I like VOOM but DTV makes me think twice (about their new offer)

Madtown HD Junkie

Occasional Supreme Being
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 3, 2004
Madison, WI
I like Voom and have been happy for the past few months but have some issues that still bother me:

1. NFL Voom - the HD channel was a Aug 1st. start date on their site now it is end of Aug according to a CSR today. :mad:
2. Why can't I use a debit card instead of a CC....I run a business and process $1000's a day and never have to pre-authorize a sale, thus double charging for 3 days the customers card, you just charge them.
3. Rain Fade...anything more than a light rain and I get blocks or picture loss in Madison, WI. Only lost the pictures for 1 day in a snowstorm in 4 years w/ DTV. There a new dish or fix to this.
4. DTV offers less HD content, but I really can do with out most of the exclusive channles like Moov, auction, gallery, almost all the exclusive movies one, and also the damn mosquito noise especially on dark colors on Equator.
5. DTV will be adding Bravo(no big deal) TNT, and other hd channels soon also you get 6 months free of HD if you subscribe to thier HD package for a year and they lock it in at $10.95 for last 6 months.
6. NFL ticket - no needs to say more here. Only on DTV.
7. called to get another 2 boxes for TV at home and she told me it was like $400 plus $20/month more. I have a TIVO DTV box and 2 other sitting in my basement i can't use with Voom.

anyway....i love the selection and options and $39.99 price(till 12-31-04) but $20 for HBO month is too damn steep....

any thoughts? Am Missing something about either one or just really wanting to get the NFL ticket and trying to find a way to justify switch to my wife!!!! :eek:

Feedback or comments?

Madtown HD Junkie said:
I like Voom and have been happy for the past few months but have some issues that still bother me:

1. NFL Voom - the HD channel was a Aug 1st. start date on their site now it is end of Aug according to a CSR today. :mad:
2. Why can't I use a debit card instead of a CC....I run a business and process $1000's a day and never have to pre-authorize a sale, thus double charging for 3 days the customers card, you just charge them.
3. Rain Fade...anything more than a light rain and I get blocks or picture loss in Madison, WI. Only lost the pictures for 1 day in a snowstorm in 4 years w/ DTV. There a new dish or fix to this.
4. DTV offers less HD content, but I really can do with out most of the exclusive channles like Moov, auction, gallery, almost all the exclusive movies one, and also the damn mosquito noise especially on dark colors on Equator.
5. DTV will be adding Bravo(no big deal) TNT, and other hd channels soon also you get 6 months free of HD if you subscribe to thier HD package for a year and they lock it in at $10.95 for last 6 months.
6. NFL ticket - no needs to say more here. Only on DTV.
7. called to get another 2 boxes for TV at home and she told me it was like $400 plus $20/month more. I have a TIVO DTV box and 2 other sitting in my basement i can't use with Voom.

anyway....i love the selection and options and $39.99 price(till 12-31-04) but $20 for HBO month is too damn steep....

any thoughts? Am Missing something about either one or just really wanting to get the NFL ticket and trying to find a way to justify switch to my wife!!!! :eek:

Feedback or comments?

You asked for Feedback... Here is mine.

1- You are making too much of a deal of NFLVOOM. Last year it was on and it was only the game of the week on HD for one hour. It is not up on VoOM or on anybody; I would be very surprised if the NFL has any more hours of HD. Remember also that the NFL believes that 16mm film HD transfers look as good as 36mm film HD transfers. So these transfers are nothing to rave about. Sorry to break it to you but this channel is more hype by the NFL than anything else.

2- Don't know. I don't every use debit cards. CC secure any purchase I make.

3 - Rain Fade: Get a larger dish. Call VOOM and tell them about it. You may minimize the rain fade. Others have been succesful with this solution. I still have my 18" dish.

4- Well if you don't like the content that's quite acceptable. Maybe you should look into other programming elsewhere.

5- If you are ok with the one year contract, go for it but I don't like to be locked into any type of contract that will tie my hands. Especially if someone else comes around with something better.

6- NFL Ticket... Some are really into this. I am not. I'm a sport fan but I cannot watch more than one game per day.

7-Those are the prices. Either you buy or lease. I like to add two more boxes but won't for the same reason. So I am not in hurry to add them. Now if the DVR multi solution comes around it may be the solution (keeping finger cross).

One of my major reasons for keeping Voom is price and no contracts. I REFUSE to sign any contract that locks me in for a year. No way, no how.

You can use a debit card if its like mine that also has a MC logo on it. Just tell them its a MC. I do. Same goes for debit/visa cards. Lie to them. They lie about their PQ being the best, so whats it matter? LMAO

negreenfield said:
One of my major reasons for keeping Voom is price and no contracts. I REFUSE to sign any contract that locks me in for a year. No way, no how.

It's not prison, it's just a contract. Ever hear the old adage- "Contracts are made to be broken"?

I like voom too and plan on keeping it if I can, but dtv just came out with 6 months free HD package. If they add a few more HD channels, it might just be worth looking in to.

When will people listen to some simple advice.

DO NOT use a Debit card with anyone where you do not personally control the number, ie card in hand only.

Especially Voom and their 3rd grade math finance department will send you to the poor house.

Example...the guy who had his CC charged over $1,000 by Voom, call the CC company and they stop it, problem solved, now you can talk to Voom to get it straighted out.

Same guy with a debit card, money is GONE, G O N E, fom your account. Call Voom all you want now and good luck getting it back.

Someone puts one too many zero's in somewhere and your screwed. Yes, you can most likely get your money back, eventually, but what if it takes a week, two, or three? Some people have bill paying accounts, thats how we do it. It has in there enough to pay our reoccuring bills with some extra for the float in electric/gas, etc...if Voom made the wrong pull, none of our bills would be paid on time and we wouldn't know until the letters started showing up.

Credit Cards do offer consumer protection, use it.

Yea Directv Says 6 Months Free HD Package If You Sign Up For 1 Year Of The HD Package.
What D* Is Really Sayings Is Sign Up For Total Choice Pkg. Or Above That Level For A Year & Pay Half Price For The HD Pkg.. Thats Not A Deal It's Another 1 Year Commitment For At Least $36.99 Plus 6 Months Of HD Pkg. @ $10.99.

GOOD TRY D*!!! For Me I Will Stay With VOOM IF THEY CAN FIX THE RAIN FADE ISSUE.

If your a DTV sub already that doesnt have that pack...I think thats a pretty good deal. Over the year you are only paying 6 bucks a mth for their HD pack. Sounds good to me.

Seawaves said:
It's not prison, it's just a contract. Ever hear the old adage- "Contracts are made to be broken"?
lol, I've had DirecTV, it's a nice service, but I absolutely hated having a contract and won't fall to that again. I've got cell service with the same provider for 7 years because they never made me sign a contract. Am I weird or something? ;)

Again if you are into SD go with the package and get yourself locked into a lot of compressed fuzzy SD picture (best quality there is according to DirecTv commercial) and very little HD. If you hang around AVSforum (HDTV programming), you may catch the latter DirecTv thread of "new HD" additions. The faithful D* susbscriber have already changed the date from August/September to September/October. If you like to be in the waiting game, go for it. Nobody is holding you.

Each provider has it's good points and it's bad points.

I have heard the rumors that Directv is getting more HD this fall, and if it holds true there should be some interesting competition going on. :)

Neutron said:
Each provider has it's good points and it's bad points.

I have heard the rumors that Directv is getting more HD this fall, and if it holds true there should be some interesting competition going on. :)

I hope so... but again this rumor has so many deadlines that it has become ridiculous already and filling the internet with empty promises... Competition is only good for any provider and I hope that Dish gets it too but they seem to be dead about HD. There's no hope there. Right there's no compelling programming.

Again hope that the hopes of the fall do not become winter and spring...Meanwhile...

negreenfield said:
lol, I've had DirecTV, it's a nice service, but I absolutely hated having a contract and won't fall to that again. I've got cell service with the same provider for 7 years because they never made me sign a contract. Am I weird or something? ;)

No- you are not weird, would you take the "contract" that Kobe just signed? lol.. 9 mil if he goes to the pen, more if he does not.

I came to Voom in part because of the no contract, so I would like to avoid them if I can. A year always goes fast though.

I just like having both...dont like the bills...but I sure love watching some tv. Dont want to get rid of VOOM and I dont want to get rid of Directv. Best of both worlds.

vinnyv07 said:
I just like having both...dont like the bills...but I sure love watching some tv. Dont want to get rid of VOOM and I dont want to get rid of Directv. Best of both worlds.
Ditto :D

wow, 6 months free...for what? espnhd, hdnet, hdnet movies, and discovery channel....
Big Fkn Deal. they can keep it.

If I were voom, this would be a prime time to tout some upcoming additions, I mean advertise the hell out of them and institute 6 month contracts. It will take Directv a year probably to catch up anyway. Theyve been waiting for months and months since sat 7s went up, and whats D*'s priority? their precious local in local that look like crap IMO. SO Voom offer us something, up the bandwidth and I'll sign on for a year. Voom needs subs badly and thats the way to build your user base. I think a 6 month contract would help, hell it takes at least that long for most to get fed up with a service. I dont see Voom making it without them.

vurbano said:
wow, 6 months free...for what? espnhd, hdnet, hdnet movies, and discovery channel....
Big Fkn Deal. they can keep it.

Don't forget BravoHD in the next couple of months. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts