I MAY Be A New (Unpaid) BETA Tester...

Vicki

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 25, 2004
Rocklin, CA--near Sacramento
Much earlier (starting around 9AM) I started trying to pull all my symptoms together and get them in some sort of format to try to spot the anomolies, in an effort to pinpoint the type of OTA upgrade I need.

I have put together an Excel spreadsheet which I will post later with all the details for anyone who is interested, but after I got it all together, I went back to double check that all my info for each channel was correct, and found something very interesting!!!! :D :D :D

I'm on 5.68, V16. Sometime since about noon, the EMM Provider portion of my settings have changed to 1080/159, whereas previously it varied from channel to channel, and the System Authorization has changed from SWO to MP.

Additionally, the SNR numbers for all my OTA channels have changed from varying numbers 21-31 to all 0.00 and I think that from time to time I can see that WOW factor I've been looking for. :shocked :shocked :shocked

Haven't spent enough time yet to know if the pixelization and sound drop are gone yet, but what caused me to go back and check all those numbers again (which takes forever!!) was that I got a large block of green in the upper left corner of my pillar boxed channel, and then my picture froze but the sound continued. Got it back by channeling up and down a time or two, but then it did it again, so I went back to the drawing board and found these changes.

There is some bad news along with this though :no --I have completely lost 5 channels that I had before (ABC, FOX, and one PBS feed). All are mapped, so hopefully they will come back later! :yes

It's interesting that I sent an e-mail to VOOM yesterday about having a hand myself in determining the type of upgraded antenna they will authorize to Crave Electronics. I put my phone number in the e-mail, and since I had not previously authorized them to contact me via e-mail, a Tech Rep called me back, and we got to chatting with about the fixes (that he said they were pushing!) after talking about my antenna, then today I get this!?!? Don't know if there's any connection, but I think I may be getting to be a happy camper! :rainbow @party :yikes :haha :eureka :love :clap

Vicki

P.S. This info currently only applies to my HDTV set top box, haven't had time to check the one in the bedroom on an SD set, but wanted to get the possible good news out there! :D Gonna go have a drink--it's 5PM SOMEWHERE! @party

I am confused you have version 6 software or WOW factor? My head hurts.

I think she said her PQ is finally in the WOW factor?

Vicki drug type, how much, and how often, I want to know, NOW.

Yeah, I may soon be a beta tester too. I called to check on my lcoals because my they are mapped wrong and they were 'fixing it' for a couple of week now. So I ask about the new firmware and the csr says she can get that for me and that someone would call me about it. Last night Voom called to set up an appointment to replace my receiver with a new one with new software. This is nuts, why swap receivers if they are downloading the new stuff? Why does it take weeks to get local mapping changed? I've had voom about 6 weeks now and not impressed. Been holding on for the OTA scanning and hopefully networking DVR, but its getting close to kick-off season and right now all I want is my locals. I've got a directv HD system sitting here ready to go if Voom keeps dropping the ball.

Dvlos said:
I am confused you have version 6 software or WOW factor? My head hurts.
No, I have 5.68, but on the first page of the System Status, it shows firmware V16. The second page is where the EMM Provider numbers are shown. I don't really know what they mean, I just know they used to be different for each channel and my picture wasn't great, and when they all started turning up as 1080/159 my picture was WOW!!! My head was hurting, too...that's why the cocktail hour started early! :D

Dvlos said:
Vicki drug type, how much, and how often, I want to know, NOW.
The old fashioned one--booze--too much and too often lately! :D

FunkyBoss said:
Usually when something like this happens to my STB, it means it's time for a hard reboot by pulling the plug for a bit!
Not a chance!! It was after the green block, freeze and sound loss that when I did get it back, my picture was WOW!

txdude said:
5.68, V16 is the old version of the software, Right?

You said you lost 5 OTA channels? How is that a good thing?
I think it would be referred to as the "current" version. I believe the old version was 5.08, but I never had the old version, as I was just installed on 6/1 and both boxes were loaded with 5.68 V16

Losing some OTA channels was not a good thing, but the heart-stopping picture quality on what was left was worth it! And since the channels are mapped, I'm hoping I'll get them back.

Haven't have much time since last night, but I think I may have spotted some changes since my original post. I'll let you know when I can check it out and finish up the spreadsheet I promised. Then hopefully someone out here can help me pinpoint what antenna upgrade I may need--if I still need one!:)

Vicki

Vicki said:
I'm on 5.68, V16.
Looks like you have the same version 5.68 as most of us. V16, I believe is the security firmware version, a completely separate thing.

Sometime since about noon, the EMM Provider portion of my settings have changed to 1080/159
These are IDs of the transport streams that are comming on specific channels at a given moment. Not sure about 159, but the 1080 value is the standard EMM provider ID used by VOOM to identify its transport streams. (By the way, this 1080 number has nothing to do with the 1080i resolution. 1080 is just a Hex representation of 4224 - the EMM provider ID used by VOOM.)

... the System Authorization has changed from SWO to MP.
MP means "Missing program rekey". Could indicate that your STB needs to be re-initialized. I am not positive, but this could explain some missing OTA channels and other strange things with your box.

As for the WOW factor, this is interesting indeed. Are you saying that the PQ has suddenly improved? Can you give us more specifics? Is it sharper? Do you see less artifacts, like pixelation, etc.? Is it on all your channels, or just on some specific ones?

""""MP means "Missing program rekey". Could indicate that your STB needs to be re-initialized. I am not positive, but this could explain some missing OTA channels and other strange things with your box. """

ohh, i got a stb with MP how do i re-initialize???

Technut said:
ohh, i got a stb with MP how do i re-initialize???
If you believe this is causing some problems, call VOOM and ask then to "hit" your box. They will send the initialization signal via satellite.

thanks...

Attachments

• upgrade.gif
    upgrade.gif
    6.9 KB · Views: 208
Ilya, I just finished answering all your questions, and my computer fainted before I could submit it. I'm about to call it a night, but will try to give short reply. If and when I ever get the spreadsheet typed up, I think a look at it will answer most questions (and probably pose new ones) as it contains a great deal of detail for each channel across two days. I hope to have it posted by tomorrow afternoon (actually hoped for this afternoon, but you know about the best laid plans....

Ilya said:
Looks like you have the same version 5.68 as most of us. V16, I believe is the security firmware version, a completely separate thing. Yes.

These are IDs of the transport streams that are comming on specific channels at a given moment. Not sure about 159, but the 1080 value is the standard EMM provider ID used by VOOM to identify its transport streams. (By the way, this 1080 number has nothing to do with the 1080i resolution. 1080 is just a Hex representation of 4224 - the EMM provider ID used by VOOM.) But all my locals changed to 159 and MP yesterday when the picture went WOW, and most are still showing that today, although a couple of them have changed from MP to either SWO or N/A for the Authorization Status, and one changed from 159 and SWO at 4PM today, to 550 and SWO at 8PM. When I started answering your post around 8:15, I went back in to check it again, and it had changed back to 159 and MP, plus one channel I had lost yesterday is back and is at 159 and MP. Pictures on both are knockouts!! Haven't checked other lost channels yet or had enough time to spend on any one channel to assess whether the quality is sustained or whether I still get pixelization, drop outs, etc.

MP means "Missing program rekey". Could indicate that your STB needs to be re-initialized. I am not positive, but this could explain some missing OTA channels and other strange things with your box.
I don't know if this is a factor or not, since one of my missing channels had it yesterday, and is back tonight, showing 159 and MP!

As for the WOW factor, this is interesting indeed. Are you saying that the PQ has suddenly improved? Can you give us more specifics? Is it sharper? Do you see less artifacts, like pixelation, etc.? Is it on all your channels, or just on some specific ones?
Essentially yes to all of the above, but specific details on each channel will be in the spreadsheet.

On the whole, my pictures seem MUCH better...WOW in fact...

Ilya, I just finished answering all your questions, and my computer fainted before I could submit it. I'm about to call it a night, but will try to give short reply. If and when I ever get the spreadsheet typed up, I think a look at it will answer most questions (and probably pose new ones) as it contains a great deal of detail for each channel across two days. I hope to have it posted by tomorrow afternoon (actually hoped for this afternoon, but you know about the best laid plans.... ;)

Ilya said:
Looks like you have the same version 5.68 as most of us. V16, I believe is the security firmware version, a completely separate thing. Yes, not downloaded as an upgrade to the original 5.08 or whatever version, and not the new 6.0 or whatever that has the OTA mapping, but just loaded on my two boxes when they were installed..

These are IDs of the transport streams that are comming on specific channels at a given moment. Not sure about 159, but the 1080 value is the standard EMM provider ID used by VOOM to identify its transport streams. (By the way, this 1080 number has nothing to do with the 1080i resolution. 1080 is just a Hex representation of 4224 - the EMM provider ID used by VOOM.) But all my locals changed to 159 and MP yesterday when the picture went WOW, and most are still showing that today, although a couple of them have changed from MP to either SWO or N/A for the Authorization Status, and one changed from 159 and SWO at 4PM today, to 550 and SWO at 8PM. When I started answering your post around 8:15, I went back in to check it again, and it had changed back to 159 and MP, plus one channel I had lost yesterday is back and is at 159 and MP. Pictures on both are knockouts!! Haven't checked other lost channels yet or had enough time to spend on any one channel to assess whether the quality is sustained or whether I still get pixelization, drop outs, etc.

MP means "Missing program rekey". Could indicate that your STB needs to be re-initialized. I am not positive, but this could explain some missing OTA channels and other strange things with your box. I don't know if this is a factor or not, since one of my missing channels had it yesterday, and is back tonight, showing 159 and MP! :confused:

As for the WOW factor, this is interesting indeed. Are you saying that the PQ has suddenly improved? Can you give us more specifics? Is it sharper? Do you see less artifacts, like pixelation, etc.? Is it on all your channels, or just on some specific ones?[/QUOTE]

Essentially yes to all of the above, but more specific details for each individual channel will be in the spreadsheet.

Vicki

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts