I might end dropping dish network.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rusty813

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
Hawaii
Dish network monthly bill is getting to high, I am paying 153 a month and I have the everything pack. I was looking at directv and there price is 129.99 and there multisports pack is included.

You should call them & tell them exactly what you posted here. You may get some sort of discount for a while. Either way that phone call will help your decision to stay or go. Good luck.

Are you sure you are comparing APPLES to APPLES? I agree DISH is getting too expensive and am thinking the same thing.
DISH Website shows $124.99/mo for the Everything pack.

Last edited:
Might have more than one DVR. I would doubt if the bill of an older DTV customer would be much cheaper. But you would get a break for a while changing. Lot of people play that game.

Wow. Everything Pack. I would think about dropping some of the programming before I would make such a drastic change. Some of the premiums are highly repetitive. Not sure how many or what type of receivers the OP has, but I would suggest simplifying and/or reducing the number of receivers on the account in order to reduce costs. I also don't see the loss of certain channels as a reason to jump ship.

My .02 ... just sayin'.

Rusty, as upset as you have been with Dish lately I'm surprised you haven't already switched (guys, remember the DNS thread where he wanted his channels no matter what, & he thought sat guys was taking over for AAD?).

Maybe you would be happier with Direct & can finally get your distant networks through them.

I have everything, all the premiums, Blockbuster @ Home, America's 250 and 3 receivers, 2 are DVRs, one is a 211 with a USB HD I use like a DVR. I only pay $135 because of all the 1/2 price deals they gave me. Before that, I had all but 1 premium and paid $155. And I am out of contract, so give them a call.

I was wondering myself if the Directv offer is the current new customer price that will change as well. As others have mentioned, you got to do what's best for you. Just make sure you research all the changes and setups

As usual the whole story not told. Yes, Their top package after promotions is $129. But guess what, DISH is $124. The Sports pack is included with Direct TV, however it isn't what DISH has for a Sports pack. Direct TV gives you (based on their website) all the regionals, but of course no pro sports. It includes one or two other channels such as Strike Zone, but not much more. There are channels in their pack that DISH has in their regular packages. I'm not saying one is better or worse, but they are not exactly comparable.

All that said, his main purpose is stated as saving with Direct TV. Other than the promotional period, I doubt it would be much if any of a savings particularly not if he is getting one or two receivers or HD outlets.

Do both prices from your OP ($154 for Dish, $130 for Direct) include taxes/fees? If the Dish price is your final bill and the Direct price is what's posted online for their 'Everything pack', then you're not comparing apples to apples.

To the OP, what is the D* pricing after the promo period. That is what you need to compare to your E* bill. For example, the NFL package is free the first year, but becomes a charge after that. If you have a dvr and an ehd, once you cancel Dish, all your recoordings on the ehd are gone forever. Not sure about the internal drive, but I think they are gone also. The recordings are keyed to your account number. Think what your giving up if you switch. Look at your viewing habits. Are there any premiums you rarely watch and could drop to save money?

Dish is the least expensive provider. To save money, you will have to drop channels, or switch to DTV and get their new customer offer. DTV really hits you hard in the second year of a contract though.

To save the big bucks drop all but basic and buy a roku, netflix, hulu, etc.

I am not planning on leaving any time soon but I am looking for ways to trim the bill.
My Dish bill is higher than my dad's first mortgage payment and close to my first house payment.
If I could tell my dad that I PAY to watch TV, he would tell me I'm crazy.
there used to be nice channel guides that allowed you to compare what was included in each package. Lately I haven't seen the comparison guide.
i am also a bit frustrated that they include dozens of channels I don't care about like ESPN, CNN and aljazera, but omit a few that I would like, Fox Business, and Beck.
it would be great if they would build a pack for folks like me. And I know I could gem in the 250, but that doesn't help me cut the bill.

You're not alone in your thinking. The problem is much like you posted. How to cut costs but get the channels you do watch. And I know exactly what you mean about your Dad.

Wow. Everything Pack. I would think about dropping some of the programming before I would make such a drastic change. Some of the premiums are highly repetitive. Not sure how many or what type of receivers the OP has, but I would suggest simplifying and/or reducing the number of receivers on the account in order to reduce costs. I also don't see the loss of certain channels as a reason to jump ship.

My .02 ... just sayin'.
That's what I did. Dropped down to "250", that will save me $45 from what I read. I was paying $175 for my AEP,but I have 3 receivers,service ,BB@H,superstations.

That's what I did. Dropped down to "250", that will save me $45 from what I read. I was paying $175 for my AEP,but I have 3 receivers,service ,BB@H,superstations.

Same here. I had three receivers. I realized I could get by with two, and a $20, fifty-foot HDMI cable and a half-hour in my crawlspace helped to make that a reality. Didn't watch that much on BB@H, so that went away, too. Will soon be saving on my AAD bill every month, seeing as that goes away very soon. Still have the Superstations until they pry them from my cold, dead hands.

Same here. I had three receivers. I realized I could get by with two, and a $20, fifty-foot HDMI cable and a half-hour in my crawlspace helped to make that a reality. Didn't watch that much on BB@H, so that went away, too. Will soon be saving on my AAD bill every month, seeing as that goes away very soon. Still have the Superstations until they pry them from my cold, dead hands.

I have the superstations as well, don't want to change the subject, not a big watcher of the supers but don't think I want to drop them, now that they are not available anymore. In the past I was more of a seasonal adding and dropping them during the year

I was down to paying for one superstation out of LA until I realized it was also included in my locals. Bye bye KTLA CW super.
it was on channel 5 and 235?
5 is all I need.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts