I just ordered a DSR-500 :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

iafirebuff

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Waterloo, Iowa
Well, I just ordered a DSR-500 from SatelliteAV - $37 WITH FEDEX! I have been looking for a spare receiver. This one sounds nice. Price is right! I probably should buy more, but I don't want to push my luck with the boss :)

I see SatelliteAV is located in Roseville, CA (?) so you should get yours real quick. I am anxious to hear what it is like! I am on vacation next week so I can play :)

Too bad they don't offer it online somehow. I won't call.. it's just one of them stupid phobia's of mine (I hate talking on the phone... don't ask me why.. it doesn't make sense to me either)

That's not stupid. I prefer to order online myself. If there is a choice between calling or online ordering, I always opt for online. I also let my wife do all the phone calls. Then I ask her a million questions that had I made the call, I would have known about :)

I missed out on the Coolsat. But this is just what I have been looking for - a cheap receiver for my wife's office, and to take outside when I blind scan. Will have to see where I end up putting this receiver, it might go in the living room if I like it better than my Fortec :)

Got mine...:D

Now I don't have to lug the Coolsat outside when I am aiming...I'll have a reciever handy!

Kudos to SatelliteAV! :cool:

My Fortec has been out many a times.....the poor remote has gotten scuffed from being dropped. I even knocked the receiver of a time or two, and luckily no damage :)

vanilla ?

I read through the manual tonight.
Of course, without the receiver on hand to actually try everything, a lot was taken on faith.
Didn't run into anything that seemed obviously off-target.

Looks like you can rename channels, and sort them in any order you like.
Settings for (4-port or 16-port) diseqc, and 22khz switches didn't appear difficult to understand.
The USALS motor mode is called STAB (not too hard to recognize).
The Blind Scan wasn't described, but we'll get around to that.

Most of the settings could be saved or dumped by choosing to press one of two keys after making all the selections.
I'm sure the old timers will have theirs on-line within minutes of powering 'em up.

Been thinking about getting into FTA for a while and I saw this deal while perusing the board.

Question for the veterans - would this be a good receiver for a newbie to start out with?

Status
Please reply by conversation.