or DSL service.

Satellite internet is great for out in the sticks, but then you have to deal with latency. The signal has to travel to the satellite and back 4 times(twice each way before you get your information. Gaming is nearly impossible.

Two years ago when I was a DirecPC customer they also put download limits(130mb) per session making downloading some try-before-you-buy programs nearly impossible to get without a way to restart where you left off.

I'd say stay with what you have unless you are compelled to get away from cable.

Thanks, but just to clarify I'm comparing cable TV and internet to satellite TV and DSL internet through the phone company. I'm aware that satellite internet is not worth it at this time unless cable and DSL are not available :)

To me you get more for your money with Satellite TV vs cable tv. Satellite companies don't raise rates nearly as bad as cable companies. You can get distant networks if you qualify and you can get fox sports nets from outside your area, both you cannot do with cable.

Cable systems in some areas of the country offer better deals than satellite. No way to make a blanket statement about the value of cable vs satellite.

Why don't you buy your video from Dish Network or DirecTV and just keep your cable provider to provide data via cable modem?

That's what I do. I find it is the cheapest and best of both worlds. You get all digital channels and fast internet.

I find the cable providers have a hard time raising cable modem rates because the intense competition from the phone companies DSL business. The satellitte providers rase rates much less frequently and don't have the silly stuff like franchize fees on your bill.

My cable company only charges me $5 more if I don't subscribe to family cable so the savings on my satellite bill makes up for it to buy my video service from satellite and data from cable modem.

My DSL is 30.00 packaged with my telephone service and I pay around 65.00 for dish's 120 hd pack and locals. Don't have any of the premiums because I watch all movies on dvd. Sounds expensive in your area. If I would get the cable in my area with the same stuff I already have it would be 15.00 more and the cable internet is 20.00 more. I am saving a lot by using dsl and satellite.

Same here. We get the Premier package with Directv and I like how it includes the Tivo fee and the HD programming.

The same channels would be about $30 more a month with cable.

I pay $45 a month for cable internet. If I had digital cable I would only pay $35 a month.

Digital cable is not really all digital!!

Satellite is.

Satellite and/or DSL isn't always the best deal. It's hard to actually compare apples to apples as each service has it's differences compared to the others.

My town is serviced by Comcast for cable and Verizon for DSL. Expanded Basic analog cable (~70 'real' channels) is about $45. Cable modem is an additional $45 if you have cable or $60 if you don't. Cable speeds are 3000/256 I believe.

I get 1500/384 (soon 3000/768 hopefully) for $32 per month since I have Verizon dial tone, calling services, and long distance.

I also subscribe to Dish. I get just the basic AT60 w/ locals and I have a DVR, so my monthly fee is 24.99+5+5 = $35. AT60 has everything that I watch on cable so it works for me.

So $35 for Dish and $32 for my DSL line (which works better then what Comcast was providing me) costs $67 per month compared to the approximately $90 Comcast would charge me. For me, it's cheaper. In your case, it may not be.

Culvin said:
Thanks, but just to clarify I'm comparing cable TV and internet to satellite TV and DSL internet through the phone company. I'm aware that satellite internet is not worth it at this time unless cable and DSL are not available :)

OK, my bad. :D

I pay $100.00 a month combined to my phone co. for single line phone service and DSL(1.5mb/128kb) and another $95 for my Dish Network 'Almost Everything Package'.

I can't get cable in my area so that is not an option for me.

So, the bottom line is not just money, but support, uptime, features, content, funtionality.

Your question is really so open ended that there is no right answer. A lot of it will have to do with personal preference more than just cost.

As far as Cable/satellite, the channel content and equipment should be what sways your decision. If you want a DVR/Tivo or multi-room viewing or HD content.

The Cons for satellite is Rain fade/snow on dish causes signal loss. Dish mounting/cables running from roof or pole mount. No clear shot to southern sky due to building obstacle or trees.

Cable cons: More frequent outages. Signal degradation through multiple switches and boosters before it gets to your home. Newer all digital cable fixes most signal loss.

It is 6 of one and half dozen of the other.

Good luck choosing.

I see a lot of you are actually saving quite a bit by using satellite TV and DSL internet. I guess it's highly dependent on where you live as to whether all cable or satellite TV and DSL or cable internet is the better value. Unfortunately for me, Qwest's DSL is expensive ($39.99 is the discounted price for having their home package) and poor for online gaming (they won't turn their interleaving off). And if I drop my basic cable, cable internet goes up by $10.00.

I guess I'll have to wait for Qwest to get their act together, or for satellite TV to give me a savings of more than $10.00 to make up for the increased price of internet before making the switch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)