I miss the old days!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jamestheman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 15, 2008
Dallas,Texas
When I was a child we had a 10 foot mesh dish, back in the late 80's when everyone did. I looked at the guy named gary burgoris website and he had a wild feed list and ballgame list! Man, I wish all these were still ITC today! I liked analog better because you dont have to wait! I know there are more channels nowdays, however, I bet the feeds arent as good! Do any of you guys feel that way?

When I was a child we had a 10 foot mesh dish, back in the late 80's when everyone did. I looked at the guy named gary burgoris website and he had a wild feed list and ballgame list! Man, I wish all these were still ITC today! I liked analog better because you dont have to wait! I know there are more channels nowdays, however, I bet the feeds arent as good! Do any of you guys feel that way?

Gary died back in 2003...

There are some things I like better about todays satellite situation and some things I like better about the past. I like HD, that satellite equipment prices have dropped several hundred percent, and the fact that digital has increased the amount of satellite real estate.

The past had that newness, that cutting edge feel about it. Gone was the snowy ghosty antenna reception and was replaced by perfect pictures from another part of the country or another part of the world.

...those were the days...good memories...

One thing about the old days over now. We got all the new channels first, and got to subscribe to the masters. If they would bring that back that that would be great. Stupid pizza plates, cable. and greed sees to keeping us away from what once made c band great.

I could put the kids in front of the TV and tune in on the entire weeks Ninja Turtles in one sitting!
Watching the Olympic feeds from the Canadians was cool.

One thing about the old days over now. We got all the new channels first, and got to subscribe to the masters. If they would bring that back that that would be great. Stupid pizza plates, cable. and greed sees to keeping us away from what once made c band great.

There were alot of good things that's for sure. If only we had HD and all these great plasma and LCD tv sets back then.

I could put the kids in front of the TV and tune in on the entire weeks Ninja Turtles in one sitting!
Watching the Olympic feeds from the Canadians was cool.
I actually watched the turtles every week morning in the summer from like 5 to 10! 10 eps everyday, and I would tell my friends what happened and spoil it for them.

I actually watched the turtles every week morning in the summer from like 5 to 10! 10 eps everyday, and I would tell my friends what happened and spoil it for them.

Used to love the blocks on the weekends for Home Improvement. :)

Hmm I like it better today actually, the only thing from the early days was like free hbo and stuff but with my 4dtv sub on those and all the rest of the stuff I watch is free. Still get channels first but once they go encrypted we can't sub :(

No to be one to complain, but back then you could find listings of wild feeds updated weekly in OnSat and Orbit. Now is verboten to speak of these things...

i missed the tvro talk show gary did on friday nites (fnl) skybird.
and w0kie (now skyscanner) talk - on galaxy 19 ku now.
i learned so much on fnl i learned abt adding ku and the 4dtv 920 i bought one of the early models. and if u had a problem just call and someone will call back with a answer. capt herm
question time was cool too. now i live in an apartment no c band but do have the glorystar ku band system on my deck pointed at galaxy19 and amc4.
john

I just miss how back then if nothing was on a network/cable channel you could always swing up on the horizon and find a feed of another show/sports that you like at almost anytime of day.

Plus, the wrestling stuff seemed so much better back then, tons of it all around.

I remember a few years back my beloved Dallas Cowboys were playing the Seahawks in Seattle on Monday Night Football. As luck would have it, there was a big fire in a Chicago high rise that night. ABC 7 in Chicago (MNF was on ABC back then) instead of airing the game was showing the fire for like 2 hours. Now I feel bad about a fire but, there is nothing I can do. Watching a building burn on TV for that long isn't all that fun. Fortunately I had my BUD. I was watching a good ole C band feed of the game and I remember thinking several times "man I'd be so pissed if I didn't have this dish right now.:) It turned out to be a great game too. Something like a 39-38 final or somewhere in that area as I recall.

Best thing was the free Sunday Ticket before VCII came along and TVN had it ;) Sunday mornings cranking the dish from bird to bird (marked with pencil on the arm) and searching each transponder x transponder even then using the Tenna rotator to switch to odd & repeat... :D No commercials and you could see how the broadcast team really felt ;) and didn't miss anything because of late commercial cut back in...

Best thing was the free Sunday Ticket before VCII came along and TVN had it ;) Sunday mornings cranking the dish from bird to bird (marked with pencil on the arm) and searching each transponder x transponder even then using the Tenna rotator to switch to odd & repeat... :D No commercials and you could see how the broadcast team really felt ;) and didn't miss anything because of late commercial cut back in...

I don't go quite that far back. TVN had it when I got my BUD. It was nice though, I used to order in February and get the early bird special for $129. Try paying that price today.

How about the summer of 87 , or was it 1988? they were testing the Videopal thing for PPV?
Cable Video Store was on Gal 3 I think, or in that vicinity back then, I remember leaving my tv on CVS for like a month, they would turn off the encryption and leave it off sometimes half a day, or longer, still have a few ppv movies on vhs from back then. "Push a button-rent a movie" lol
Too bad it never really caught on for c-banders, the prices were too high and the choices too few. But strange, once they put the same feature on Dishnetwork, people thought it was great to pay 5bucks for a movie.

Last edited:
I have some old Cowboys games on VHS from the Good ole days... ;) one was Roger bringing them back from 2 TD's behind against the cursed Redskins :D

Oh man. I loved those days. Every Cowboy fan enjoys beating the Redskins:cool:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)