Status
Please reply by conversation.

chapelrun

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 12, 2008
Berryville, VA
I went back to a local TV repair man today and asked him again about his 10' solid Channel Master. I had asked him before and he said he cannot part with it because it is how folks find his shop. "Look for the big, black dish out front, that is me".

So today I went back with a picture of my 8' Solid Channel Master and said I would trade him the 8 footer for the 10 footer straight up and I would do all the work. He looked at the picture and asked what color it was. I told him it was very white as I had just used hot water and bleach on it. Then he frowned and said no he needed his dish like it was as a way for folks to find him. (By the way this 10 footer has not been used for years and he installed it himself).

He used to install large dishes in our area. He even told me a story of installing one with his team up on the mountain when it was snowing many years ago. I asked if he knew where any solid 10 footer were but he said it had been so long ago that he did not remember.

I was getting ready to leave and he looked up and said - - - "Well if you paint the face of your dish black and do all the work I will trade you for my dish"

I said "Really!" and we talked for another half an hour about dishes and installs. He has alot of old, cool stuff in his shop and a few old metal "Channel Master" signs. It is obvious he was and still is an authorized "Channel Master" reseller - - - (old school and been there for years)

When I left I told him once it cools down a bit I would be back. It was 101 today.

He really made my day!!

Careful - ACradio may come kick your ... butt!

...hrmmm.... I think a nice clean white dish is WAY more eye-catching than a black one!
So much so, I don't think that much of the solid Birdviews. (I know: heresy)
Install it white. He may relent.
If not, bring over some long-handle rollers and a gallon of dark gray paint and he may even help ya! :)

And you know . . . we . want . PICTURES . ! . - :D

Painted the 8 footer Black today

In preparation to trade my 8 footer for the 10 footer. I painted the 8 footer black today.

From looking at the picture it seems I will need to do another coat tomorrow. I also painted the mount gloss black.

How does it look?

Next step is to schedule the trade with the TV repair man.

Attachments

• Black-ChannelMaster.JPG
    Black-ChannelMaster.JPG
    327.7 KB · Views: 333
One step closer to a 10 foot Channel Master

Made some good progress today on trading my 8 foot Channel Master for a 10 foot Channel Master.

My son and his friend helped me for several hours today.

We took down the 10 footer and put back up the 8 footer at the TV repair man's shop. The drive home with the bigger dish was kinda' fun, we had to take all the back roads and we got some interesting looks because the dish hung over the sides of the truck pretty far.

Got home safely and have not even got it off the truck yet.

Here are some PIX - - - I tried to get the boys to mug for the camera but they just ran away.

Hope to get this dish up within the next couple weeks.

Attachments

• TenFootDish.jpg
    TenFootDish.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 284
  • EightFootDish.jpg
    EightFootDish.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 268
  • TenFootHomeTruck.jpg
    TenFootHomeTruck.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 278
A little ragged around the edges, but hey... ten feet is ten feet! - :up

Personally, I'd go with some ScotchBrite on the support struts, then a couple of coats of grey primer.
I have some shiny silver paint that'd look good as a top coat, but as any cook would say: season to taste. - ;)

For the dish, there was a fine discussion by McGuyver: How I Painted my BUD
He refurbished his sand-blown 8' ChannelMaster and now it looks new!

Yea, I thought of that

You should put his logo on that thing!

I should have put a big "Max's TV Repair" on the 8 Footer but he was very sure he wanted it to be BLACK and I didn't want to make him mad.

I told the boys it would take 2 hours to do all the work and it took 3 instead, so they were not too happy with me but we stopped and got a Gatorade and all was good.
I'd say its probably worth two in the bush , LOL
I love that commercial - - - I busted out laughing the first time I saw it. :)

Went by Max's TV Repair this morning

I went by Max's TV Repair this morning on the way to work and he was very happy with the 8 Foot dish. He did say he was going to turn it a bit since most of the traffic comes from one direction. He liked the paint job and I asked him about a logo that said Max's TV Repair and he said that would have been fine but he liked it just as it was.

I read and copied off the How I Painted my BUD by McGuyver

Went to the hardware store and bought the supplies today. The 10 Footer will go from "A little ragged around the edges" as Anole said to hopefully looking like McGuyver's.

Thanks for the help!

Update on the 10 Footer

I worked on the 10 Footer most of the weekend. I took it apart (most of the way) and so far focused on the dish itself.

I took most of McGuyver's advise on the prep and painting of the dish - - using the Rust-Oleum High Performance Metal Primer (White)

I cleaned the dish with a hose and scrub brush and then sanded the face of the dish completely. McGuyver has much greater patience than me as 220 sand paper would have taken months, I used 80 grit sandpaper and gave it 3 light sandings by hand. In between each sanding I would hose it down and scrub it off again. I plan to give it 3 coats of the Rust-Oleum but the picture only has one coat so far.

The support arms are made of Aluminum and getting that black paint off is going to be hard. I got something called Aluminum Jelly "Cleaner and Brightener" but have not tried it yet.

The scalar ring bolts were so rusted they all broke off, so I plan to use a new scalar ring with a new LNBF.

Mount needs to be wire brushed and painted black.

Don't have the 3 1/2" x 10' pole yet - - - I'm looking for one.

Here are some pictures of this weekend's progress.

Attachments

• MyHelper.jpg
    MyHelper.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 268
  • SupportPoles.jpg
    SupportPoles.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 246
  • Mount-Paint.jpg
    Mount-Paint.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 271
  • 10Foot-FirstCoatPaint.jpg
    10Foot-FirstCoatPaint.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 266
- WOW - !

I took most of McGuyver's advise on the prep and painting of the dish - - using the Rust-Oleum High Performance Metal Primer (White)...
I plan to give it 3 coats of the Rust-Oleum but the picture only has one coat so far.
Man, that thing is lookin' real pretty!
It's way beyond what most folks find in the wild and call great condition, and you're only up to one coat!? - :eek:
You'll give McGuyver some serious competition by three! - :rolleyes:

The support arms are made of Aluminum and getting that black paint off is going to be hard.
I got something called Aluminum Jelly "Cleaner and Brightener" but have not tried it yet.
Well, if it's specifically -for- aluminum, that's fine.
Let me repeat my suggestion: ScotchBrite! - ;)

Keep up the fine work.
That's gonna look new by the time you're through with it.

Weekend Update

Well I put the second coat of paint the 10 footer today and my daughter caught me. I have used almost 3/4 of a gallon of paint just on two coats.

I also got a 12 foot piece of "Drill Steel" for my support pole. I went to the local Metal Scrap yard and asked if I could look around. They had 16 foot piece of the Drill Steel and I could not even haul that because it was too long and heavy. I asked if they could cut it down to 12 feet which they did (they have really cool tools!) Even at 12 feet I could barely lift it. It is not a standard pipe, it's what they use to drill wells and is very thick walled (almost solid)

I went up to pay for it and they said "no charge" - - - the guy said they are only setup to "take" steel and not "give" it - - - they would have to do alot of paperwork for me to pay for it - - - so they said just take it. :up

Some PIX - - - don't laugh too hard.

Attachments

• FatManPaintingBUD.JPG
    FatManPaintingBUD.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 271
  • Drill-Steel.jpg
    Drill-Steel.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 259
Maybe we can get Stogie to sit in the big fiberglass dish he's refinishing, for a similar picture!

OR, maybe put a 4 year old up in it, with a paint brush...
... pull the cap down over his ears, and make his dish look -really- big! - :D

Last edited:
You might be a RedNeck if . . .

Your 14 year old son backs his truck into your dish !!! :eek:

Of course, I was not too happy but it really just made a hole and scratched the paint.

I need to get this thing up on the pole - - - but only have time on weekends to work on it.

Attachments

• Dish-BoBo.jpg
    Dish-BoBo.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 221
  • Bad-Truck.jpg
    Bad-Truck.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 211
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)