I like my 522

chingon

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
First off I'm not going to start an argument thread. The complaints on the 522 have been VERY valid I'm sure. I just got mine yesterday so I did not go though the buggier stages like you guys did, keep in mind I'm just starting out and I'm in NO WAY trying to minimize they problems you have had. I switched from the direct tv tivo and so far like the 522 better. Why? In no particular order:

1. PnP. I do like this feature.
2. Caller ID.
2. The remote. I hated the tivo remote. To me the dish one is much better done. This goes to the other direct tv remotes also. The ones in the bedrooms (rca) I hated, they were badly designed and buttons crammed together . I could not do anything without looking at the remote.
3. Favorites. The 522 has 4 modifiable favorites and the tivo only one. I love having several of them.
4. The guide. I like the one on the 522 much better, easier to read for us old fart's. The ones in the bedroom (rca) I could hardly read at all, the 322 I can read easily. When going from the 522 to the 322 the remotes are virtually the same (with the exception of the dvr buttons) as with pretty much all of the dishnetwork remotes.
5. On the rca units (nothing to do with the tivo unit) they always powered up on all channels and I had to go in and select my favorites every single time. The 322 (and other dish units I used) powers up in the last favorites list that you were in.
6. Not a dvr issue again, but I like the sirius music included (at least with the top 180). The installer told me that Dish is going to come out with an optinon to add auto sirius for a little extra (less than what sirius normally is) which would be nice. I'm not relying on this though until I see it.

The only thing that I liked about the tivo that this one does not have is, when you push record after you have been watching a program for a while it will go back and store it from the beginning (provided you have been on that channel all along) and the 522 does not seem to do that. I thought the the thumbs up/thumbs down feature was stupid.

I am just trying to point out some of the good things about the 522 and I say again I am not trying to minimize problems anyone has had. I just think it's fair to list stuff like this and not allways the bad. I'm sure I will see some bugs, but I'm not a heavy recorder anyway. I'm sure I'll piss off any trolls though by mentioning any good points of this box.

I agree with 99% of what you said. I actually jsut got off the phone with the CEO office to try to get my 311/tivo combo switched out for a 510. I have a 522 in my living room and it is the greatest thing since sliced bread but there are still some bad problems of freezes and audio drop outs.

Here, here...I'm sick of reading the "522 sucks" threads, and was beginning to think that this forum was only full of "Negative Nancy's" ;). My 522 has it's problems, and I see the audio drop outs and freezes every now and again, but I'm in love with the fact that I have (basically) a central video server that both TV's can read off of. If I would have gotten a DirecTiVo, I would have had to coordinate my season passes to best determine where I'd like to watch the show: in the bedroom, or on the living room couch.

I'm a former TiVo owner (for the past 5 years), and TiVo is certainly an excellent product. So excellent that I heavily modded mine to do even MORE cool things. I also had ReplayTV (for 2 years), which had cool features that the TiVo didn't (CommercialAdvance, anyone? Internet Sharing?). Just prior to switching to DISH, I was leaning towards using my ReplayTV a LOT more than my TiVo. I just liked it more.

With the 522, I'm starting to fall in love all over again - even without the ReplayTV and TiVo features. If they implement NBR correctly and fix the audio/video glitches, the 522 blows the others away IMHO.

If you are on the channel with dish you can rewind the show back to the beginning and then hit record and then fast forward back to live and it will record the entire show. The only problem is that you will have to turn it off or it will keep recording. This works on all the dish dvrs like the 500 series and the 721/921.

Ditto chingon, I'm extremely pleased with my 522 (and my 921 also) .

You'll find that on forums in general, people are quick to post their rants but seldom post their raves (like you did) .
You'll also notice that for some reason there's a handful of Ex-Dish customers who continually come back to bash Dish . They seem obsessed with doing this, instead of just moving on and enjoying whatever provider they switched to .

MikeD-C05 said:
If you are on the channel with dish you can rewind the show back to the beginning and then hit record and then fast forward back to live and it will record the entire show. The only problem is that you will have to turn it off or it will keep recording. This works on all the dish dvrs like the 500 series and the 721/921.
My 921 has an option "Record entire event" that is available when the buffer has the entire show. 721 might have it too. It will auto-stop at the end of the show.

SimpleSimon said:
My 921 has an option "Record entire event" that is available when the buffer has the entire show. 721 might have it too. It will auto-stop at the end of the show.

522 does too I have two recordings to prove it... one is S.W.A.T. and the other is The Screen Savers

I could be wrong shadow. I noticed when I tried it the other day the "record entire event" option was grayed out. I know it was in the buffer because I had been on the same channel for several hours. I will check it again though, if I am wrong I will admit to it. I have been wrong once or twice.....

I have a strange 522 so dont take jsut my word for it... I will test it now since im half way through the screen savers It gave me the option to record entire event... we shall see i guess

SimpleSimon said:

Before there was a "record entire event" option, the only way to record the entire event was to rewind to the beginning and hit record and then fast forward to the end and you will get the entire event recorded except you would have to stop it on your own. This still works if you come in late on a show and you still want to record what IS there. Although I too perfer the new record entire event option. ;)

chingon said:
I could be wrong shadow. I noticed when I tried it the other day the "record entire event" option was grayed out. I know it was in the buffer because I had been on the same channel for several hours. I will check it again though, if I am wrong I will admit to it. I have been wrong once or twice.....

Were you watching a recorded show? If so, my system does not buffer.
For instance, if TV1 is on TNT and we watch a recorded event out TV1, then when we go to live TV, there is no buffer for TV1.. Perhaps that is what you experienced.

Correct buffering only occurs for what is actually being sent to the output(s) - with the exception of the red-button PiP trick (721 only I think).

I must be doing something wrong, with my 522- If I rewind to the beginning of the show and push record, It starts recording from that point (the beginning) Then fast forward to the end and hit stop, the only thing that recorded was the beginning till I hit stop. If I let the whole thing to continue to play then it all ends up in the timer.
Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks
Lenny

cheezwiz said:
Were you watching a recorded show? If so, my system does not buffer.
For instance, if TV1 is on TNT and we watch a recorded event out TV1, then when we go to live TV, there is no buffer for TV1.. Perhaps that is what you experienced.

I'm not sure what I did the first time (brain fart I guress) but I checked it again and indeed you can hit "record entire event". My mistake, now there was nothing I preferred about the tivo. I just noticed mine updated to the 2.04 update last night.

The 522 if working correctly is very very good I agree. When I first got mine in April I noticed all the complaining on this site and just figured I got lucky. Now I see what it's all about. If you had it for one day, you can't begin to understand how it feels to always be going through these things. Its almost like some of you have accepted that it will never work correctly. The "positive" things you listed is how its SUPPOSED to work, it's not like its something extra we're getting, its what we pay for.

That's like saying a posiitive aspect of your car is that you put it in drive and it moves forward. It's supposed to do that.

If you had it for one day, you can't begin to understand how it feels to always be going through these things.

Didn't I pretty much say that in my post? Did you read this?:

"The complaints on the 522 have been VERY valid I'm sure. I just got mine yesterday so I did not go though the buggier stages like you guys did, keep in mind I'm just starting out and I'm in NO WAY trying to minimize they problems you have had."

The "positive" things you listed is how its SUPPOSED to work, it's not like its something extra we're getting, its what we pay for.

That's like saying a posiitive aspect of your car is that you put it in drive and it moves forward. It's supposed to do that.

The "positive" things I listed was to show things the 522 has/does that the directivo does not. It was to show the reasons why I like the 522 better than the directivo, It's not just a rave about the functions of the 522. Did you miss this?:

"I switched from the direct tv tivo and so far like the 522 better. Why?"

Right, the car example wasn't a good analogy for the starting post of this thread. The point of the thread is to compliment specific design differences between the Dish DVR and the Tivo. All cars (as far as I know) are supposed to move forward when you put them in "drive".

The big IF is when and IF they implement Name Based Recording... also I am getting tired of all the drop outs and the video discolorations...

I hope Dish has put fixing the audio & video problems as a higher priority than NBR. If you can't watch recordings without continual audio/video freezing then what difference does it make how the timer is triggered?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts