I just ordered the Dish Silver HD package...

ocanyc

Original poster
Jun 4, 2006
which I believe comes with VOOM. Did I make the right choice? Should I have gone with D*? They wont be able to come to me until the 16th, since they said I have to receive the 211 via delivery first. Man I hope I made the right choice, I'm coming from TWC HD btw.

Lots of debate here re: E* vs. D*. I'm with E* so I have that bias, just FYI. You will get a minimum of 22 HD channels from E* with your package (includes the 15 voom channels), plus 2 more coming in the next few days, plus whatever HD locals you can get in your area, if you have the LiL subscription. And there are the HD premiums and PPVs if you want to pay for them. I'm not sure what the count is with D* but it's still less than that. Today E* has the overall HD edge over D*, but that changes as the two companies leapfrog one-another.

Take "HD" from both sat. providers with a large spoonful of salt. The purists are on an active campaign against "HD-Lite" (which most of the channels are in to one extent or another) and I tend to share that criticism, but in general my "HD" PQ is very acceptable and quite superior to SD. If you have the capability of receiving HD over-the-air channels you should really get that hooked-up as well as the OTA PQ is still better than most of what you can receive via either E* or D*. I'm not sure how your TWC HD PQ was, probably quite good, so in some respects you might be disappointed with the PQ over either sat. provider, but the channel line-ups via sat. are growing rapidly, faster than cable. If you want a lot of sports then D* might have been a better choice overall with packages like NFL ST, but I'm not sure how much of that is available in HD or what the blackout rules are. With E* HD Silver you are entitled to your RSN, however...

Welcome, BTW...

Last edited:
there's no reason the hd channel has to be in the same tier as the sd channel, especially since dish and us would be paying extra for the HD channel, they can place it in a different tier. But if they do start to tier HD channels, maybe that's the reason the stand alone pack is an extra $9.99 so you'd continue to get all HD regardless of it's metallic tier

That is my guess. At least for awhile I would think that you will get all HD channels (except premium) with all the HD Paks. Until there are many many more HD channels I don't think this will be a problem (at least I hope ;) )

Yes - The "metallic" packages up through Gold will receive all the non-premium HDs and PPV HDs will appear for purchase. (Platinum customers also get the premiums.) I said two more coming; it's actually three: HGTV-HD, NFL-HD, STARZ-HD (if you get STARZ). National Geo is apparently delayed (? - is that correct - ?) but should be available to all metallic customers when it's available.

Note - If you are on the old HD-Pack/voom subscription, even with a ViP receiver you will NOT get the "new" channels until you upgrade. I have no experience with the $29.99 HD standalone pack, so YMMV...!

EDIT - Looks like the NFLHD is for HD Silver and above...

EDIT AGAIN 6/9/06 - Maybe not! According to the updated E* website - all "metallic" levels have 3 new channels HGTV. NFLHD, and NTGHD, and STZHD at Platinum or if you're sub'd to that package...

Last edited:
bhelms said:
National Geo is apparently delayed (? - is that correct - ?) but should be available to all metallic customers when it's available.
Careful, that rumor first appeared from someone with single-digit post count! I'll wait till I hear from someone with more credibility.

bhelms said:
Yes - The "metallic" packages up through Gold will receive all the non-premium HDs and PPV HDs will appear for purchase. .!

How are you so sure about this? Do you work for E* :D

ocanyc said:
How are you so sure about this? Do you work for E* :D
No, I don't work for E* and I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night. But I do sub to HD Bronze and that's what I currently receive. The differences in HD Bronze, Silver, and Gold are in the non-HD inclusions. Check it out for yourself here...

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/...ramming/pricingandpackages/bronze/index.shtml

All 3 lower HD tiers get the same 23 HD channels. (I count 22, I guess they're including the fishtank...!)

Of course - that's TODAY. Things could change - it's happened before...!

Sarcasm aside, Welcome, BTW...!

Last edited:
I have had the HD Silver package for about 2 months now and am very happy with it for the most part. Havent had any problems with my 211 using the HDMI input. (Knock on wood).

So from what I see earlier in the thread the Silver package will be getting the Natl Geo HD channel......I will keep my fingers crossed when E* flips the switch and from what i have heard that should be sometime today :)

It was a simulcast of the hockey games on OLN, so it matched programming. But the nhl on onl is over for this season and they should be removing the channel shortly

Just to clarify - I was talking about the 23 (22?) HD channels listed in the Dish site for which I provided the link. NHLHD was not in that list...

BFG said:
It was a simulcast of the hockey games on OLN, so it matched programming. But the nhl on onl is over for this season and they should be removing the channel shortly

okay that is right, sorry been a long day of router trouble, computer trouble, my brain is fried, but that is right, thanks bfg!

bhelms said:
No, I don't work for E* and I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night. But I do sub to HD Bronze and that's what I currently receive. The differences in HD Bronze, Silver, and Gold are in the non-HD inclusions. Check it out for yourself here...

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/...ramming/pricingandpackages/bronze/index.shtml

All 3 lower HD tiers get the same 23 HD channels. (I count 22, I guess they're including the fishtank...!)

Of course - that's TODAY. Things could change - it's happened before...!

Sarcasm aside, Welcome, BTW...!

I always thought they all contained the same Hd channels, but I believe those listing are not that accurate. Do all the HD packages get the HD NEWS channel? If so the link says different. Thanks for the welcome.

gjh3260 said:
I have had the HD Silver package for about 2 months now and am very happy with it for the most part. Havent had any problems with my 211 using the HDMI input. (Knock on wood).

So from what I see earlier in the thread the Silver package will be getting the Natl Geo HD channel......I will keep my fingers crossed when E* flips the switch and from what i have heard that should be sometime today :)

Oh please keep us posted if they do put that channel in the lineup, it would be a great addidtion and a great time for me to join.

ocanyc said:
I always thought they all contained the same Hd channels, but I believe those listing are not that accurate. Do all the HD packages get the HD NEWS channel? If so the link says different. Thanks for the welcome.
I get HD NEWS in the Bronze package, so I assume you'll have it as well...

And as per many other threads and the E* website, there will be those 3 new HD channels added to all metallic levels, and STARZHD in platinum or if you are sub'd to starz premium...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts